jcd11235

How does one list black market employment/entrepreneurship on a resumé?

Hypothetically, let's say someone, who we'll call Fred, spent 10-15 years with a primary job involved doing something less than legal, though not necessarily less than ethical or less than moral. For example, let's say that Fred started out smuggling Cuban cigars into the US, and eventually worked his way into owning and managing a 6 plane smuggling operation.

Let's say Fred originally got into the smuggling business because he was tired of spending money on overpriced, counterfeit Cohibas. He found that by taking a job on the black market, he could provide local consumers with genuine (higher quality) Cohibas and Montecristos for about 30% less than they had been paying for fakes, all while making a respectable profit and not getting busted.

During his time working in the black market, Fred picked up all sorts of valuable skills and capabilities that are also valued and useful in the legal job market, such as bookkeeping and basic accounting, computer networking, supervisory and management skills, logistical management, etc.

If Fred decides to give up the black market and work a legal job, how can he list on his resumé the skills and qualifications that he acquired while working his illegal occupation? Fred doesn't want to advertise the fact that he ran an illegal smuggling operation, but he also wants to be able to claim the qualifications that he has acquired through over a decade of hard work. Let's assume Fred does not want to lie on his resumé, even if he can't volunteer the complete truth.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

he could provide local consumers with genuine (higher quality) Cohibas and Montecristos for about 30% less than they had been paying for fakes, all while making a respectable profit and not getting busted.

Can you have Fred PM me?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

he could provide local consumers with genuine (higher quality) Cohibas and Montecristos for about 30% less than they had been paying for fakes, all while making a respectable profit and not getting busted.

Can you have Fred PM me?

That would depend, I suppose. Fred really is a hypothetical wholly fictitious character. While I do know of a few people with similar problems (w/r/t listing skills on a resumé without drawing attention to a specific job), to the best of my knowledge, none of them know much about cigars or smuggling. :D

If you have insight to share, it would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure a PM would be possible. If you're looking for genuine Cuban Cohibas, "Fred" isn't likely to be of much help.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Can you have Fred PM me?

That would depend, I suppose. Fred really is a hypothetical wholly fictitious character. While I do know of a few people with similar problems (w/r/t listing skills on a resumé without drawing attention to a specific job), to the best of my knowledge, none of them know much about cigars or smuggling. :D

If you have insight to share, it would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure a PM would be possible. If you're looking for genuine Cuban Cohibas, "Fred" isn't likely to be of much help.

If Fred is running 6 planes, tell hime to sell three, invest it - and then sell the other three and live frugally.

And then he can get a job skydiving and RAKE in the bucks.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

If fred was smart, he was leasing the planes and can't sell them. Since fred doesn't exist, is it safe to ask how he was declaring income-that might be a safe route to integrate job skills in to a resume. If fred didn't even bother to launder his income, the IRS will nail him eventually and it won't matter.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

If fred was smart, he was leasing the planes and can't sell them. Since fred doesn't exist, is it safe to ask how he was declaring income-that might be a safe route to integrate job skills in to a resume. If fred didn't even bother to launder his income, the IRS will nail him eventually and it won't matter.

Oh, Hi Fred, hows business.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's simple, call it what it was, a cigar importing business. Cigars are big business, and most of them are produced out of the US, so somebody needs to import them. I'm sure there a quite a few legitimate cigar importers who don't deal in Cuban products, just pretend you were one of them.

It's not far from the truth, and nobody is ever going to ask for a cargo manifest from one of your shipments.

Hypothetically, let's say someone, who we'll call Fred, spent 10-15 years with a primary job involved doing something less than legal, though not necessarily less than ethical or less than moral. For example, let's say that Fred started out smuggling Cuban cigars into the US, and eventually worked his way into owning and managing a 6 plane smuggling operation.

Let's say Fred originally got into the smuggling business because he was tired of spending money on overpriced, counterfeit Cohibas. He found that by taking a job on the black market, he could provide local consumers with genuine (higher quality) Cohibas and Montecristos for about 30% less than they had been paying for fakes, all while making a respectable profit and not getting busted.

During his time working in the black market, Fred picked up all sorts of valuable skills and capabilities that are also valued and useful in the legal job market, such as bookkeeping and basic accounting, computer networking, supervisory and management skills, logistical management, etc.

If Fred decides to give up the black market and work a legal job, how can he list on his resumé the skills and qualifications that he acquired while working his illegal occupation? Fred doesn't want to advertise the fact that he ran an illegal smuggling operation, but he also wants to be able to claim the qualifications that he has acquired through over a decade of hard work. Let's assume Fred does not want to lie on his resumé, even if he can't volunteer the complete truth.

This one is easy he could claim that he ran a small import export business.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

See, I would VERY much like to speak with "Fred" or whoever Fred represents. I find myself having a need for some authentic Cohibas, and or Montecristos;)

So if I could get a PM from "Fred" I'd appreciate it.:)

I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill