braden.smith

Diving Exit

Hey Everybody,
My name is Braden and I am new to the sport of skydiving. I did my first tandem at Skydive Utah back in Oct of 2008. I spent the entire winter wanting to dive again. When april rolled around I did my second tandem and then began AFF with some great instructors and skydive Utah. I recently did my 20th and 21st jumps and I finally completed a (somewhat successful) diving exit after four attempts. Chris Warnock photo documented my attempt. this link will show you the pics. Please feel free to give me some feedback that will make me less squirly. Thanks. http://www.bradensdomain.netfirms.com/jump.html

jump more and you will learn to relax more, you are doing fine

show the pics to an instructor and they can use them to describe exactly what to do
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

These shots are a really good example of Relative Wind. Show them to your instructors and have a talk about what relative wind is and you'll be able to look this good every time.
After you understand relative wind, start thinking about WHAT to do instead of HOW to do. By now you should be able to control your heading, move forward, and stop your movement. That's really all there is to skydiving. It's just mobility in a different medium. You don't think about HOW to walk to the cooler and get a beer, you just think, "I'm thirsty" and you go get it. Lebron James doesn't think about HOW to dribble the ball. He just sees where he want to go.
There are only 3 places you can be on this planet. On the ground, in the water, or in the air. It took you about 6 calender months to learn to walk. In that time, I guess you spent a total of 500 hours (the equivalent of 3 weeks) actually trying and practicing. When you were older, you learned to swim. That took you about 3 weeks of calender time of which you practiced maybe 20 hours. Now you're learning to skydive and at about 18 minutes you gained the mobility in this medium that took much, much longer to learn in the other 2. Skydiving is about the easiest thing you've ever learned to do.
So have fun, be safe.
(Also, smileing makes everything easier.)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Other than a little wigged out, you look just fine. Leaving an airplane head first is one of the stranger feelings you've ever had, especially the part about almost flipping over (but you didn't though). It just takes a little getting used to before you're completely comfortable with it. And you WILL get completely comfortable with it, believe me.

Lots of other good advice here, especially about showing the pics to your instructor for a discussion of relative wind.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

On exit, curl your legs up round your own arse and push your arms all the way over your head. It should help stop you going so far head down and prevent unwanted front flippage. Just remember to stretch your legs out again when you level out or you'll be backsliding. Your legs are your biggest control surface, the quicker you can aware of what they are doing the better. Apart from that, just relax and enjoy it.