USAF Pararescue

National Geographic did a really good and very in-depth 6-hour series on USAF Pararescue training/ops a while back. Those guys are hardcore! Navy SEAL BUDS seems to get all the attention, so this was eye-opening. Anyone else seen it? I'm watching hour 4 right now...

Series is available on Piratebay - just do a search for "documentary" (under "video"), and then check the first few resulting pages.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yeah, the SEALS may go look for bad guys and/or blow shit up, but the para-rescue guys go anywhere anytime to get downed pilots back.

Seriously badass.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yeah, the SEALS may go look for bad guys and/or blow shit up, but the para-rescue guys go anywhere anytime to get downed pilots back.

Seriously badass.

not just Pilots!

Bob Holler was a Bad Ass!

Anyone who ever knew of him mourned his loss.

I never met him, but I know someone that Bob came for when he was needed.

Now the guy is just over 50yrs old a a minor gimp.:P

If they ever erect a statue to memorialize him, I have two bowling balls I will donate for it's construction.

National Geographic did a really good and very in-depth 6-hour series on USAF Pararescue training/ops a while back. Those guys are hardcore! Navy SEAL BUDS seems to get all the attention, so this was eye-opening. Anyone else seen it? I'm watching hour 4 right now...

Series is available on Piratebay - just do a search for "documentary" (under "video"), and then check the first few resulting pages.

There is another side to USAF Special Tactics, Combat Control Teams. PJ's and CCT's are assigned to the same squadrons. CCT's are the air traffic controllers for assaults, air strikes, infiltrations, exfiltrations, etc. Their motto is "First In - Last Out." A past CCT commander at Hurlburt AFB, FL described his men as, "The interface between the most awesome firepower on earth and the poor bastard who has to receive it." The last US military person to leave Vietnam was CCT member Larry Brabham on 15 Apr 75. As the NVA were advancing on Ton Son Nhut air base, Larry was working the evacuation aircraft. It is reported that his last transmission was, "They've crossed the wire. I'm blowing the radios and I'm outa here."

I am honored by my association with these quiet professionals. They taught me to jump in 1963 and have allowed me to be a member of the Combat Control Association.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

my cousin is USAF pararescue... a lot of them get attached to other special forces units to support them in combat situations.

my cousin was actually going through training around the time the series was shot and knew a few of the guys in the show.

I agree that pararescue guys are bad ass...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Most of the rescue squadrons are located along coastal regions where the cost of living has outpaced incomes despite the additional hazardous duty pay. The military really needs a thorough review of their compensation programs particularly their high risk occupations.