Nataly

First motorcycle - thoughts??

My current helmet is not 'the best' overal helmet ... but fits well and has a lifting front ... which is great for my current Courier job (I don't have to take off my lid when I make a stop to deliver) ... it also allows good ventilation around town.

I hope NEVER to find out just how good it is:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Put it this way, when you have a great helmet you like and it would cost over $800 to replace it, would you want to get rid of it because the liners are deteriorating?

I thought helmets had a shelf-life of something like 3 years (depending) because stuff like sun-rays break it down & make it more brittle, etc.. No??

Can't imagine spending $800 on a helmet.. Especially when the *really* cool one that make your head look like a sexy bowling ball only cost like £50!!! :ph34r:
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Chicks look hot all geared up;)B|.

:$:$:$Shades of Marianne Faithfull in 'Girl on a Motorcycle':$ ... and yes, I really am that old:P

Holy fuck.. I don't know who she is, but she's still HOT!!! :$
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

You might want to consider this:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/14december08_yamaha2009tmax_p1.htm

499CC, sporty look and no shifting.

No shifting leads to serious accidents.

My old Magna has six gears and that's one too many, lets compromise here.;)

The only thing I ever rode that didn't require shifting was a little rental scooter in Key West that would go about thirty MPH.:$ I don't think that would really qualify in understanding what you to refer to as causing serious accidents.:D

Seriously (NPI), just curious as to how much difference it makes.

Thanks
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

You might want to consider this:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/14december08_yamaha2009tmax_p1.htm

499CC, sporty look and no shifting.

The rules are pretty different over here. First of all, I already have my motorcycle licence, but the one I have limits me to a 125cc, and expires every 2 years. (And I can't ride on mororways - aka highways.)

Second, the full licence has 2 options..

1 - A 2-year power-restriction of 125cc, after which you can ride anything.

2 - Take the test with a 500cc and you can ride anything straight away.

There is no middle ground if you have the restriction - 125cc is the max you can ride even if it is a scooter.

The thing to consider is that riding in the UK is not like riding in the States.. Over here, the roads are narrow and congested. You can't find big empty parking lots to practise in - parking over here is usually on the side of the road. Even if you buy a bike for highway-driving, you inevitably will spend a lot of time weaving in and out of traffic, which is why a big heavy bike to me has very little appeal.

I also think car drivers in the UK are *totally* unaware/disrespectful of motorcycles, so I think it's dangerous over here. I can't really say if it's *more* dangerous, but certainly I have cycled in the UK and feared for my life - did the same in Canada, the US, and France and felt perfectly at ease. So I'm keen to have the skills to actually ride/manoeuvre a bike before I even consider getting something powerful & heavy.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Bikerbabe is right on... I learned bike shifting and pickup truck shifting at age 14 on farm roads... that helped me in many many things in life including helicopter school !! think about it... a new heli pilot trainee who has not learned to use all 4 limbs at the same time.. well, it is harder for them.

Shifting must be just beyond some people. At both their requests, have tried repeatedly to teach my neice and nephew, both Master degreed, successful individuals, how to drive the five speed Geo Tracker that we use as an ATV here on the farm. They both drive and have always driven automatics and still, after giving them lessons every time they visit, neither has a clue as to how to drive the five speed.[:/] Maybe that's why they don't visit as often anymore.:ph34r::ph34r:

Going into a curve or corner and having something occur that requires dumping gears and grabbing lots of brake is what I am referring to.

I do not trust an auto trans on something more than a scooter.

Kind'a what I got to thinking after the question was asked. The thought of not being able to downshift immediately when needed is pretty frightening.

Honda had an a 550cc back in the eithties called a Hawk (?) that had an auto trans. Guess that's why, other than that whimpy 500cc thing and it being very fugly, it never quite caught on with the MC public.:ph34r::ph34r:

I guess that's just a little tough for us over here to get to grips with ... we have so few Automatic cars that proper gear boxes are the norm... we just get on with it.

Yeah, I remember coming over here and telling people that back home I was really unusual for driving stick shift!!

I don't like driving an automatic.. It just seems like you unnecessarily lose that extra bit of control and finesse.. But even after 5 years of driving over here, I still think it's more "natural" to change gears with my right hand!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Move back to Canada. Say it with me "Screw you guys, I'm going home.";)

*SOOO* tempting, except for the 9 months of winter!! :D:D:D
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Even if you buy a bike for highway-driving, you inevitably will spend a lot of time weaving in and out of traffic, which is why a big heavy bike to me has very little appeal.

Bike weight and size are only an issue when it comes to getting it up on the center stand, out of a down-hill parking job (meaning you've screwed up), or off-the ground (meaning you've screwed up, perhaps getting it on the center stand).

Even if you buy a bike for highway-driving, you inevitably will spend a lot of time weaving in and out of traffic, which is why a big heavy bike to me has very little appeal.

Bike weight and size are only an issue when it comes to getting it up on the center stand, out of a down-hill parking job (meaning you've screwed up), or off-the ground (meaning you've screwed up, perhaps getting it on the center stand).

I know I'm a novice, but everyone tells me that weight and size *does* matter when it comes to manoeuvrability in slow/congested traffic.

As I said - roads are narrow here, so you can't always escape traffic.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss