murrays

Mitch Mitchell Dead

Mitch Mitchell, the last surviving member of the original Jimi Hendrix Experience, was found dead in his room in Portland, OR this morning.

Story Here

:(

RIP Mitch.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Damn. Mitchell was a cat whome I thought never got enough credit for how good he was. Hey, play with Hendrix and have your drums miked like they were and you won't get the credit you deserved. But listen to it (by the way, Noel Redding was fuckign Geddy Lee BEFORE Geddy Lee. Geddy even LOOKED like Noel - bespectacled, emaciated, etc)

The guy was a jazz drummer who moved into rock. A freaking LEAD drummer. Imagine how much more highly regarded he'd be if he had better miking back then.

RIP Mitch. One of the best rock drummers EVER.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yep, his crushing drum beats were up to the level of Jimi's guitar work. Remember "Manic Depression"?

Just the example I was thinking of. He contributed a hell of a lot to the sound of the Experience.

RIP.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

:(:(:(

Some of my best musical moments were listening to Jimi and Mitch working their magic...1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)/Moon Turn the Tides, what an incredible solo, Same with long version of Voodoo Chile.

One of the most under-recognized drummers in my opinion. Listening to his complex and incredibly fast snare rolls really blew my mind at times. I loved watching him drum in the Monterey video too, he put his body and soul into what he did, and you could hear it.

RIP Mitch, your music will live forever.[:/]

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I tried to mike a few drummers with lots of toms and stuff and what a complex project getting all the levels right- but what fun when you've got the bass drum the snare, hi hat, and especially the ride tweaked just right.

if only Mitch had the gear they have now instead of probably one SM 57 overhead on a boom. magic!

So I take it you're a drummer? well now you're officially the coolest lawyer that I know of. Ally Mcbeal included.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

just imagine...
A Mitch Mitchell and John Bonham duet.
:)

Add Keith Moon and make that a trio!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

A buddy of mine emailed me and said, "....the only man who could keep the beat for Hendrix. Nobody else ever sounded as good with him after the Experience broke up."

Very true.
--
Murray

No sir. Not a drummer, which is probably the reason why I appreciate them so much. I'd done the guitar and bass thing for years and just couldn't get the drums down. And I learned that wherever we played it was the drummer upon which we based our mixes.

And I've also learned that there is a difference between a guy who is great at playing the drums and a great fuckin' drummer. Great drummers are the rarest breed. it's what I wish I coiuld be.

My wife is hotter than your wife.