Andy9o8

Les Paul dies

Yeah
Les is the man- there's a pic of him in the July Parachutist high exposure... invented lots of designs and influenced just about everybody...I am going to go play a blues tune now...... though I don't have a Gibson Les Paul.....they are about three grand now:(

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Blue Skies, Les! I can't wait to hear the jam sessions you will lead! Wow!

The list of Les' inventions is remarkable, fromt eh solid body electric guitar, to over dubbing, to tape delays to sound effects, every single record or cd we own owes something or another to Les.

He will be missed. Time to go home and cuddle my guitars.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

IMHO, THE single most important individual in modern music. Who's to say what music would be like today WITHOUT his 6 or 7 decades of influence?

RIP Mr. Paul.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

I've been on E bay lately looking at axes and I have noticed that a number of people are trying to cash in on Les Pauls passing. There are a number of Gibson Les Paul models and a few Epiphone copies that have signatures on them,people need to be wary of fakes for one and the claim that some folks are making that the price of Les Paul model guitars will skyrocket "so buy one now" is BULLSHIT- The guitar is still in production and you shouldn't have to pay more than $1800 to 2 grand for a Standard flame top- Custom shop ones up to three grand.
-considering a Paul Reed Smith goes from 2 to 4 thousand US, this is still a good deal for a nice production electric guitar!

The only Les Pauls that should go up in value are vintage ones, those that he actually owned, or ones that have authentic signatures.

don't buy into the hype-
D S #3.1415

The only Les Pauls that should go up in value are vintage ones, those that he actually owned, or ones that have authentic signatures.

Agreed.

P.S.- The Epiphone LPs are actually quite decent. (And I don't say that just cos Slash has a sig model ;)). For those LP lovers who want to economize, but don't want yet another garden-variety Strat-knockoff :S, just to save money, the Epi is a respectable way to get into your first Les Paul. (Plus, you can always change-out the pickups! :P)

>The Epiphone LPs are actually quite decent.

Absolutely-

I have a Washburn J3 which is a Gibson ES 175 copy- it is very nice but I could not fork over the $4000 for an original Gibson Jazz box which is really what I want....copies ARE a good way to get the feel of the original without the sticker shock.

I should be more specific....there are some copies with Les Paul signatures on them. He signed a few I am sure but some people take a cheap guitar, slap a signed pick guard on it, both fake and genuine, and make a killing on some poor sucker.

-I saw something like that on the Pawn Stars TV show in the states.:D

D S #3.1415

What an awesome dude. When I lived in NYC I worked on 60th at Columbus. I often worked late concerts, etc. and would grab some dinner and take it to the small park around the corner that was across the street from Iridium Jazz Club. A couple times a month I would end up sharing a bench with this nice old dude. Never got too deep into conversation, usually just spent 30 or 45 minutes commenting on the people hustling and bustling past Lincoln Center. I was always happy to see him there, and usually got a smile from him when I happened to show up too.

Eventually Iridium closed down that location and moved further downtown. I never saw the guy again either. Only put two and two together about a year later when a co-worker commented that he missed seeing Les Paul hanging in the little park once in a while when he was in the area to play his set at the Iridium. :)

Killing threads since 2004.

Blue Skies, Les! I can't wait to hear the jam sessions you will lead! Wow!

The list of Les' inventions is remarkable, fromt eh solid body electric guitar, to over dubbing, to tape delays to sound effects, every single record or cd we own owes something or another to Les.

He will be missed. Time to go home and cuddle my guitars.

About three weeks ago we stopped at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland while passing through on a road trip. All the LP items you mentioned and lots more, including the "rail" or "log" or whatever that thing with the removable "wings" was called, were on display on the entire seventh floor. Awesome display of historic items that changed the music world forever. Well worth seeing.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Thats a great story, He prolly really appreciated being a regular joe on that bench just doing some people watching.

Unfortunately people like him are exploited for their signatures.....I guess it's part of being a celebrity, and they do get payed hefty sums for it so it's not all bad.

Here is an example in the pic.......note that there are about 50 pick guards on the table, these are now on E bay for $200 apiece.
D S #3.1415

I heard that he had passed-away while listening to the radio, while I was driving and it really choked me up. I thought of all the times as a kid, I saw he and his (then) wife, Mary Ford on the old 'Ed Sullivan' show. I'd watch them play. I was mesmerized. I guess, the Good Lord needed another good picker.
Thank you Sir, for all you did.

Chuck

I heard that he had passed-away while listening to the radio, while I was driving and it really choked me up.

Funny you should say that. I remember hearing about Stevie Ray Vaughan's death on the car radio while in a driving rainstorm on I-95 in the middle of the night. I almost had to pull over. Anyhow, unlike Stevie Ray, Les lived a nice, long life. It was his time. In fact, I'll bet Les is saying to Stevie, "Boy, what you using that Strat for?"

Les and Leo Fender were good friends. When Fender was in the process of introducing his first electric solid-body, he called-on Les Pausl for help and advice. It was Le though, who introduced the 'humbucking' pick-up.
When Chet Atkins recieved his first Gretsch guitar, he took-out their pick-ups and used Les Paul style pick-ups.
Les Paul was very influetial in the guitar business.

Chuck