Andy9o8

Billy Powell of Lynyrd Skynyrd dies

An old girlfriend, way back in 74 or 75, her father worked for Ron Powell Productions in St.Louis. He gave me some promotion photos of Lynyrd Skynyrd when they played at the old Kiel concet hall. This is the photo of the whole band from the set he gave me. Powell is in the center.
R.I.P. Billy Powell
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Back in my college daze, I couldn't get enough of Southern rock - Allmans, Skynyrd, Outlaws, ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet. Learning guitar, I tried to cover as many Duane Allman, Huey Thomasson and Gary Rossington lead riffs as I could screech out. Not what you'd expect from a sheltered suburban white kid from Upstate New York, but hey. That is to say, hey, y'all.

I wanted to be Billy Powell when I grew up.

I still remember driving to a college class one morning and hearing the news about the plane crash......another sad day.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

cool pic man!
Seems like I have seen that pic before, I'll have to dig through my past memorabilia and jackets!

Anyway, my best buddy (who introd me to my first JM), man we were just talking about LS last night and Billy was in the forefront of the conversation because the subject of who was remaining of the band... So when I heard the news about 1230 today cruzin down the hwy, I just about had a cow! I just could not believe my ears. Pro Nounced was my first Skynard album and was hooked ever since. My LS music collection consists of two of each of ANYTHING that they ever put out!! I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to (hopefully) hearing some of this stuff supposedly gettin ready to come out that has been on the shelves... Lot of legal shit Im sure, but none the less I cant wait!

Ronnie is one BROTHER that left us way way to soon!
I can remember cruzin my B| 71'Chevelle usein the top of the dash, immulating Billy on a bunch of lics, but the one that stands out the most was "I know a little"....

Cant wait to meet uP with you dudes B| uP in Heaven and throw some back and pass it around... It would have been GREAT to hang with ya back in the day! I'll be sure to sneek some uP!! :)

Rest In Peace, BP! forever BLUES Bro...

The rest of the photos from the set.
I was a major Skynard fan. Never missed a show when they came to St.Louis.
Went as far as getting Free Bird tattood on my arm and the phoenix from the Rossington Collins album Anytime. Anyplace, Anywhere tattood on my chest in 1980.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

This really breaks my heart too from someone who saw the original band play in Birmingham, Al in 1973. Billy could play anything on keyboards from sweet soulful music to get down honky tonk. He truly will be missed. I really enjoyed how he played and my condolences go out to his friends and family.

Chris

Fly on Free Bird.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/18584568/detail.html#-

Damn - another one. Breaks my heart.
I think the last one was when Hughie Thomasson (aka front man for the Outlaws), who played co-lead axe with Skynyrd for several years, died a couple years ago.

RIP, Billy. The music lives on.

Never thought I'd say this...

I agree with you 100%
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.