LisaH

Michael Vick's dogs

I read the first part of the SI article. I'd be nervous to have one of those dogs. They have been abused, and that can make them aggressive towards humans. The description of extremely cowed (sorry, LisaH:P) behavior paints a portrait of a scared, high strung animal, an animal that could attack someday if it feels threatened. I know a lot of you cheer the efforts to rescue these dogs, and rightly so. But I would still consider them too dangerous to be around young children.

There are a lot of people who feel the same way you do. But, I'm glad there are some don't and give them a chance.

I feel the same as JohnMitchell. Not that these dogs shouldn't be given a chance. But that the people who take these dogs in should understand what they are getting. I would be very careful putting any dog with a history of abuse in a home with small children.

And Pit Bulls have characteristics that can be very dangerous if not properly understood.
They can be very loving and protective. But they are terriers. A group that has been bred to tenaciously chase small things that move quickly. The dog in my profile pic is a Yorkie mix. He is absolutely vicious to chipmunks and squirrels. He'll go after your ankle if you run past him too closely. It's a breed trait to chase things. And Pit Bulls get up to 80lbs or so, which makes them potentially dangerous to kids. This is not to say that they are bad dogs, just that they have characteristics that need to be understood before you own one.

Failure to do that is what has given them such a bad rep.

I agree with Cesar Milan (the dog whisperer) that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. And I'm very glad that these dogs got a second chance and a good home.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

But I would still consider them too dangerous to be around young children.

I, too, was surprised to see the family with small children that had one of the dogs. But if you read through the whole article, it talks about the triage process they went through with each dog - putting them into different categories depending on their temperament. I can only assume that the one that ended up with that family was one of the most "rehab-able."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would not ever give up on them. If I had a lot of property, I would take them in a heart beat. I wish I could own every stray dog in the world. I love dogs. They are the best friends you could ever have.

Me too! :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Here is a heart-warming update on 10 of the dogs that were seized. :)
http://www.peoplepets.com/photos/heart-warming/michael-vick-s-dogs-where-are-they-now/1

I thought they were adopted by a very enthusiastic Chinese Restaurant owner !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I'm so glad those dogs got a second chance. Thanks for posting that Lisa. I love it when pitbulls get good pr.

They are such wonderful dogs and it is sad that some have to endure such horrific abuse. It's really too bad that after that they get such a bad rap in society and the media. They do need a responsible owner because some (not all) can have a tendency to be dog aggressive but, what most people don't know is that they are one of the few breeds to be bred specifically to be NONhuman aggressive. (If you were trying to pull two dogs in a fight apart the last thing you would want is for a dog to come after you. If they did they were killed or not bread. )

They where even called nanny dogs because they were so good with kids and could take all the ear/tail pulling, climbing on, rough housing the kids could give out and still be very gentle. The farmers would leave them home to baby sit their kids.

We get in a huge amount of pitbulls in the shelter I volunteer at and most pass our temperament test with flying colors and are very adoptable. If fact we get more bite reports from golden retrievers, cocker spaniels and labs then pitbulls.

Some huge problems pitbulls face are the media. When a lab/golden/dalmatian.... bites someone
it's not really news worthy but when a pitbull does it's on every chanel. Another thing is that when people see a stocky well toned dog bite someone they report is as a pitbull when it really is not. I even adopted a dog I was told and thought was a mostly pit mix only to find out he has no pit in him at all.

I'm not saying all pit's are perfect family pets with no problems at all. Like most breeds some are and some are not. Pitbulls do need a special owner that is committed to getting them trained, doing research before acquiring one and help improve their image by always making them a pillar in the dogie community.

Here are some interesting web sites.

Can you find the pitbull?

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Understanding pitbulls
http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html
Fly like a girl

There are a lot of people who feel the same way you do. But, I'm glad there are some don't and give them a chance.

I believe Michael Vicks signed a new contract , he is the spokesman for Hush Puppies...
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I read the first part of the SI article. I'd be nervous to have one of those dogs. They have been abused, and that can make them aggressive towards humans. The description of extremely cowed (sorry, LisaH:P) behavior paints a portrait of a scared, high strung animal, an animal that could attack someday if it feels threatened. I know a lot of you cheer the efforts to rescue these dogs, and rightly so. But I would still consider them too dangerous to be around young children.

I agree, these dogs in my opinion are damaged goods and probably what Cesar Milan would call "red zone" dogs. I've seen one of his episodes trying to rehabilitate a "red zone" pit and that was previously abused and even he admitted that he may not be 100% succesful. The dog spent over a month in his pack w/o problems but as soon as the owners showed up she attacked two of his pits, one of them was the ever calm Daddy.
While it is true that well balanced pits make wonderful pets, I wouldn't advise anybody with small kids or other pets to bring an ex-fighting pit into his home, unless, of course, your name is Cesar Milan.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

My sister adopted a pit bull that had been used for "bait" for the bigger, stronger, pit bulls to practice on. He's missing one eye and all scarred up, and when she first got him he was terrified of everyone and everything. I didn't trust him at all! Everyone thought she wouldn't be able to do anything with him, but within six months, and a lot of love and patience, he truly became a different dog. She gave him a new life full of kindness and he has thrived. He's not aggressive toward humans, BUT he will attack another dog if it comes after him. I too would hesitate to have him around any small children though, just in case. Once they bite into something they don't let go and they are extremely strong.
Learn from the past - don't live in it!

We get in a huge amount of pitbulls in the shelter I volunteer at and most pass our temperament test with flying colors and are very adoptable. If fact we get more bite reports from golden retrievers, cocker spaniels and labs then pitbulls.

So that's why I had to shoot one Thanksgiving morning to keep it from making an AggieDave chew toy?

Yeah, real loving breed.[:/]

Outside in the real world, they're exceptionally mean dogs. Like the one that a dealer let loose on a chick that owed him money for crack? She loves the breed too. We had to keep that one for the case, so I ended up using a taser to get it under control so that the ACO wouldn't become a chew toy.

Understand that those are only two specific instances that I'm referencing. I could continue with specific examples for probably well over an hour.

Yeah, real loving breed.>:(
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So that's why I had to shoot one Thanksgiving morning to keep it from making an AggieDave chew toy?

Yeah, real loving breed.[:/]

Outside in the real world, they're exceptionally mean dogs. Like the one that a dealer let loose on a chick that owed him money for crack? She loves the breed too. We had to keep that one for the case, so I ended up using a taser to get it under control so that the ACO wouldn't become a chew toy.

Yeah, real loving breed.>:(

Perhaps it was the DEALER that was the problem and not the dog. [:/][:/]

ANY dog can bite and attack.
'Shell