SpeedRacer

If I go away for 7 months, what should I do about my cats?

I am considering doing a thru-hike of the Appalachian trail next year. But I have two cats. Hiring someone to come in every dayfor 6 or 7 months & feed them & change the litter box would cost something like $2,000. And they'd be all by themselves every day.:(

Does anyone know about other options? Like temporary adoption networks, or something?

I still haven't decided if I'm going to go through with this hike, but right now I'm just weighing the options.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Are you still going to have a residence to come home to? I was just at a friend's house yesterday who is renting from someone and also taking care of their dog. So, maybe a cat friendly house sitter?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That's an option... if Speedracer has anybody he can trust to house-sit his place and pay him rent, discounted of course... why not.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

very interesting. there are two colleges in my town (Frederick, Maryland). Maybe I could cut some kind of deal with a starving grad student. ie., they could live in my house for free, in exchange for the small effort of maintaining it & taking care of my cats & mailing me the occasional drop-shipments of supplies necessary for me to hike the AT.

I used to be a very financially -poor grad student. I probably would have agreed to those terms.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Get their furry little asses a Skype account. ;)

I would die of I couldn't keep in touch with my furry girl!!! :D

exercising great self control, must push away from computer, resistance is fading
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Ask around with your co-workers to see if they know anyone who might want to house and pet sit for you. If it's done through someone you know, there's more accountability for the person to respect your things and treat the pet well.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If you can't find someone to sit both your house and your cats, but you can find someone who's willing to look after your cats at their home for the duration, it's worth looking into.

7 months is a pretty long time - cats don't like being re-homed but they should adjust pretty quickly, and if they're indoor-only then there shouldn't be any risk of them going missing or getting into fights in a strange neighbourhood.

Much better that than being alone long term with only the occasional visitor, or being kept in 'kennels' or the equivalent.