propilot

Wings freefly pud handle and brake stowage

but primarily the customer service

You aint wrong there buddy. I live in Australia and have just bought my 3rd Wings. Had a couple of little issues with the first two (they were brought at the same time) As a working skydiver being without my rigs means no income :Sor borrowed gear:( Not only did Ankie organise to cover the cost of posting them back to Sunrise for the repairs she had me back in the air in 11 days flat!!!
:o
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Whats your opinion of the Aerodyne Freefly handle design?

I looked in the manual, and it appears to be a good copy of the Wings handle. It might be more secure because it tucks into both the pouch and the flap, but still has the entanglement hazard string.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

depends on what you like. Some prefer the grip on a hackey, others prefer the 'security' of a pud. I found the first couple of jumps to feel odd when pitching with the change of grip but I wouldn't change back to a hackey....period.

try and jump one before you order, on the other hand if you get the pud and then find that you don't like it its not expensive to change.

Good luck and enjoy your Wings
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Cool Thanks. One more question, I have always jumped BOC that were spandex, how do the cordura feel? Do they stay tight enough over time? I know you have to replace the spandex over 300 jumps or so. Didn't know if it would be worth going to the cordura.

Thanks
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

Hey Trent, and all that are concerned about the Wings FF handle. I have had 2 wings rigs now, and I cannot say enough about them. I have never had my handle come out on me to date. However, I do have one piece of advice for all that have this handle on their system. If for whatever reason you put your main on another container that has a spandex BOC, you are taking a huge chance there. I had a cutaway, unrelated to the handle...line twists, and was jumping a buddies second rig with my main in it the rest of the day. The rig was in good shape with a spandex BOC and a flap for the handle to tuck under. On exit, the back of my rig and another rig contacted and knocked my handle loose. Due to the shape of the handle and its inherent drag coeficient, it was enough to pull my PC out of the pouch. It took 6.5k to do it, but it happened. I do not believe that if I had a hackey, this would not have happened. Here is video of that day, chop included. Needless to say, I started drinking after the premature....;)

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=guestpass&id=h37h5

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Not sure I follow you as to the problem with the Spandex BOC. I have to Wings, one has the cordura BOC and the other has the Spandex BOC. I have never had an issue with the spandex. You state there was a flap to tuck your handle into. Was that too loose? that could be a cause but I fail to see how the differing puch could affect or cause a premeture.

Curious [:/]
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Not sure I follow you as to the problem with the Spandex BOC. I have to Wings, one has the cordura BOC and the other has the Spandex BOC. I have never had an issue with the spandex. You state there was a flap to tuck your handle into. Was that too loose? that could be a cause but I fail to see how the differing puch could affect or cause a premeture.

Curious [:/]

There are 2 things that caused the PC to come out as I see it. Keep in mind that this isn't just speculation, it is video proof and on ground tests.

1st thing: A zero-p PC folded with the zero-p outfacing is very slippery against Spandex material. On the ground, it is very very easy to pull the PC out of the pouch due to minimal friction between the 2 surfaces.

The PC test with the cordura pouch required much more force to remove it from the pouch.

2nd thing: The mere shape and design of the FF handle that wings has developed allows it to catch alot of air when knocked loose. It will flail about violently as it catches air from all of the exposed flat surfaces. Its shape is damn near like an airfoil. The binding tape that holds it to the PC is too long, which contributes to the problem. If it was attatched directly to the PC at its apex (which causes another set of problems) the flailing would not be such an issue. Had the PC been a hackey style, I don't believe there would have been any issues.

And to address your question on the flap covering the handle, yes it was tight. Mine is VERY tight. But that part of the equasion is moot. Here is why. First off, we already know that the handle came out from between the flap and tray due to container contact with another jumper. Secondly, the rig that I had my premature in, normally holds a hackey Zero-P PC. The owner has never had a premature with this set up. Our PC's were the same size. The only difference was the handle vs. hackey.
Now this container was not a wings, so the BOC spandex pouch may be designed differently. But how different can you really make spandex pouches?

Hope this clears it up..

Thanks for the info. I have F-111 pilot chutes, personally not being a fan of ZP for that job, but thats 6 of one and half a dozen of the other kind of argument.

I can see your point with the handle but have yet (knock on wood) to have that issue even when having a 'bump' on a hard dock or similar. Will certainly keep it in mind.

Fly Safe B|
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Cool Thanks. One more question, I have always jumped BOC that were spandex, how do the cordura feel? Do they stay tight enough over time? I know you have to replace the spandex over 300 jumps or so. Didn't know if it would be worth going to the cordura.

Thanks

There is no perceptable difference at pull time between the cordura and the spandex. I REALLY prever the cordura.

I REALLY prever the cordura.

Why?

I prefer them for a couple reasons.

They dont have the wear problem that spandex does.
Very durable, (against rough, or sharp suface as a short time contact issue)
My experience with both styles, is the Cordura style has a more secure fit for the PC. At least the Wings style.
And obviously, for the reasons that I not need explain......no more prematures.;)

Edit to add: They look hella nicer that spandex to boot!

I enjoy the cordura BOC and freestyle handle more that I thought I would, too.

The PC is more secure in the pouch. The way they've designed it. the elastic around the "mouth" of the BOC pouch holds the PC in quite securely, without making it difficult at all at pull time. And as long as the main canopyfills the corners of the pack tray well, the pud stays is place well, also. I haven't had a problem with it coming out.

Easy Does It

I REALLY prever the cordura.

Why?

I am outraged by your complex, technical, nit-picky curiosity! :P:P:P:P

Because I am stupid, I have to be tough, and require tough gear. A couple years ago I broke my ankle and just splinted and wrapped it and butt-slid my landings for a couple months. The cordura took that abuse without even any visible wear! If I had the spandex, I am pretty sure I would have destroyed it.

And it matches the container. I love my gear to be all matchy-matchy.

:P