mstlaurent

Used DAA questions (Cypres VS Cypres-2 VS Vigil)

Hello,

I'm in the process of finding my first rig... No easy task... But fun! :-)

I have some questions regarding AADs.

I believe the Cypres has a higher total cost of ownership than the Vigil. I would prefer a Vigil but there are few used Vigil for sale and they are more expensive. I was wondering if a good deal on a used Cypres would still be cheaper option.

Is it worth to pay 300-400$ more for a used Vigil and pay less for service later?

And what about the Cypres VS the Cypres-2.
First difference I noticed is that the battery last more that twice on the new model. Is the Cypres still a good purchase? Is it worth to pay 100-200$ more for a Vigil-2?

That's quite all for now ;-)

Thanks!

Martin

Is it worth to pay 300-400$ more for a used Vigil and pay less for service later?

Just because there is no scheduled maintenance of the Vigil, it doesn't mean it will never have to go to the manufacturer.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

hey if you're comparing, don't for get to look at Argus. They're just about to begin shipping.

http://www.argus-aad.com

Hmm doubt that, I talked to them last weekend and I remember something about it being available to the general public sometime early next year.

Edited to say: their website says April 2006 too.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yeah, the thought I want going through my mind as I’m plummeting toward the planet with only 4 seconds to live before a horrific death, in a haze as I’m coming to after being knocked silly in a free fall collision is “S*** I bought the cheapest AAD I could find!” ;)

I strongly suggest you research this more and make a decision on which is the right piece of equipment and then start considering costs.

I second that you should read the article in skydiving from last month on AAD’s. It will arm you with the information to make an informed decision.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

:-) I don't want to have this thought neither!
I know that a new unit is probably safer.
I don't want to buy the cheapest AAD I could find, I want the best value. That's why I was asking about the differences about the Cypres, Cypres-2 and Vigil. I want to know if the Cypres is still a good AAD and how much less it is worth than the new model.

Just because there is no scheduled maintenance of the Vigil, it doesn't mean it will never have to go to the manufacturer.

there's also no guarantee that Vigil won't determine through service rates that a scheduled maintenence is necessary.

For a first rig, if the OP can find a good price on a C1 with 2-3 years left AND the 8yr service done, I think it's the best cheap course to take. No question about the reliability, the costs are known, and at the end the supply of used vigils will be better, and their service history more established.

No scheduled maintenance on a Vigil. Hmmm. so your getting ready for the first load of the day on your favorite weekend of the year, all your mates are going jumping and your Vigil says I need to go back to the factory.

While still a possibility with a Cypres (1 or 2 ) IMO less likely due to the servicing.

Do you only take your car / bike / AIRPLANE ?! for a service when their is a problem or do you take preventative measures.

Do you only replace a line on your parachute when it breaks or do you change the line set after a certain number of jumps.

Simple thoughts by simple me
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.