JerryBaumchen

Mac vs PC

I think the WWDC will be focused on iPhone OS 3.0 and possibly the next release of OS X Snow Leopard (10.6). There may be new iPhones but I agree that updated laptops and iMacs are doubtful.

I have a black Macbook at home and if the low-end Macbook has the same screen I wouldn't recommend it. Viewing angle is too narrow and I am constantly adjusting the angle of the screen.

I buy my Macs & iPods from Apple's refurb pages on the online store. You save some cash but have to be careful that you get enough ram, etc. as the models can't be configured. Same warranty as buying new.

Jerry - If there is an Apple Store close to where you live they have all kinds of possibilities for you to check out Macs and see how to do things with them. Here is a listing of all the US Apple Stores. If you click on a location it will take you t a page that shows you the workshops you can sign up for. SOme of the workshops are specifically for people with a new Mac or people that are thinking of getting one.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

For the type of usage you want to do, you will pay a major premium for an Apple product and not use its video/image editing capabilities.

What capabilities are you referring to that aren't also available to a windows machine?

I like the utility of a PC and don't want to pay a huge price just to become a fan-boy, but at the same time some of the Mac stuff is kinda cool and I like that it's not nearly as targeted by virii. Having "upgraded" to Vista in the fall, I gotta say that I do not like this OS...it's the least stable system I've worked with in my life (that I couldn't blame on dying hardware). My computer goes into a network lock 3-4 times a week and completely crashes at least once or twice.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Oye

Why is everyone fixated on the price? i get my mac rigs on E bay at a fraction of the new cost, Ya just gotta shop around :)

Define "fraction of new price" in comparison to "walk into any Best Buy and walk out with a new PC for $300"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hi Superman,

And to all of you that replied: THANKS

All of the replies have helped.

Now back to Superman: That is about where I am at. I have been having some hardware problems with my PC ( got that fixed ) and now am having software/whatever problems. The place that fixed the hardware seems to not care ( 'bring us more $$$' is their mantra ), and I am getting tired of it.

BTW, what is WWDC?

I use a computer to:

1. Get/send email
2. Do word processing
3. Look up things ( dz.com, hmmmm B|) on the internet

And that is about it. I have no interest in doing much else. I also do not own or want an Iphone; kinda old fashioned, I guess [:/]. I'm probably even un-American.

I have a couple of good friends who have made the switch to a Mac and say that they would never go back.

I think I'll try & see if there is a class for learning how to 'use' a Mac locally.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Hey Amazon, think that ad will ever turn up on tv?

Jerry, I'm not gonna get into the argument, even though I do love my Mac. I use Mac Pro's in my design classes and have my Macbook Pro for the rest of my classes and at home.

The main thing though is I just wanted you to know. If you happen to be lucky enough to be near an Apple store they do classes in the store. One of them is for people switching from PC's to Mac's. Hope that helps. :)

>walk into any Best Buy and walk out with a new PC for $300"

Well I just got a G4 tower for $250 granted it's an '04 but I bet it is every bit as fast and efficient yet more intuitive,has more memory capacity and is more reliable as any PC rig you can now get new for $300.

No doubt you're going to spend less on a new PC VS a Mac- Why?

Because we don't have to understand the inner circuitry of our machines to make them perform the desired tasks...the company already did that for us- and that is what we are paying a little extra for- superior innovation has it's price my friend.:)
But I predict this will end up a subjective preference argument in the end as always. so it really doesn't matter;)

cheers

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

BTW, what is WWDC?

World Wide Developers Conference

I use a computer to:

1. Get/send email
2. Do word processing

And that is about it. I have no interest in doing much else. I also do not own or want an Iphone; kinda old fashioned, I guess [:/]. I'm probably even un-American.

It sounds like any entry level machine running Linux would serve your needs well, and eliminate your Windows-centric issues.

You would also be fine with any Mac, however, there are some things you should know. Apple do not really compete in the low end PC market. The profit is low, so it's just not part of their business model. That affects you because a low end PC with Linux will do what you need it to do. By buying a Mac, you will have to buy more machine than you really need.

Apple do not offer a very wide variety of computers. If the feature set you needs closely matches the feature set of one of their products, then you get a machine that meets your needs at a price that's competitive with your other options. If there is not model available with all of your required features, but not many unneeded ones, then you will have to pay the "Apple tax" (i.e. you have to pay for features you don't need and may never use). Based on your stated needs, you will have to pay the Apple tax if you buy a Mac.

Having said that, an entry level Mac mini would meet your needs well if you already own a display that you like. Otherwise, an entry level iMac would serve you well.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Hi Superman,

And to all of you that replied: THANKS

All of the replies have helped.

Now back to Superman: That is about where I am at. I have been having some hardware problems with my PC ( got that fixed ) and now am having software/whatever problems. The place that fixed the hardware seems to not care ( 'bring us more $$$' is their mantra ), and I am getting tired of it.

BTW, what is WWDC?

I use a computer to:

1. Get/send email
2. Do word processing

I have a couple of good friends who have made the switch to a Mac and say that they would never go back.

I think I'll try & see if there is a class for learning how to 'use' a Mac locally.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Hey Amazon, think that ad will ever turn up on tv?

My needs are somewhat similar to yours. Microsoft Word processing internet and few other work based programs. It may be more computer than I need, but like the idea of taking it to a local apple store if the thing goes awry. I like the way it looks. I really don't want to buy a new cheap computer, new antivirus, new firewall, new etc.

The main drawbacks in my view are the price, the functionality of a tablet PC was quite nice , but since I don't have as many classes anymore its not a deal breaker.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I say again -

If there is no hardware problem (as you infer above), why buy a new computer?

Put Linux (ubuntu or linux mint) and open office on the existing machine, problem solved.

*edit to add* - And, it's free.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I say again -

If there is no hardware problem (as you infer above), why buy a new computer?

Put Linux (ubuntu or linux mint) and open office on the existing machine, problem solved.

*edit to add* - And, it's free.

fucking 25 sierras... bunch of damn geeks!

you think just because you know how to operate a big glorified radio... you're smart

btw +1 on his advice. *nux is a great os and usually runs like a damn tank
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

And 25D. And 25F. And 25L. And 25P. And a lil bit of 25Q.

:P

Truer words have never been spoken... except there are no more 25d's they are all 25b's now.

funny that the 's' has the hardest standards to achieve in the SC

/threadjack
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I'm a 3C not any of those army things...

Too bad, guess you dont know what an orthomode transducer is then do ya?

Too bad, guess you dont know what an orthomode transducer is then do ya?

No because I'm a 3C052 Software Engineer. But I do know what a transducer is... [:/]

AFSC translations: 2E1X1, 2E2X1, 2E6X2 and 2E6X3... ;)

Ok...enough threadjacking...back to the OS partisanry!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706