Gawain

Building the Bionic Arm

I don't know if anyone watches 60 Minutes, I was told about this segment and streamed it tonight.

It's an excellent piece and naturally, I have a vested interest in seeing this technology evolve. They touch on lower limbs, but they go in depth with some great ingenuity with upper extremities:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4937716n

Good Stuff!!

B|B|B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I’m very happy to see them finally doing research to advance prosthetics. When they finally perfect the ability to tap into the old nerve endings, it will be like having a new arm again. It looks like the technology isn’t too far away.

I wasn’t completely sold on that guy who claimed he was tapping into his old nerves with those prosthetic sensors on his limb. Those sensors were just picking up muscle movement of what was left of his arm.

They need to physically go in with surgery and connect those old nerves into a data port of some kind that plugs into the prosthetic each time you put it on.

Stop lying, and saying those sensors are picking up nerve impulses when they aren’t. Until I see surgery being done with those nerves endings, I will not be sold. Nuff said.

I didn't see the video you are referring to but the technology to pickup the electrical impulses from nerves view sensors on the skin has been around for some time. There are a number of advanced technologies that utilize it. I wasn't able to find it but there was an article last week discussing a Japanese developed powered exoskeleton that does exactly that to move with the user without using physical pressure sensors.

I wasn't able to find it but there was an article last week discussing a Japanese developed powered exoskeleton that does exactly that to move with the user without using physical pressure sensors.

Or so they claim if you're talking about this suit;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKYabUPOoBg

Personally, I think they're scamming big time to get money from investors. I do not see how this suit could possibly work as well as it does.

Here's the American version by Sarcos (which I KNOW is a real company) and while it actually can lift impressive loads, it's HUGE and tethered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhj3Z9o6t0g
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

the technology to pickup the electrical impulses from nerves view sensors on the skin has been around for some time.

Source??

No it hasn't. You are thinking of brainwave measuring devices like EEG's. Those sensors they stick on your head are measuring voltage and being translated into brain activity.

They do have sensors that pick up muscle contractions, which trigger the motors inside the prosthetic. They don't actually pick up the impulses your brain is trying to send to the missing limb.

Think about it, if they had that technology, they could cure paralysis.

Until I see them surgically attach wires to the hacked off nerve endings, I will not believe these prosthetics are actually triggered by brain impulses. That news segment was totally misleading and perhaps gave false hope to those who want to believe this hype.

Is this a form of myoelectric prosthesis? I know that the concept has been around for a long time (it was written into a series of novels by the author Dick Francis), but it was described as not really being as flexible as the "standard" limbs; just providing better cosmesis with some utility.

It was a good story on "60 Minutes" too. I was hoping you'd be watching, and sure you'd see it later, regardless

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't know if anyone watches 60 Minutes, I was told about this segment and streamed it tonight.

It's an excellent piece and naturally, I have a vested interest in seeing this technology evolve. They touch on lower limbs, but they go in depth with some great ingenuity with upper extremities:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4937716n

Good Stuff!!

B|B|B|

I was watching House last night - an old episode that I had dvr'd - and they mentioned Brain Computer Interface and I was hoping that it was real tech!

So - maybe they can combine the two.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun