huka551

What to do with a scammer?

Here is a good example of spam emails setting you up for fraud. Whats going to happen is that a check will be mailed to your address.

A large international RED FLAGcompany is expanding and need new employees!

Now we are searching for independent agents, who will represent our company in
different regions. Job consists of receiving and processing payment orders from
our customers.

This is a part-time job and youwork only 2-3RED FLAG hours a day. Full-time job can
be offered after a trial period.

We pay more than other online organizations! Minimum salary is 2300 USD a month, RED FLAG
but after the Trial Period your salary will be increased up to 3000 USD/month.

If you would like to learn more, please email us at [email protected] MAJOR RED FLAG
Our human resource managers will contact you within 2 days.

BIGGEST RED FLAG EVER
========FORM*********FORM==========
Full name: ____________________
Contact phone: __________________
Call time: ______________________
========FORM*********FORM==========

I look forward to hear from you soon!

We found your resume at www.careerbuilder.com. This letter confirms that your
resume has been duly processed and your skills completely meet our requirements
for Financial Manager vacancy. RED FLAG

Yours faithfully,
John Greenman
New York, NY 10017, USA RED FLAG
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Post: I'm wondering if its a stolen check or what, the address on the check was in Huston, but the envelope the check came in was from Virginia

Are you sure its a scam
the address on my checks is in MS at my parents house. I havent lived there in8 years but its the only steady address I have and I like the bank
I have live in 2 other states since then
just saying

same thing (kinda) just happenned to me, so im glad this thread is here. i talked with this guy who wanted an old canopy im just trying to get rid of. agreed on a price, and he sends me over 15 times what i was asking in USPS money orders. they looked legit, but i brought them to the bank and turns out they're fake. So the bank confiscates them and is apparently looking into it further. you know how that goes. I think he's been reported by now, but his username was kelvin dorris, which was also on the back of the envelope. the wierd thing is that on the money orders was the name Lisa Barney from georia, so look out for her as well.
I'd wait for you outside the courtoom.
Taunting; when all of your appeals were declined.

same thing (kinda) just happenned to me, so im glad this thread is here. i talked with this guy who wanted an old canopy im just trying to get rid of. agreed on a price, and he sends me over 15 times what i was asking in USPS money orders. they looked legit, but i brought them to the bank and turns out they're fake. So the bank confiscates them and is apparently looking into it further. you know how that goes. I think he's been reported by now, but his username was kelvin dorris, which was also on the back of the envelope. the wierd thing is that on the money orders was the name Lisa Barney from georia, so look out for her as well.

The best possible thing you, as an Internet-Classifieds user can do is stay educated about how to spot scams, so you don't fall for them. The "kelvin dorris" scam was a classic BS ad response that reads almost exactly like every other BS ad response in the Security & Scams Forum. By not knowing that, you almost got nailed in a big, big way.

Here's how the typical Classified buyer scam works (from lets-ride.com). Sound familiar?

***Fake Shipping Agent or Money Order Scam
If you are selling an item (especially a motorcycle, automobile, or other high dollar item) you will get e-mail attempting this scam. The scammer will attempt to purchase your bike with a money order. They will want you to take a money order for an amount larger than the purchase price for the bike. This scam works well because you are always thinking "how is he going to get the bike without paying for it", but the scammer isn't even after the bike! He is after your money! This scam is designed to get you to cash a counterfeit money order or cashiers check..

This is a typical scenario of how the scam works:

You have a bike for sale. You are asking $12000.

The scammer e-mails you with an offer to buy the bike. He may ask for photos of ask about the condition of the bike. He offer you a $11000. (A little fake haggling to make it sound good)

You reply with the information he requested and agree to sell for $11000.

He says he will purchase the bike. He asks if a money order is ok.

You agree to accept the money order.

He will give you some excuse for having wanting to send a money order for a larger amount. The most common excuse is that he has a friend who lives in the USA and owes him $15000. And because he can't easily cash the money order in his country he would like you to cash it and send the remainder to him or his "shipping agent" via Western Union.

This sounds good to you. You are thinking, "get a money order, cash it, and send the remainder. Wow, he must trust you with the a lot of money". You agree to his offer.

He wants your phone number and address. He wants to call you to verify the information.

You provide a phone number and address.

He calls you using a system designed for those who are deaf. You speak only to the operator and she relays the info. (They almost always use this type of service). On the call you can verify the address and terms etc.

The deal is all but done. You wait for a money order. It arrives FedEx overnight.

You also receive an e-mail reminder to get to the bank and cash it. The e-mail also gives you the address of Western Union locations near you.

You deposit $11000 from the money order in your account. You get $4000 to send to the shipper. You go to Western Union and send the money. You send $3995 and give Western Union $5.00 in fees. You e-mail the code to the "shipper".

With everything complete you wait for the shipping agent to come by and pick up the bike. A week will pass, maybe two weeks.

Soon you get a letter from your bank. They have charged your account $15000 plus $20 service fee because the money order was returned to them unpaid and marked counterfeit. You check with Western Union. The money was picked up and their is no way to recover it.

The final tally: The bank
Western Union
The Scammer
You + $20.00
+ $5.00
+ $3995.00
- $4020.00

Just out of curiosity... I posted the kelvin dorris warning in Security & Scams on December 9. When did you take his fake money orders to the bank?