shropshire

Sporty not holding charge ....

I took her out of the garage yesterday but wouldn't start, so I zapped her with the jump leads ... O.K and went for a long drive.... As soon as I stopped (back at home!!), the engine wouldn't start again - the solenoid barely clicked:(

I left the battery on charge all last night - no joy..

So, should I get a pukka HD (65989-97A) replacement or one from elsewhere?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

One of the problems with small batteries is that you have to trickle charge them. If you use a bigger charger or try to jump them then you risk rupturing a cell. And ruining the battery. (yes, I learned this the hard way).

You might also want to check the alternator/charging system. You should have 14 volts when it's running. You should check the cables too. I've had a bad connection act like a dead battery. It was still connected, but the cable was barely there (frayed to 2 or 3 strands) so even though the "dash" lights came on, I couldn't get enough current through to spin the starter.

If you do need a new battery, I don't think you have to have a genuine H-D battery. Just one the right size/capacity. You will probably pay more for one from the Harley shop. Just make sure whatever you get is of decent quality.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Get a new battery. I'm guessing yours is at least a year old if not older?

Cheers.. It's as old as the bike (4 years) but are there better ones that a direct HD replacement?

(.)Y(.)

When I had a Harley I got my batteries from Wal-mart, and they worked just fine.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's whats more commonly known as as a Harley Canhardly.

Rolls down hills an can hardly get back up them.

He he He he He he He he He he He he He he He he

Servers ya right, next time buy British :D:D:D:D

Gone fishing

I took her out of the garage yesterday but wouldn't start, so I zapped her with the jump leads ... O.K and went for a long drive.... As soon as I stopped (back at home!!), the engine wouldn't start again - the solenoid barely clicked:(

I left the battery on charge all last night - no joy..

So, should I get a pukka HD (65989-97A) replacement or one from elsewhere?

Before you replace the battery, check your regulator output. Start it up, put a multimeter across the battery terminals. You should read around 12v. Then rev it and hold it at about 3000 revs. You should read around 14v. If this is OK, you need a new battery. If it doesn't read this, you need to check for continuity in the charging system and maybe replace your regulator if that checks out.

It's a pain in the arse to pay $100 fora battery to find it hasn't cured the problem.

Ta. I will use my multimeter tomorrow but I think that the Charging circuit is O.K because the battery did take 'some charge during my ride out - just not enough to turn the engine over (before the jump start, the head lamp was dim, then afterwards it was brighter (also, during the ride, the tacho was twitching and the Odometer numbers were flashing..... afterwards, they stabalised).

(.)Y(.)

(also, during the ride, the tacho was twitching and the Odometer numbers were flashing..... afterwards, they stabalised).

That sounds like an electrical fault to me, especially the tach twitching. Mine (not a Harley) did the twitchy thing when the battery cable came loose. On mine, if the battery is disconnected, the open circuit shuts everything down. Keep in mind the vibration on a Harley has a tendency to loosen things up.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

HD? Worlds' most expensive vibrator, next time buy a palm sander.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Hi All ... it was the battery. And boy are they expensive ... found a cheap(er) one from Jersey (Channel Islands not - NY) but still £75 - ouch.

Just waiting for the rain to stop before going for a blast.

Cheers.

(.)Y(.)