SixtySecRush

Cypress question

A two pin has, well, 2 pins.

The Racer container system is designed with 2 reserve pins on one cable. It distributes the tension over two pins to minimize hard pulls that could be inherant with an external pop top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

2-pin containers were fashionable before Cypres was introduced (circa 1991), but have slowly faded in popularity, because 2-pin Cypres cost $125 more.
Mirage re-designed their reserve container from 2-pin to 1-pin when they re-started production in the 1990s.
Now the only 2-pin containers still made in significant numbers are Racer and Strong tandem.
You can install a 2-pin Cypres in a 1-pin container, just neatly coil the extra cutter and cable in the pocket.
However, installing a 1-pin Cypres in a 2-pin container will not save your life ...

You can install a 2-pin Cypres in a 1-pin container, just neatly coil the extra cutter and cable in the pocket.

Rob,
Is that actually legal? ... you're usually pretty up on the gouge, so I'm guessing that it is per Airtec. I had thought that one of the pre-firing checks the 2-Pin Cypres' did was a continuity check to both cutters, and if one failed, it didn't fire?... thought I heard that once somewhere. So, if you used a 2-Pin Cypres' as a 1-Pin, like you describe, you may be adding the potential for another failure mode. Anyway, not that Cypres is an excuse not to get your main or reserve out on your own... ;)

Is that actually legal? ... you're usually pretty up on the gouge, so I'm guessing that it is per Airtec. I had thought that one of the pre-firing checks the 2-Pin Cypres' did was a continuity check to both cutters, and if one failed, it didn't fire?... thought I heard that once somewhere. So, if you used a 2-Pin Cypres' as a 1-Pin, like you describe, you may be adding the potential for another failure mode. Anyway, not that Cypres is an excuse not to get your main or reserve out on your own...

I think he is saying coil the cutter in the Cypres pouch, not disconnect it.

Derek

Is that actually legal? ... you're usually pretty up on the gouge, so I'm guessing that it is per Airtec. I had thought that one of the pre-firing checks the 2-Pin Cypres' did was a continuity check to both cutters, and if one failed, it didn't fire?... thought I heard that once somewhere. So, if you used a 2-Pin Cypres' as a 1-Pin, like you describe, you may be adding the potential for another failure mode. Anyway, not that Cypres is an excuse not to get your main or reserve out on your own...

I think he is saying coil the cutter in the Cypres pouch, not disconnect it.

Derek

I understand this.

I had thought that one of the pre-firing checks the 2-Pin Cypres' did was a continuity check to both cutters, and if one failed, it didn't fire?...

I understand this.

Then you realize there wouldn't be a continuity problem and wouldn't be adding a failure mode.

Derek

I had thought that one of the pre-firing checks the 2-Pin Cypres' did was a continuity check to both cutters, and if one failed, it didn't fire?...

I understand this.

Then you realize there wouldn't be a continuity problem and wouldn't be adding a failure mode.

Derek

I think he was asking whether, in order to comply with manufacturer's recommendations, you would need to put a piece of Cypres cord under tension through the cutter you weren't using. :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Rob,
Is that actually legal?

I'm not Rob, but I can answer this with absolute certainty. It is legal, and if you look on the SSK website, you can find the answer. It isn't very common, though, and I think I've only seen it done twice. The second cutter doesn't know it doesn't have a closing loop through it, so there is no reason not to do it.

I understand this.

Derek

HnS,

If it is true that a 2-Pin Cypres will not fire if one of the cutters fails a continuity check during the processors pre-firing checks... again, I'm not sure and will query Airtec... but say that is true... then if you were using a 2-Pin Cypres as a 1-Pin, and by some reason the extra "stowed" cutter was damaged, then the good cutter inplace with the reserve loop passed through it would be of no good... i.e. unit senses 1 of the two cutters failed, doesn't fire when it should... it doesn't know the failed one is stowed. Of course if this was a presistent condition, the unit may not even turn on in the first place and it would all be academic.

I think he was asking whether, in order to comply with manufacturer's recommendations, you would need to put a piece of Cypres cord under tension through the cutter you weren't using.

That woudn't affect anything though. Maybe I'm confused.

Derek

I didn't mean it would have any practical effect; I was making a joke about regulations. Regulations care that their letter is followed, even if the result is not an improvement.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Ah, OK. I see what you are saying. I don't think it is an issue or we would have heard about 2-pin rigs with Cypres's failing from broken wires. I think it is better to have a 2-pin Cypres in a 1-pin rig than no Cypres with almost no chance of it failing from the second cutter breaking.

Derek

I was packing a Talon at the weekend with a 2-pin in it. The owner was with me and during the course of packing we discussed how the Cypres worked as I was feeding the loop through the cutter.

Interesting comment from him was "..how long before we need an electronic eye on the cutter to ensure the loop is properly located?"

If I ever get that bit worng would someone please buy me a membership to the local golf club:S
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.