lawrocket

Skydiving Glossary

I've been here awhile. I started off as a newbie to learn everything I could. I must say, I'm was a bit concerned back when beca_se I didn't know what so many terms meant. I think it's time to define them.

Let's define everything. Cross reference them. What is a toggle fire? What's another word for it? "Fuck the Rodriguez Brothers?". What does that mean.

Let us put it all out there for the newbies and for posterity. Let us create a reference so that anyone who wants to know what a horny gorilla is can have a one-stop shop of the lexicon,

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Are we talking "proper term" or slang" Alot of terms we use are not included in the glossary.
Is this what we are tryin to do??
Just so I understand this
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Hotel Check-Pre exit check During a AFF jump you have 2 JM's holding onto you and the aircraft.
To let them know you're ready,you look left into the JM'S eyes and shout "CHECK IN",the JM will let ya know that he is ready for exit"OK" Then look to your right and shout "CHECK OUT",the JM will let you know he's ready by "OK"
Now you job is to do a good exit and arch!
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

William (Bill) Fitzsimons published "Skydiving: A Dictionary for the Sport Parachutist" back in the '90's:

http://www.amazon.com/Skydiving-Dictionary-Parachutist-William-Fitzsimons/dp/187817701X

It could probably use a refresh by now. An example from the book:

glide ratio: The mathematical relationship between the vertical descent
of a gliding device and its forward motion. For example, a canopy that
descends ten feet for every one foot of forward motion is said by the
manufacturer to have a glide ratio of three to one.

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What is a toggle fire? What's another word for it?

I hate that phrase. Is there so much friction during freefall and opening that the toggles self-ignite into flames? Can't they make them out of some flame-proof material like kevlar? How do you steer the canopy since you don't want to put your hands into something that's ablaze?

Or maybe we could just abandon that term, and call it what it is: premature brake release. If people want to be cool, they can call it "PBR".

Or maybe we could just abandon that term, and call it what it is: premature brake release. If people want to be cool, they can call it "PBR".

That won't work, the newbies would think it is ok to drink under canopy.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I had a toggle fire, sounds wayy fucking cooler than premature brake release.

You're just obsessed with the shame of premature release.

On that note, having a Mae West (boobies!) sounded way cooler than "lineover" (yawn). Not all change is good.