AggieDave

Gran Torino (the movie)

We call this a "Press Check". The name comes from when you bring the action back a bit and press on a shotgun shell to make sure its not an empty round you just haven't ejected yet.

That's interesting. I thought it was called that because you "press" on the front of the slide a bit to push it backwards, just enough to open the bolt a tad, so you can see inside the chamber and note whether or not there is a round inside.

My opinion is that if you don't fully trust your weapon to function perfectly every time, then you need to get a different weapon.

So you don't practice malfunction procedures?

The fact is, every gun will malfunction at some point. None of them are perfect. Ammo varies, parts wear, and so on. Sooner or later, it will happen.

And if you can do a simple double-check to ensure that you're really got a round in the chamber, when you're life is on the line, what's the harm?

My opinion is that if you don't fully trust your weapon to function perfectly every time, then you need to get a different weapon.

So you don't practice malfunction procedures?

Of course I do. Most of my range time with my Springfield is just that. Where did I say I didn't?

The fact is, every gun will malfunction at some point. None of them are perfect. Ammo varies, parts wear, and so on. Sooner or later, it will happen.

And if you can do a simple double-check to ensure that you're really got a round in the chamber, when you're life is on the line, what's the harm?

If you read my post you would not have to ask that question, but I'll answer anyway. I have had other semi-autos fail to fire after pulling the slide back. THAT is where the harm can come from. If you want to check yours, fine. I choose to have a weapon that is reliable enough I need to check.

If you want to discuss this further, maybe you should start a thread in SC.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I choose to have a weapon that is reliable enough I need to check.

I think you meant "don't need to check."

Suit yourself - it's your life.

I don't need another thread. I said my piece, made my point, and can rest with that.
You've said your piece twice now. Can you rest with that?

The wife and I saw it last nite on your recommend here Dave. We both loved it. I saw way too much of myself in Eastwoods Kowalski. Maybe thats what wars do to us.....I dont know for sure...but anyway we really loved the movie.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I saw way too much of myself in Eastwoods Kowalski.

HAHA, I was sitting there thinking to myself.."That's me when I get old". Great movie, a real change from the typical crap coming out of Hollywood these days. 2 thumbs up.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING