Cashmanimal

Considering Urgent Care... any doctors or medically knowledgable people?

So I've had a cold for a couple weeks, but after a jump on saturday I blew my nose, and it was solid blood.

It's only from my left nostril, and it hasn't stopped. At the time I was taking antihistamines, but have since stopped (not sure if that is a good or bad thing?-- seems like the corect decision).

It's now been three days, and it's still pretty nasty. It's only from my left nostril, and it only comes out when I blow my nose, so it's not a 'normal' bloody nose situation. Normal, light green boogers come out of my right nostril (you know, how they're supposed to look when you're sick).

Anyway, urgent care is a hard thing to work out as a college student, between classes and $$. If anybody has experience with this, I'd like some assistance in making the call.

I took this picture just now, for the sake of helping convey the situation.... picture is probably SFW, but not safe for the easily grossed out.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Now you know not to jump after or during a cold. :P I had it happen to me once. Blood went up my face in freefall. :S

Probably not a bad idea to have an ENT doctor take a look.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Now you know not to jump after or during a cold. :P I had it happen to me once. Blood went up my face in freefall. :S

Probably not a bad idea to have an ENT doctor take a look.

-sigh- yeah, I figured that was the safest call.... this was my second weekend jumping with this cold. Aside from trouble clearing my ears, it really didn't bother me. Even when this happened, it didn't hurt... I just blew my nose, and it looked like a crime scene B|

Speaking of the mid-freefall bleeding, that was my main concern for the rest of the day... I kept wondering why all the tandems I filmed looked unusually terrified :ph34r:
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Go to the doctor, man. I was living with what I thought was just a minor cold/chest congestion and it turned out that I was one step away from pneumonia. It was a serious case of bronchitis that almost landed me in the ER.

Will never wait that long to go to the doctor again, that's for sure.. I'm finally better now, after a solid two weeks of misery.

So I've had a cold for a couple weeks, but after a jump on saturday I blew my nose, and it was solid blood.

It's only from my left nostril, and it hasn't stopped. At the time I was taking antihistamines, but have since stopped (not sure if that is a good or bad thing?-- seems like the corect decision).

It's now been three days, and it's still pretty nasty. It's only from my left nostril, and it only comes out when I blow my nose, so it's not a 'normal' bloody nose situation. Normal, light green boogers come out of my right nostril (you know, how they're supposed to look when you're sick).

Anyway, urgent care is a hard thing to work out as a college student, between classes and $$. If anybody has experience with this, I'd like some assistance in making the call.

I took this picture just now, for the sake of helping convey the situation.... picture is probably SFW, but not safe for the easily grossed out.

It all depends on the urgent care and if they have the proper equipment and capability to address a nasal issue. Call ahead and ask them if you should go to the ER or to their office. If it is not bleeding right now and only when you blow your nose then try not to blow it. Make an appt with your normal doc to look at it. Until then you can get some OTC nasal saline to use. Just make sure you get looked at soon.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Probably just blew a couple blood vessels, if yoou get a temp, sore throat...etc, it might get infected. unlikely.
dont jump!, a humidifier helps, blowing it all the time will aggravate it.
if youve got health care, why not, see a doc, if not...dont sweat it.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

So, let me get this straight. This happened to you and you continued to jump the rest of the day?

In short, yes. I was taking Mucinex and the antihistamines, and had used Zicam (the nasal spray version) that morning. Since it never hurt, I wrote it off as a side effect of being all dry from the cold medications. The cold seemed like it was almost gone, I had actually planed on making that day my last on the cold stuff...

Like I said, aside from blowing my nose, I feel completely normal. I don't even feel like I have the cold anymore :S (I am fully aware that this does not negate the possibility that i may have caused some damage)

When I was a student at CSU Chico, there was very very low cost general medical services provided by the university...are you attending a state college?

San Jose State.... swung by to get an appointment, they gave me a stack of papers and said "maybe thursday." I think I'll grab a couple magazines and head to urgent care soon :(

Do you live in a dry, low humidity climate? I live in UT and the same thing happens to me from time to time. It usually stops after about a day or so. Oh, and drinking does seem to make it worse (ie you get drunk Friday night then go jumping on Saturday usually brings it on for me). Have you tried WebMD.com?
Muff #5048

So, let me get this straight. This happened to you and you continued to jump the rest of the day?

In short, yes. I was taking Mucinex and the antihistamines, and had used Zicam (the nasal spray version) that morning. Since it never hurt, I wrote it off as a side effect of being all dry from the cold medications. The cold seemed like it was almost gone, I had actually planed on making that day my last on the cold stuff...

Like I said, aside from blowing my nose, I feel completely normal. I don't even feel like I have the cold anymore :S (I am fully aware that this does not negate the possibility that i may have caused some damage)

Well, I bet you learn from this . . . at least you didn't do a 270.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

First of all, thanks to everyone for the tips and advice, it was all taken seriously and with a grain o salt.

Doctor says while the sinus and ear infection would have been a source of concern 2 weeks ago, they are fading on their own. I got some light antibiotics for those.

As for the bleeding, he says as a result of the medications i was taking and high wind speeds while skydiving, I blew a few blood vessels apart in my nose. He says (as did someone above me!) don't blow my nose or a couple days, use Afrin, and buy a humidifyer.

The best part? STILL CLEARED FOR SKYDIVING, woo! He says if it doesn't hurt (which it didn't) that the antibiotics should clear me up by the weekend, and as long as I coat the inside of my nose with saline gel before each jump, I should be good as gold.

Well, I bet you learn from this . . . at least you didn't do a 270.:o

Funny enough, I did ... it was also my first night swoop B|:S

And for those in the market for a humidifier, go to Target... the children's ones are on sale. I originally wanted the frog, but ended up with the dragon. They are bigger than the Vick's humidifiers, and provide far more entertainment.

Funny enough, I did ... it was also my first night swoop

I watched you do that. Nice landing. I'm the guy that got crashed into on the tube dive. The new colors on my arm are coming along nicely.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I watched you do that. Nice landing. I'm the guy that got crashed into on the tube dive. The new colors on my arm are coming along nicely.

Yeah, geez, he just barely missed ME too! Looking at the clip, it seems you SHOULD have a hefty bruise B|

Yeah, geez, he just barely missed ME too! Looking at the clip, it seems you SHOULD have a hefty bruise B|
]

Well, yeah it's colorful alright.

You don't need to post this ... would you mind removing the link? The guy who hit me and I already talked about this.

spence, or would you prefer Captain Obvious? ;)

I haven't jumped there in a long time. This was my first jump there in a few years. The guy who hit me realizes his skill is not quite what he thought it was and I realize his skill isn't quite what he thought it was either.

What's done is done. We got away with it and some people are a bit wiser than they were a few days ago.

nah .... text doesn't come out so enthusiastic as intended. Note how I read yours?

I'm glad I'm not dead too. The owner of the rig I borrowed would have probably been out a perfectly good container.

]

Well, yeah it's colorful alright.

You don't need to post this ... would you mind removing the link? The guy who hit me and I already talked about this.

spence, or would you prefer Captain Obvious? ;)

I haven't jumped there in a long time. This was my first jump there in a few years. The guy who hit me realizes his skill is not quite what he thought it was and I realize his skill isn't quite what he thought it was either.

What's done is done. We got away with it and some people are a bit wiser than they were a few days ago.

No worries, mods beat me to it... he was actually sitting right next to me when I posted it :|:S