d_squared431

Do you remember when.....

you were a kid and wanted a cool pair of shoes? Then your parents would buy you the generic version of them and never the ones you wanted. I never got the shoes I wanted. When I was kid and Vans came out with the black and white checker board slip on shoes(late 70's). I wanted them so bad and instead of getting Vans my parents bought me the Kmart special knock off ones.

Well the 8yr old has been wanting the old school converse for a few weeks. He even went as far as ruining a pair of shoes thinking I would just go buy them for him. He didn't realize I would make him wear one of the other 3 pairs of shoes he has. For the last two weeks he wore shoes he hates (so he made a point to tell me that) so I finally went and bought him two pairs of shoes yesterday(converse and DC skate shoes as an early Easter gift). He slept in his converse on last night. You know how funny it is to see a kid in pj bottoms with smiley faces on them,no shirt, and converse on at 730 in the morning...[Laugh]
It just made me remember that feeling you got from getting something you really wanted when you were a kid. It made my day seeing how a pair of shoes meant so much to him.:)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

You're a good girl, Deedy. :)

That you are. And he TOTALLY knows how to work you!! :P:P

Oh well. Old Skool Cons are a necessity for any rock star. B|
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

You're a good girl, Deedy. :)

That you are. And he TOTALLY knows how to work you!! :P:P

Oh well. Old Skool Cons are a necessity for any rock star. B|

Yes he does..[Laugh].

I did make him wait a few weeks and I really wasn't going to buy the converse but they were half off so I figure what the heck...[Laugh]
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

We actually settled on a way for my son to get the (expensive) shoes he liked, while valuing them. I'd be more than willing to buy good-quality generic (I think the limit then was $50), and he had to pay the difference. Funny how his tastes changed from the $140 Air Jordans (or whatever) to something that was still cool but only about $70 :ph34r:

If he'd been playing lots of basketball or soccer or something and loved it, the rules would have been different -- once he started skating seriously we spent a lot on skates. But for stuff that was just for cool, he got to invest some in it too.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I did the same type of thing for the before-school shopping every year. I gave them a budget, $200 or whatever, and they chose what to spend their money on. If they wanted an expensive pair of jeans, they knew they'd have to wear that one pair until Christmas. They learned to shop at Ross and TJ Maxx real quick!

We have always bought good cleats for Nick though. You have to consider safety and injury prevention when they're serious about a sport.

Me...I wanted Sperry Topsiders like nothing else and got JC Penny Topsiders. When I tried to get the Sperry ones out of my dad the next year, he told me to bring the old ones to him so he could inspect them. He looked up over his newspaper and said, "they're not worn out yet" and went back to reading. That was the end of that! :ph34r:

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

One Word . . . "S P O I L E D"

What duties, above and beyond did he do to earn these?

He collects all the laundry, gets the mail, the paper, takes the garbage out, keeps his room some what clean, tries really hard with school(he has adhd,PTS,anxiety issues, and tourettes)which makes school very hard for him, and he gives good foot massages....:D:ph34r:

He is spoiled in a sense but for the first 4 yrs of his life he went thru hell so in this case a little spoiledness is okay. I got him when he was 4 and at that time he was neglected, abused and more....

The shoes he tore up he paid for with his own xmas money back in December.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

You're being a wonderful mom. The whole reason for having kids participate in the purchases is so that they value them and consider that not everything falls from the sky.

He sounds like he's already contributing to making the family, a family -- and you are too!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

room some what clean, tries really hard with school(he has adhd,PTS,anxiety issues, and tourettes)which makes school very hard for him, and he gives good foot massages

Ummm.... what kind of stuff has he blurted out recently? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ok - well as long as he gives foot massages.

Don't listen to Turtle, Deedy. He's just jealous, and wishes you were his Mama. :P
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Don't listen to Turtle, Deedy. He's just jealous, and wishes you were his Mama. :P

Turtle couldn't handle it if I were his mama...:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Turtle just wants you to spank him
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Turtle just wants you to spank him

I am sure he like that too...:D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1