pwln

Wife's car broken into.

I like to say that I live in an OK part of town on a good block, but I have 2 camera's out front and 1 in the back. Also I was getting ready to buy 2 for the back of the garage.
So maybe I don't live in a good part of town at all.

I went out of town for work, from OH ot WI yesterday. This morning at 4:38am 2 guys checked the car out, broke the window, hung out for a minute then got her XM and GPS (Navigon 7100). They checked the goods then went back for the chargers. almost 4 or 5 minutes total.

It looks like I may have a few good face shots. Insurance covered the window and GPS but not the XM. XM will send a free one to replace the stolen one. I kind of want to keep paying for the service but use parental control so they only get channel 1 and channel 247.

Assholes.>:(

Firstly, why in the world would you leave that sort of stuff out in the open in your car? That's inviting thieves. Secondly, do you have the serial numbers for your expensive stuff? If you have the serial numbers then they can be entered into NCIC as stolen.

With out serial numbers you're pretty much never going to get your stuff back. In the future, please take positive steps to prevent yourself from being a victim. Keep expensive stuff out of your car. If you leave it in your car, then please keep the items out of site.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It usually is not in sight. It is taken down and put away somewhere in the car. Recently with the holidays she has been taking them out and with her. She forgot last night.

I do have the S/N's the XM S/N has been reported, we just found the GPS S/N.
We have the video and the people look local.

She now has the video with application ready to burn, all she had to do was put a CD in. I'm 477miles from home right now, so I can't do it. I hope that I don't have to do it when I get home.

She also has the report number. I told her to contact them with the other S/N and let them know she has the video. I told her if she got the video to them that they would maybe know the people in it.

What I should do is post pictures in my front yard and show the video to the people on my block, they would take care of it. Also I should post the video to Youtube. But that is not the right thing to do.

On the bright side, she parked in the garage. (The glass won't be replaced until Wednesday.) Insurance got her a rental car, I don't know if that was the best move but that IS why we pay for that extra coverage.

Edited because I'm a retard and can't spell "the".

By local, I meant I think I've seen them walking around the 'hood. The girl was wearing a jacket with a hood and the guy had a ball cap and a Titains coat with some sort of black stripe on his pants. Both were white. The guy was medium to heavy build with that line of a beard trimmed around the jaw line. The Girl looked pretty skinny and I know I've seen her walking around.

I think they live close by, I don't know them but I'm sure I've seen them.

They didn't know they were on camera because they milled around for 5 minutes and looked at the porch with 2 camera's on it more than once.

There have been a lot of garage and house break in's this year, most of the people that live around me now have guns on their person most of the time. (and CCW for those that would ask). I'll just get more and better camera's.

I'm thinking about putting a sign under my security system yard sign that says video recording or the more funny "Smile, your on camera".

What I should do is post pictures in my front yard and show the video to the people on my block, they would take care of it. Also I should post the video to Youtube. But that is not the right thing to do.

the "right thing" to do is catch them, bound them up with duct tape and smack the hell out of them with a stick. hell, around here we just fire up the back hoe, dig a hole, load the gun....well, you get the picture.;)

Your camera surveillance is good, but only helps capture the bad guys after-the-fact.

I use motion-detector security floodlights. If someone enters the zone, the lights flash on, and stay on for 5 minutes or so. That draws enough attention that it will run off anyone hoping to break-in and steal something. It's a preventative measure, rather than an after-the-fact measure.

All I would have to do is sit on my porch between 4-5am apparently that's when they are out "walking". Not too many people out during that time. Not even many cars drive by then.

Only problem is, I'd have to be home for that.

I do like the stick idea and I did get some OSU duct tape for Christmas. That would make for a strange news story.

you could always do what my dad did to stop the local dogs from peeing on his beloved RV tires. He electrified it with a cattle fence system. I touch it one day and BAAAAAM! my arm flew back from the shock. no shit, this is a true story.

so then one morning we are eating breakfest and all of a sudden hear all this barking and whining.... a dog is rolling around on the driveway, gets up and runs away. never saw the dog again....problem solved, no casulties. :)

He electrified it with a cattle fence system. I touch it one day and BAAAAAM! my arm flew back from the shock.

Check local laws, that's illegal in some states.;)

i am sure it was illegal where we lived, the bay area in California. but so is having a dog off the leash, and, well, so is breaking into my car. do believe THAT is illegal in all 50 states. thats why you keep the old knife to put in their dead cold hand. "officer, he came at me, said he was gonna kill me, so i defended myself." defending yourself against bodily harm is legal, but you cant defend property with deadly force.

but you cant defend property with deadly force.

That's what really gets me. I could shoot em if they come in my house BUT if I were to catch them in the detached garage I get in trouble for holding them at gun point until the police arrive. I'd still do it, but what a pain.

Wow :o, I'd have a gun by my bed too. I do have 3 dogs that may give me a few extra seconds at some point. An alarm system does not really do a lot of good. Who arms it when they are just hanging out in the house (not sleeping or gone)? Everyone that has an alarm knows they should but a very few do that sort of thing. Duress code, most people don't know it or would not remember when they needed it.

If someone I don't know comes to the door, I make my wife answer it and go to the other room or half way upstairs. Most of the time I'm half dressed or less and she is dressed, that makes it "right", right? It also would allow more time if something happened, I never thought of that.