ChickenSandwich

For many women, divorce is about how much money she'll get out of him.

Breaking Up Is Harder to Do After Housing Fall

When Marci Needle and her husband began to contemplate divorce in June, they thought they had enough money to go their separate ways. They owned a million-dollar home near Atlanta and another in Jacksonville, Fla., as well as investment properties.

Now the market for both houses has crashed, and the couple are left arguing about whether the homes are worth what they owe on them, and whether there are any assets left to divide, Ms. Needle said.

“We’re really trying very hard to be amicable, but it puts a strain on us,” said Ms. Needle, the friction audible in her voice. “I want him to buy me out. It’s in everybody’s interest to settle quickly. That would be my only income. It’s been incredibly stressful.”

For John and Laurel Goerke, in Santa Barbara, Calif., the housing market crashed in the middle of what Mr. Goerke said had been an orderly legal proceeding. At the height of the market, Mr. Goerke said, they had their house appraised at $2.3 million, which would have given them about $1 million to divide after paying off the mortgage. But by the time they sold last year, the value had fallen by $600,000, cutting their equity by more than half.

“That changed everything,” said Mr. Goerke, who is now nearly two years into the divorce process, with legal and other fees of several hundred thousand dollars. “The prospect of us both being able to buy modest homes was eliminated. The money’s not there.”

Now, with both spouses living in rental properties, their lawyers still cannot agree on what their remaining assets are worth. Their wealth is ticking away at $350 an hour, times two.

“It’s got to end,” Mr. Goerke said, “because at some point there’s nothing left to argue about.”

Dee Dee Tomasko, a nursing student and mother in suburban Cleveland, expected to leave her marriage with about $200,000 in starter money, primarily from the marital home, which was appraised at about $1 million in 2006. By the time of her divorce last year, however, the house was appraised at $800,000; her share of the equity came to about $105,000.

Though she is relieved to be out of the marriage, if she had known how little money she would get “I might have stuck with it a little more; I don’t know,” Ms. Tomasko said, adding, “Maybe it would’ve made me think a little harder.”

Josh Kaufman and his wife bought a new 6,500-square-foot house outside Cleveland on five and a half acres, with four bedrooms and two three-car garages, that was worth $1.5 million at the height of the market. When they divorced in June, Mr. Kaufman knew his wife could not afford to carry the home. The longer the divorce process continued, the more the house depreciated; by the time he assumed the house, its appraised value was half what the couple had put into it; he did not pay her anything for her share.

“From a negotiating standpoint we knew that she couldn’t afford to stay in it,” Mr. Kaufman said. “It appeared as an opportunity to turn the negative situation around. There was no emotion involved. It was a business decision on what made most financial sense. It wasn’t an attempt to take advantage of someone.”

For Nancy R., who spoke on condition of anonymity because her colleagues do not know her marital status, the impediments to divorce are visible every time she opens her door.

“There’s three other houses for sale on our same road,” she said. “There’s no way our house would sell.”

For now the couple are separated, waiting for real estate prices to recover. But for Ms. R., that means remaining financially dependent on her husband. He moved out; she remains in the house.

“I still feel kept in certain ways, and I don’t want to rock the boat,” she said. “And it’s draining. So suddenly, when there’s an economic crunch, we’re paying for two places. And we’re both eating out more, because it’s no fun to eat alone.”

The same dynamics that marked their marriage now hang over their separation, she said: “He has the ultimate control.”

“We can’t sell the house,” she said, “and whatever settlement I get depends on a good relationship with him, based on his good will. The lines get blurry and confused quickly, which makes emotions fly easily” — especially if she were to start dating.

“Any icing on the cake is going to come from his good will,” she said, “and that means being the peacemaker. I’m the underdog in this situation. We’re basically forced to remain in a relationship after we’ve decided to end it.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/30/us/30divorce.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&hp

Now, with both spouses living in rental properties, their lawyers still cannot agree on what their remaining assets are worth. Their wealth is ticking away at $350 an hour, times two.

This is the funny part to me. These people are to fucking stupid to not go broke while paying fucking lawyers to fight over something that isn't even there anymore. They get what they deserve. Maybe that's a lawyers place in the world. To give stupid people the fucking they deserve.

Bitter?? The article is about the housing crunch and the fact that divorce is expensive, more so than many people realize- men and women.

Bitter? No.

Why do women feel so entitled to assets that aren't theirs?

From my post:

Dee Dee Tomasko, a nursing student and mother in suburban Cleveland, expected to leave her marriage with about $200,000 in starter money, primarily from the marital home, which was appraised at about $1 million in 2006. By the time of her divorce last year, however, the house was appraised at $800,000; her share of the equity came to about $105,000.

Though she is relieved to be out of the marriage, if she had known how little money she would get “I might have stuck with it a little more; I don’t know,” Ms. Tomasko said, adding, “Maybe it would’ve made me think a little harder.”

