skittles_of_SDC

Parents, would you...

I'm not a parent, but yes I think I would give it to them.
When my birthday came up last may, my mom asked me what to buy. She wanted to buy me a Nintendo DS, but since my boyfriend already has one I didn't need one more.... So I kinda told her that there was something called an audible altimeter, wich was at that time the same price as the DS.

She hates it that I'm skydiving, and is scared every weekend that the weather is great. And she didn't really like it for a birthday present, but she bought it anyway because she knew it would make me happy, and because it is a safety thingy. Ok, it is not as expensive as an AAD, but it doesn't have to be a brand new one does it?

Anyway, if I could afford it the anwser would be definitely yes.
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

I'm not a parent but my answer is yes.

My whuffo Dad thinks he should buy me an entirely new rig because the rental stuff is probably "not as safe". :|

This is not a problem. Take the rig.;)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I think that you should change the wording of your question.

Instead of:

"Parents, would you buy your child an AAD if they asked for it as a birthday/Christmas present?"

It should be:

"Is it appropriate to ask your parents to buy you an AAD for a birthday/Christmas present?"

Because that's what you're really asking. I don't have kids but I clicked on the thread anyway because I'm bored and nosey. But the question absolutely applies to me because I have parents and that's the meat of the question.

Would I ask my parents to buy me one? Nope.

Do my parents know that I skydive and that skydiving equipment is expensive and would be well recieved in any form as gifts for any occasion? Yup.

For my birthday this year I got two very nice pairs of goggles - one for bright, sunny days and one for the other 364 days in Seattle - and a $200 gift card to use towards skydiving (or whatever else I wanted to do with it).

My parents still ask for my Christmas list even though I am 35 and they try to comply with my wishes and I make sure to put on the list things that are reasonable. Well... Except for one thing. I have been asking for a grey pony for nearly 35 years and they have yet to - er - pony up. (sorry, I had to)
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

They seem to be okay with it but I guess I should ask them. I never really talked to them about it. Mainly because they never acted or sounded worried.

If they don't like me skydiving its probably because I've only spent like 3 weekends with my family since I started skydiving. :P

EDIT: I'm not necessarily saying new. Even something with like 2-4 years left would give me time to get my shit together. At which point I could buy a brand new one.

Parents, would you buy your child an AAD?

No, but I would swap my child for an AAD, given that my Cypres isn't far from expiry.

Don't worry, I don't actually have any children. :)
I was never in a hurry to buy an AAD. Eventually my (jumping) girlfriend bought one for me. But then she made me pay her back in installments.

No.

But even when they get old enough to be jumping age, I don't expect they would ask. One of my primary responsibilities as a parent is to teach my kids to be self sufficient and responsible for taking care of themselves.

The opportunity to do fun things is a privilege not a right. If we want to do the fun things in life, there are certain responsibilities that have to be met first.

Even with younger children, we've practiced this enough that they understand that we... "Work first and play later." This is just a simple basic truth that even a 9 year old can understand.

Another simple fact is if we can't afford it, we don't buy it. If we really want it, save for it and if we've saved enough, then we can buy it. If we want it sooner, then work more, get an extra job, do whatever it takes.

Hopefully as they get older, they will make good choices. But by the time they're 18, discretionary spending on a hobby is going to be entirely their choice.

I'm not understanding why any adult would 'ask' his parents for anything for Christmas. You're not a 6 year old waiting for Santa to show up, you're all grown up now, at least physically :)

Spoken like an adult :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Maybe you should've bought an AAD before a 10,000 trailer. [Laugh][Laugh][Blush]
-------------------------------------------
...maybe. But, no.

Agreed!! Cause i can't shower in your AAD. :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

buy your child an AAD, if they asked for it as a birthday/Christmas present?

I know it would be a hell of an expensive present but knowing that it could possibly save their life someday would you buy it for them? I'm not sure whether to even ask for one because I don't really want my parents questioning how much i am spending on my rig. [:/]
Also if you as a parent weren't a skydiver and your child was, would you buy it for them?

Dude!, after the stunt you pulled to pay for your AFP? WTF
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

I know it would be a hell of an expensive present but knowing that it could possibly save their life someday would you buy it for them? I'm not sure whether to even ask for one because I don't really want my parents questioning how much i am spending on my rig. [:/]
Also if you as a parent weren't a skydiver and your child was, would you buy it for them?

I still got more $$$. B|
It's just a matter of would my parents be more upset if I used more college money to buy it or if i asked them to buy it for me. :D

I still got more $$$. B|
It's just a matter of would my parents be more upset if I used more college money to buy it or if i asked them to buy it for me. :D

Well you got balls,
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

...because I don't really want my parents questioning how much i am spending on my rig.

So you're not honest with Mommy & Daddy, and basically wanna 'scam' them into buying you something so you can feel better about playing with the big kids...:S

If you were MY kid I'd just give ya an acid mesh reserve and a fistfull of jump tickets! :ph34r:

How freakin' old ARE you? (chronologically that is)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

...because I don't really want my parents questioning how much i am spending on my rig.

So you're not honest with Mommy & Daddy, and basically wanna 'scam' them into buying you something so you can feel better about playing with the big kids...:S

If you were MY kid I'd just give ya an acid mesh reserve and a fistfull of jump tickets! :ph34r:

How freakin' old ARE you? (chronologically that is)

its not like im not being honest. just withholding info. if they do ask i will tell them. :)

Re: leveling with parents about your being a skydiver....

I knew this kid who was in his early 20s or so,,,,,,,must have been in the late 70's early 80's

gooood skydiver, been jumping for years.... fun to jump with , safe,,, careful,,, had about 800 jumps or so...
and he's heading back to Philly,, where he lives, and so I say,, "hey man if i'm down that way,, how can i get a hold of you"??:|

and he says " well you can call my parents house" ..:)"Only DON'T mention skydiving!!!!":|:S

... and so I ask " WHY???" and he says..
" They don't KNOW i skydive !!!! "

hahahaha.. that was the funniest thing,,, i EVER heard.......hahahaha.. but he was serious...
"they'd freak out ,, if they found out about it " he told me......
:o:DB|B|;)

I hope he's STILL jumping !!!

jay tea