RALFFERS

My pipes are frozen

I was wondering which pipes you meant....

Ralf, I'm from Florida. Even I know to leave a trickle going!!
:D

I hope you don't have any split pipes!

We left the water running - but my mom only let the cold water run, not the warm. [:/]
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Hot water pipes run under the house too then?
Time to put on your snow suit, grab the torch from the garage, and crawl under the house to thaw them out!
I assume you have metal of some sort....

God do I miss doing that for my Grandmother in Illinois!!!
:P

Just watch out for when they thaw out. In college my roomate turned the tap all the way to full when the pipes were frozen. Came home next afternoon and the pipes had unfrozen, but the water from the wide open taps had flooded the kitchen. I guess something in the sink impeeded the water draining. Anyway, glad he owned the place and not me......
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Depending on the type of construction of your house, crawl space vs. slab, and the location of the frozen pipe(s), wall vs. crawl space, it could be a very easy repair. When copper pipes freeze, the ice expansion will sometimes split the pipe. You can cut, splice, and solder on a patch using a propane torch. I've even used solderless repair kits that clamp a gasketed patch onto the ruptured area.

Good luck, and make sure you're around when the pipes thaw. That's, of course, when you'll find any breaks. If no one's home, it can get really expensive.:S:D

Nope. The piping is in the basement, hooked up straight to the heater. I have a huge space heater down there right now (yes, I'm keeping an eye on it so the house doesn't burn down) Hope that thaws them out.

Time to put on your snow suit, grab the torch from the garage, and crawl under the house to thaw them out!
I assume you have metal of some sort....

:P

Make sure you partially open some taps before you heat the pipes. As the heat expands the ice/water you have to give it somewhere to go. Otherwise you can burst the pipe.

It was -12F here in SW Michigan when I checked the thermometer on my back deck at 7:15 this morning.
:o

Nope. The piping is in the basement, hooked up straight to the heater. I have a huge space heater down there right now (yes, I'm keeping an eye on it so the house doesn't burn down) Hope that thaws them out.

Go to home depot, buy the heat tape, plug it in to your electric, wrap it around the pipes, and they will both un-freeze and never freeze up again. My pipes are in the garage, froze earlier this winter, that's what we did and no problems since. Shouldn't cost you much of anything.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Go to home depot, buy the heat tape, plug it in to your electric, wrap it around the pipes, and they will both un-freeze and never freeze up again. My pipes are in the garage, froze earlier this winter, that's what we did and no problems since. Shouldn't cost you much of anything.

Thanks! I'll get right on it!

When I read the subject line, I thought you were writing about something a little more naughty, not real pipes in your house. :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

And people in IL didn't believe me 12 years ago when I told them I was moving from IL to CO for the warmth!:P

It's heading for 57F today; Looks like a good day for some cycling.B|

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

DAMN!
It got THAT effing cold in your basement?????

Yes. During the day it's around -12, but during the night it can be anywhere from -15 to over -20.

When I read the subject line, I thought you were writing about something a little more naughty, not real pipes in your house. :ph34r:

I was wondering which pipes you meant....

You and Mark seem to think alike than. :ph34r::D

What? You mean like 19 beer bottles and a pair of panties? :S Who knows? ;)

Yeah, if the pipes are ruptured and you're not there when they thaw out, you might be swimming around in your basement. Then you get to replace all your flooring. Godd times.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Yeah, it's down to 60 here in H-town...we're freakin' FREEZING! :ph34r:

Bless you my dear son.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. This 60 degree cold you are suffering is merely a test he has placed before you.

However, if you have Faith, then you will endure. For it is in Faith that you will find warmth and comfort.

Reverend Jack
:);)

Yeah, it's down to 60 here in H-town...we're freakin' FREEZING! :ph34r:

Bless you my dear son.

The Lord works in mysterious ways. This 60 degree cold you are suffering is merely a test he has placed before you.

However, if you have Faith, then you will endure and find comfort.

Reverend Jack
:);)

For us catholics, that's the thermostat setting in Purgatory !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

My mistake... Only a small portion of the pipes are exposed & in the basement; most are inside the walls.

The space heater isn't doing much good to warm the small segment of piping that is exposed (I thought this would be the case, but my mom thought it was worth a try).

What has me confused the most is the fact that the basement has no warm water, our kitchen up here doesn't; but the bathroom does. The upstairs above us, asll the sinks are able to run warm water. I'm confused as to why some of the sinks are working, but some only have cold water. :S

My mistake... Only a small portion of the pipes are exposed & in the basement; most are inside the walls.

The space heater isn't doing much good to warm the small segment of piping that is exposed (I thought this would be the case, but my mom thought it was worth a try).

What has me confused the most is the fact that the basement has no warm water, our kitchen up here doesn't; but the bathroom does. The upstairs above us, asll the sinks are able to run warm water. I'm confused as to why some of the sinks are working, but some only have cold water. :S

Because the pipes are only frozen in a couple spots. Tracing the pipes is the only way to know what feeds where, and that will tell you where the blockages (frozen spots) are. The pipe wrap will thaw for a good distance from where it is put on the pipes, but be careful for possible splits.

The frozen spots are most likely close to outside walls. Is the kitchen sink close to an outside wall?
The upstairs and the bathroom feeds probably run up an interior wall.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo