Jewels

Fixing the Driveway

Mom's driveway needs to be repaired because it's flaking off in the corner and crumbling a bit underneath. Is it possible to repair something like that, or will she have to re-do the whole section? I'm not sure how expensive those kinds of repairs are. (My husband says we can't buy that "spackle" type repair material to fix it because the area is too big. I'm guessing it's maybe . . . 18" across?) If she were to totally replace the driveway since it's aging, how much would that run (ballpark)? Anybody know?
TPM Sister #102

Concrete or blacktop? Think you ment concrete.

Recent quote in MI for about 80 ft x 10' of single lane driveway flaring to two car garage at back including to concreate small stoops was $9000. YMMV. LOTS of variables including how far from the concrete plant.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

For such a small area as you describe it would be very simple to rent a cement saw and cut out the damage then install a new 6-8 inch thick "pad" in it's place.

Of course... you could mix up a batch of patch and trowel it down like putty. What would it hurt if it lasted for a year or ten?

A blacktop driveway here goes for $100 per foot twelve feet wide so a 20' drive would cost you $2000.

jon

This can be really simple, or really complicated, and the results could be good, or bad, & could last forever, or only a year. There's not enough information given, so my first suggestion would be to google "concrete repair" or "asphalt repair" & start researching.

Judging by the info I can see here so far, I think a bag or 2 or ready-mix & some adhesion promoter & some sort in a form are all that's needed, but that's just a WAG (wild ass guess).
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

What area of the country is this in? Any place with freeze-thaw winters, are not conducive to patching. The saw cutting and full thickness replacement will work almost anywhere. Be sure to drill some bolts (12" oc) into the sides of the cuts and leave approximately 2-3" protude into the new pour.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Thanks, everyone. Yes, it's concrete and it's in Colorado, so we can get some hard weather in the winter now and then. I really appreciate the input. I vote for the replacement plan that doesn't have four digits.:|

TPM Sister #102