Mike111

Alti 3 vs Neptune?

I've been told it's a good idea to stick with a mechanical altimeter before going to a digital altimeter which could potentially fail in freefall.

I'd actually argue the reverse. I know of more than one person who has had a mechanical altimeter read either high or low or even stick while in freefall. If that happens, then the jumper needs to have the clarity of mind to look for other indicators of altitude.

While it is possible for a digital altimeter to read a couple of thousand feet off, I would have thought it were less likely. More likely, would be that you just didn't see anything on the screen and if that happens then just pull and start spiraling it to the ground. Who cares if you have a long canopy ride, so long as you are safe.

I use a neptune as my visual alti, and I find it a lot easier to read than an analogue alti. I particularly like that I know instantly that I'm at 3.3k (or whatever), rather than somewhere between 3 + 4k.

Keep and eye on L&B's products too - they've got a good new range coming out to compete with the neptune, including a digital altimeter with an analogue face!

I use a neptune as my visual alti, and I find it a lot easier to read than an analogue alti. I particularly like that I know instantly that I'm at 3.3k (or whatever), rather than somewhere between 3 + 4k.

You can't do that by looking at the screen? Without even focusing, you should be able to. Looking at it, you can track the sweeping needle and project. I couldn't do that when I was using the Neptune and I often pulled 300ft early.

Reliability is the funny one, though talked about before. But you shouldn't presume that a malfuction will be an all or nothing deal on the digital.

Like I said there are lots of jumpers that think they know everyhting about everything. I go find my own info from the MFR's websites or I call them. I don't take advice from the average jumpers. I rig, so I get my advice from other riggers namely masters, and manufactuerers. no offense but not reps because they are pushing the product they represent (in general). Instructors are experts at the rating they have, not really gear, unless they rig too. gernerally speaking.

Check out the information on Alti-2's web site regarding their Field Support Reps.

http://www.alti-2.com/Altimaster_support.htm

"Altimaster Field Support participants are discouraged from selling Altimaster products, this program is intended to support our existing dealers."

I will admit to being a fan of their products. I have a Neptune in my helmet, a Galaxy on my wrist and my original 28 year old Altimaster II on my chest strap.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

It sounds to me like you had an Altimaster III, not a Galaxy. The dial face on an Altimaster III was in fact rather small. For purposes of reference, I find the display on the Neptune VERY easy to read.

I will advise you from a little different angle. I would encourage you at this point in your skydiving career to spend all of your money on jumps and instruction/coaching. Spend money on only very inexpensive personal type items early on so you can build skills and numbers.

If you really want your own Altimeter, buy a used one from the dropzone.com classifieds or eBay for now. Later on you can upgrade to the more expensive and neato-cool Neptune if you like.

Buying used, the larger Altimaster II may be the least expensive you will find. You can wrist mount that one, but it's a bit too big for your hand.

I wish you the best for your training! B|
Arrive Safely

John

Check out the information on Alti-2's web site regarding their Field Support Reps.

"Altimaster Field Support participants are discouraged from selling Altimaster products, this program is intended to support our existing dealers."

I will admit to being a fan of their products. I have a Neptune in my helmet, a Galaxy on my wrist and my original 28 year old Altimaster II on my chest strap.

Once again, an assupmtion has been made. I said reps. I didn't say alti's reps or any particular manufacturer's reps. ...and not all reps are discuraged from trying to make a sale.
As a matter of fact the whole idea is to push the product so that the person who is buying will go to the dealer and get one, and not the competitions. What ever the product is. I know because I represent a manufacturer.

I also know of an instance that when someone asked about two different products in a forum, they got a bunch of private messages saying that they could help questions and such and in the forum a little bit too.

Not that I care to have these debates, but have I proved my point well enough yet?
I think the dead horse is out of feeling now.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Once again, an assupmtion has been made. I said reps. I didn't say alti's reps or any particular manufacturer's reps. ...and not all reps are discuraged from trying to make a sale.
As a matter of fact the whole idea is to push the product so that the person who is buying will go to the dealer and get one, and not the competitions. What ever the product is. I know because I represent a manufacturer.

I also know of an instance that when someone asked about two different products in a forum, they got a bunch of private messages saying that they could help questions and such and in the forum a little bit too.

Not that I care to have these debates, but have I proved my point well enough yet?
I think the dead horse is out of feeling now.

Wow, I didn't know there was a point to prove or that I had made any assumptions. I was just helping to provide information on the forums, just like you were trying to do with your original post.

Of course there is one difference, the information I provided was correct.:)
edit to add: isn't the internet funB| discussions start sounding like arguments - reminds me of a saying - now how does that go again?:)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Hey,

Oops, youre right i did have the alti 3, looking at it now in the picture.

Thanks for the encouragement on the training and ill check out the used ones, althought he FX50 or something which MarkM suggested looks really neat and large to read.

Ill see into that one to.

Thanks again, (saving money is always a good thing!;))

Mike