JohnMitchell

Ever fly standby?

Vskydiver and her folks are back in Boston visiting our daughter this weekend at Olin College. I didn't have leave from work until the last minute (thank you, oh understaffed FAA), so now I'm trying to join them using a standby pass from a friend, since a regular round trip ticket this late is around $1000.:S

I got bumped off the red-eye last night, the 8:45 this morning, and no room on the red-eye tonight.[:/] Tomorrow morning looks okay, though. Wish me luck.

This it totally not my favorite way to travel.:S:D

Usually only when I'm trying to go home earlier than my already-confirmed flight. I've had decent luck, except during "irregular operations," of course.

Hope you make it on. That SEA-BOS flight is a bitch, though - it's always pretty well packed.[:/]

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Just yesterday! I was in Olympia for a meeting, having flown from Spokane way too early yesterday morning. The meeting ended early and the drive back to Seatac was clear. Ended up on a 4:00 instead of a 7:00. That's great because I can't afford too many airport beers.

Turn around trip next Monday for another meeting, and a 7:00 on Tuesday evening. Between Spokane and Seattle it's always hit an miss though, as I've tried before and not been successful.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

My friend John, who came down here quite a few times for state record attempts that got weathered out, was able to stand-by at the airport for an earlier flight on all but one. Granted that was 10 years or so ago. I've never tried it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I flew standby once when I was returning home from my first Christmas leave.

I got to the airport 50min prior to departure, and they said they wouldn't check my bags for the current flight I was on. When I asked about it, they said I would have to either fly standby, or throw away the bags. They wouldn't allow me to fly on my scheduled flight, with my bags on another.

So I chose standby. Next flight...full. Flight after...full.

Eventually I called my dad, and had him pick me up. We paid $100 change fee to simply switch me to another flight. It worked, and I got an extra day of leave out of it ;)

Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Vskydiver and her folks are back in Boston visiting our daughter this weekend at Olin College. I didn't have leave from work until the last minute (thank you, oh understaffed FAA), so now I'm trying to join them using a standby pass from a friend, since a regular round trip ticket this late is around $1000.:S

I got bumped off the red-eye last night, the 8:45 this morning, and no room on the red-eye tonight.[:/] Tomorrow morning looks okay, though. Wish me luck.

This it totally not my favorite way to travel.:S:D

Sortof as a backup. I get tickets on flights I know I can make, and am often pleasntly surprised at being able to squeeze on the one before that.

That sort of thing doesn't work if you're traveling when business people do, who want to be at work on Monday and back home on Friday.

So I try not to travel when business people do.

Suck it up cupcake...:D

Try flyin' non-rev stand-by ! :S

Don't know what airline you're using but if it's an employee pass, your friend has access to the load list and can tell which flights are more open and what your position is on the stand-by list...if the flight is at capacity and you're more than 5 back on the list...get comfortable. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Done alot when I worked for an airline. The great thing was that I could put on a uniform and ride in any open flight attendant jumpseat so I almost never got bumped. Pilots could also ride jumpseats if they were not taken. That said I'm not sure what the regs are if you are riding on a buddy pass. Most likely this will not be an option for you.

See if you can get an agent to look at flights from a nearby airport maybe.

Good luck

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

When the airline strike happened last (whernever that was) Streaker and I were in Fla and the flight to Chicago was questionable. We went to the airport early, got on the standby list for the first flight out. We were numbers 10 and 11 and didn't think there was any chance in HELL! but we got on. Cool too, cuz we went to Chicago for one day to see our new granddaughter, and the extra couple hours with her were PRICELESS
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

you didn't offer "All the time, and it sucks."
Many airlines have done away with "standby" in favor of offering a ticket for a 100.00 or 50.00 "alternate" fee.
It's rarely fun, and it's always best to plan for the earliest or latest flights of the day. The latter is a drag because you have to find somewhere to sleep if the flight is full.

Many airlines have done away with "standby" in favor of offering a ticket for a 100.00 or 50.00 "alternate" fee.
It's rarely fun, and it's always best to plan for the earliest or latest flights of the day. The latter is a drag because you have to find somewhere to sleep if the flight is full.

no I think John is referring to a airline employee "buddy pass" standby ticket.. but in John case all the high pass standby pass class get seated first, Employees, parents of employees then "buddys" so it can be hard to travel standby with all the flight schedule cut backs lately.

I work for a airline and I travel standby only always.. and its not bad at least I can pick my flights...but its been tough to get those first class seats lately...

no I think John is referring to a airline employee "buddy pass" standby ticket.. but in John case all the high pass standby pass class get seated first, Employees, parents of employees then "buddys" so it can be hard to travel standby with all the flight schedule cut backs lately.

I work for a airline and I travel standby only always.. and its not bad at least I can pick my flights...but its been tough to get those first class seats lately...

Hey Mike~ You got one of those "Marry Me & Fly for FREE" Tee-Shirts? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey Mike~ You got one of those "Marry Me & Fly for FREE" Tee-Shirts? ;)

No.. I'm not marrying any one.. it's the #1 cause of divorce. :P