shall555

Big Air Sportz canopies and rib color limitation

I was just doing a bit of "window-shopping" and checking out canopies.

On the Big Air Sportz canopy order forms, there's an odd limitation:

Internal ribs may not be black, blackberry or navy.

I didn't see a restriction like that on any other manufacturer's order form.

Do these colors make the fabric weaker ? Or is it simply more difficult to construct with darker colors in those spots ?

( A query to Big Air Sportz has, so far, not been answered. )

shall
B|

It makes it much harder to sew the Airlocks on in correctly. PD does it on the Vengence, but Brian does not allow it on his canopies due to the issue of construction hassle.

As it was explained to me you have to sew blind through an airlock, a rib and another airlock to put it on. Dark fabric means you are truely blind to the second airlock, but lighter fabrics mean you can get the outline of the fabric to make sure its lined up right.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It makes it much harder to sew the Airlocks on in correctly. PD does it on the Vengence, but Brian does not allow it on his canopies due to the issue of construction hassle.

This doesn't really make sense. According to a conversation I had with Brian at SDC's Spring Expo, all of his canopy's are manufactured by PD anyway.

It was my impression that "signature series" canopies are manufactured by PD and then Brian mods them somehow.

No. "Signature" canopies are made by Brian himself.

He prefers not to do make canopies in the summer, when he does most of his traveling. Most of his "Signature" canopies get made in the winter.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I just found this thread that discusses Brian's "Signature Series."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1622680

The Signature Series is a version of the Samurai and Lotus with some product updates that PD is unable to produce at this time. I build them myself.

I have added a cross-bracing reinforcing tape along the airlock panels, running from the "A" line attachment to the apex of the non-loaded ribs. This makes the wing stiffer, and flattens each cell to create a better wing shape. I also increased the contraction of the leading edge tapes on the top and bottom skins, which reduces the drag of the wing in flight as well as softening the openings. This also reduces the front riser pressure. I am now also offering the swoop line-set, which dives longer to allow the pilot to start the dive higher and gain more speed.

I think this is where I got the impression that the "Signature Series" was still manufactured by PD and then modded by Brian. After giving the thread a second look, it specifically states that they are built by Brian. I stand corrected.

I can't speak for the Vengance, but everything else you say tallies with what Brian told me when I wanted dark ribs for my forthcoming Samurai.

You bought a Sami,:o Biotch:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?