airtwardo

Bad economy...gotta buy a USED car.

The Z4 is a very nice car. And so is the Boxter.
Enjoy

Actually I test drove a Boxster "S" yesterday, super fast and handled like it was on rails...but I'm 6'4"...and it felt like a go-cart with my knees up around my ears.

Besides...ya know the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche?

The porcupine has the prick on the outside! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

PORSCHE = Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything

Not if it's a 914 from the early to mid 70's. Those cars are CHEAP, but FUN to drive. I had one. Bought it for $2500 with only 50K miles on it. Nobody would ride in it with me after the first 3 friends pissed their pants. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Boxter is a dog, the Boxter-S is a little better but really they are screaming "I can't afforsd a 911"!

That's exactly why the 914 of the 70's were made. They were called the "poor man's Porsche". They weren't all that popular back then, but they are classics today, especially the 2.0 engine-equipped ones. Basically, they put a VW bug's engine in a Porsche body and called it a Porsche. ;) But woah! It is fast and fun to drive, for that engine.

Also, it was built like a Porsche should be built, like a brick shithouse. I was riding in a friend's 914 when somebody ran a red light in front of us (we had the green) and we were going 50 mph. We punched the other car, a Honda Civic or something similar, in the back seat driver's side door, and spun that car around 270 degrees. Had no time to hit the brakes. Then after impact, we had no brakes, but the transmission got sheared off the mounts and drug us to a stop half a block away. The front end was crumpled up just a few inches and the windshield was intact, no cracks. And we had the Targa top off too. Neither of us were hurt at all. Thankfully the douchebag in the other car wasn't either. Hit him a split second sooner and he'd be in the hospital for sure.

I was so impressed that I went and got one too. Fine bit of engineering in a cheap package. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

, especially the 2.0 engine-equipped ones. Basically, they put a VW bug's engine in a Porsche body and called it a Porsche. ;) But woah! It is fast and fun to drive, for that engine.

Actually the 2.0 was the VW bus engine originally. You're right, though, it's all about power to weight ratio and good handling. I had a Spitfire, probably one of the most basic sports cars in the world, not that much horsepower. But talk about fun.;)

Billy, the "poor man's 911" is a 912 (it's a 911 with a 4-cyl engine instead of the 6). The 914 was the opposite of the 911 in that it started out as a 4-cyl car & eventually had a 6-cyl engine installed. Yes, there was a 914-6! The 914 was also a real mid-engine car while the 911/912 was/is rear-engine.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Billy, the "poor man's 911" is a 912 (it's a 911 with a 4-cyl engine instead of the 6). The 914 was the opposite of the 911 in that it started out as a 4-cyl car & eventually had a 6-cyl engine installed. Yes, there was a 914-6! The 914 was also a real mid-engine car while the 911/912 was/is rear-engine.

I thought it was the 916 that had the 6 cyl engine, or maybe the 916 was just a 914 with the body mods added on. I have seen a 914 with a fugging V8 engine crammed in there, I shit you not. It's been more than 10 years since I had my 914 and it was a damn nice one. Beautiful in black.

I'll bet you look like a giraffe in a jelly jar driving that thing around. Can you even close the top with your sasquatch ass in the driver's seat?

A buddy was cruising along a long, straight road one day, when he noticed he was being overtaken. He did a double-take when he realized the car overtaking him appeared to have a round light on top, and he began to decelerate to the speed limit. He became puzzled when he realized, (as the car came closer), that it was a small sports car.

Then it became apparent: The top was down, and the car was being driven by a big guy, with a bald head.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi David,

the "poor man's 911" is a 912 (it's a 911 with a 4-cyl engine instead of the 6). The 914 was the opposite of the 911 in that it started out as a 4-cyl car & eventually had a 6-cyl engine installed. Yes, there was a 914-6! The 914 was also a real mid-engine car while the 911/912 was/is rear-engine.

That is correct; except that there was also a 916, as mentioned.

Now here is the 'real story:' In Germany the 914 PORSCHE was the 914 VOLKSWAGEN. They put a Porsche badge on it when they shipped them to the USA.

JerryBaumchen
Former owner of 2 Porsches ( the real ones )

I'll bet you look like a giraffe in a jelly jar driving that thing around. Can you even close the top with your sasquatch ass in the driver's seat?

It has a top?! :o:ph34r::P

:D:D:D

...it IS a bit tight!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~