This is the funny part to me. These people are to fucking stupid to not go broke while paying fucking lawyers to fight over something that isn't even there anymore. They get what they deserve. Maybe that's a lawyers place in the world. To give stupid people the fucking they deserve.

Did you meet my exwife?:P:P:P
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Why do women feel so entitled to assets that aren't theirs?

From my post:

I don't see anything there that says that the assets weren't hers as well as his. "Marital" indicates joint property. No mention is made of who provided the downpayment.

I'll bet he was just as bummed out about getting half of what he expected out of the house as she is.

How do you KNOW she's not entitled to the assets? There is nothing in the article that says she did not contribute to the family home or have a right to any equity. I do think the last statement is sad- that she's relieved to be out of her marriage but might have worked harder at it if she'd realized there was so little equity. Divorce is expensive- maybe if more people understood that upfront, they would put more thought into getting married and not bailing at the first signs of trouble. :S

I don't see anything there that says that the assets weren't hers as well as his.

Marci said that the money would be her only income-unemployed, probably didn't make a lot of house payments

Dee Dee' sold man was putting her through school-she probably wasn't making half the mortgage

The Kaufman chick can't make the note-that leads me to think that she probably wasn't primary breadwinner.

Nancy is having her ex to be keep her in the house and is "financially dependent". If he's subsidizing, does he still get to go by and tap it every once and awhile?
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Marci said that the money would be her only income-unemployed, probably didn't make a lot of house payments

Nothing there says that he isn't unemployed as well. They owned multiple properties, after all. Is it not possible that BOTH of them lived off the income from their properties?

Dee Dee' sold man was putting her through school-she probably wasn't making half the mortgage

Again, how do you know that? I know plenty of people - married and single - who work to put themselves through school.

The Kaufman chick can't make the note-that leads me to think that she probably wasn't primary breadwinner.

Why does that matter? She ended up with nothing out of the house anyway, that should make you happy.

Nancy is having her ex to be keep her in the house and is "financially dependent". If he's subsidizing, does he still get to go by and tap it every once and awhile?

Many people couldn't afford the house they live in if they didn't have the addition of someone else's income to rely on. Is it so farfetched to think that he's only paying part of the payments so he doesn't screw his credit?

But you're right, of course. Every female out there is out to jack as many men as possible out of as much money as we possibly can. There are no exceptions to this rule. :S

5 chicks that can't keep a husband-I guess we know how they would have answered the spit or swallow poll

There wasn't a selection for No.Fucking.Way. :)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Dude, marriage was the best thing that ever happened to me .Even the first one gave me more than I gave. Even though it didn't work, what I learned made me a much better husband second time around and it settled me enough to live to get here. If it weren't for my first wife, I would have died before i hit 25.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Jesus on a stick...you hit THAT right on the head!
THEY are going broke...the lawyers are shopping for new Porsches. Not just :S but stupid as well.

My legal fees totaled $600.

Paying HER off was the killer part.
Housemaids with a bad attitude are expensive!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And in a related story....

Man Wants His Kidney Back In The Divorce

$1.5 million or his kidney back. That's the strange ultimatum a New York surgeon has given his estranged wife.

Dr Richard Batista donated his kidney to his wife Dawnell in 2001. His attorney claims that she began having an extramarital affair a couple of years after the transplant. She filed for divorce in 2005.

Dr. Batista decided to go public after four years of divorce negotations. He wants the donated kidney back, but will accept $1.5 million in compensation.

Mrs Batista and her attorney had no comment on the suit.

The couple has three children, ages, 8, 11 and 14.

http://www.wkrg.com/medical/article/man_wants_his_kidney_back_in_the_divorce/22427/

:D

And in a related story....

Man Wants His Kidney Back In The Divorce

$1.5 million or his kidney back. That's the strange ultimatum a New York surgeon has given his estranged wife.

Dr Richard Batista donated his kidney to his wife Dawnell in 2001. His attorney claims that she began having an extramarital affair a couple of years after the transplant. She filed for divorce in 2005.

Dr. Batista decided to go public after four years of divorce negotations. He wants the donated kidney back, but will accept $1.5 million in compensation.

Mrs Batista and her attorney had no comment on the suit.

The couple has three children, ages, 8, 11 and 14.

http://www.wkrg.com/medical/article/man_wants_his_kidney_back_in_the_divorce/22427/

:D

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Yes, yes, money is all women care about. Save your wallet and just stick to men.

Did I say ALL women?

Did I say EVERY woman?

Did I say THE MAJORITY of women?

No. I said MANY women do this. Methinks you feel guilty for using a man for your own personal gain.

And who in the fuck do you think you are tongue-in-cheek calling me a 'faggot'?

Who the fuck do you think you are?

You can fucking go to hell.