moth

my wingloading

i fly very conservatly and i have stood up every landing since jump #5

It's a higher wingloading than most would recommend at 70 jumps, but not necessarily outrageous. I was jumping a Sabre 135 at 1.25 W/L at 80 jumps, and bought one at 110 jumps. It was perfect for me. DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying this is the right canopy for you, just that it's not necessarily out of the question.

Personal opinion you should ask yourself these questions:

1) Can you stand it up every time? (you say you've stood up every landing since jump 5, but not what canopy said landings were on...)

2) Can you put the canopy where you want it every time? (VERY important)

3) Do you feel confident and comfortable on every landing, even if it's cross-wind or slightly downwind?

4) What do those around you have to say about your skill?

If the answer to any of the first three is "no," then the answer to your question should be self-evident. Otherwise I'd say talk to some people who know your ability and make an informed decision.

Good luck!
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

It's a higher wingloading than most would recommend at 70 jumps, but not necessarily outrageous. I was jumping a Sabre 135 at 1.25 W/L at 80 jumps, and bought one at 110 jumps. It was perfect for me. DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying this is the right canopy for you, just that it's not necessarily out of the question.

Personal opinion you should ask yourself these questions:

1) Can you stand it up every time? (you say you've stood up every landing since jump 5, but not what canopy said landings were on...)

2) Can you put the canopy where you want it every time? (VERY important)

3) Do you feel confident and comfortable on every landing, even if it's cross-wind or slightly downwind?

4) What do those around you have to say about your skill?

5) Do you think you can land it in a tight area after a bad spot while trying to avoid the lawn chairs? In other words, you should pick your canopy for the worst scenario not the best.

If the answer to any of the first three is "no," then the answer to your question should be self-evident. Otherwise I'd say talk to some people who know your ability and make an informed decision.

Good luck!

I added one more question, #5.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The issue is that one day, someone will cut you off and you will have to fly aggressively to avoid a collision. Can you fly agressively with it? By that, I mean can you do a quick flat turn? Do you know how fast it will turn if you do a knee-jerk reaction toggle turn to avoid it?
Remster

to answer some of your questions i have 10 jumps on this canopy 2 of which were in nil winds all landed in PLA all standing up the previos canopy i was jumping was a very old 210 f111 and the landings on that were a lot harder than on the sabre. also i have got ch1 and ch2 (UK) although ive received no formal canopy training. thanks for any input.

I added one more question, #5

Yeah OK, a valid question, though I would call that an extreme case of #2 and probably #3 combined.

However... as pointed out by others after me, another good question would be "how comfortable are you with it in traffic?" It is quite accurate that eventually someone or something will force you to make some aggressive moves, and you need to be ready for it. Hell, I got cut off by a velocity 84 right as I initiated a 270 just last weekend.

At 70 jumps and 10 on a canopy 40 sq ft smaller than the one before, NOBODY is going to be ready if someone cuts them off at 50 feet... so for awhile it would be wise to do become accustomed to some aggressive moves up high so you know how the canopy will react, as well as to stay away from traffic (open higher, land away from others, or hold in brakes until the hot-shots land) until you've gained some skills under the new airfoil.

I also cannot overstate how much it helps to have a plan in your mind about how to react to that sort of thing... drilling into your head that low, emergency turns must be flat-turns, and then practicing them up high (and later low, but without the emergency) so you've got some muscle-memory is as important as the cutaway/pull reserve drills you did as a student.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

Whenever I considered this, and considered smaller canopies, I always told people that "I'm conservative, fly the canopy like I drive my car on ice, NEVER turn low", and I got the same response everytime - "that's what everyone says...there are only 4 types of sydivers - those that have had a mal and those that are going to, and those that have turned to low and those that are going to". Just be sure that when you do turn too low or do something above your ability that your canopy will forgive you.

I'm the last person that shouldbe saying this because I'm jumping a higher wingload than I should be (CCI is cool, checked me out, and so on). Just be careful. Also, its not just you that's at risk if you make a mistake.

good point darren but i have turned too low on jump #13 but i was on a nav 260 then and i only bruised my ass (it hurt like hell though) but lesson learned that day. but waether i have 70, 200 or 3000 jumps behind me if i turn too low or hit an obstacle then i will get hurt.