nigel99

Nice F16 photo

Im pretty sure that plane isnt nearly as low as it looks. I think its an effect of using a very long lens. Even in Iraq I cant imagine the hard deck is 30 feet ; p

If it's long lens compression, it's heavily photoshopped, because the light angles are too consistent, and the long lens would have to be a VERY fast lens ie; 1.8 1.8 lens at that focal length would not only be huge in size, but would be difficult to carry in battlefield situations.
That said, I know the combat camera unit from Coronado has one, but I don't know if it deploys or not.
Either it's a heavily photoshopped pic, or a pic shot wth a very fast, reasonably stable lens (another argument that it's probably not a long lens) But damn...I'd like to play with the RAW of that shot to really make it scream. Nice frame.

Nah... Photoshop

I thought so too. But I could be wrong. . .

1) How soon after takeoff would you retract landing gear? Are the gear actuators/motors fast enough to bring the gear in and close wheel wells before the aircraft clears the light trees at the end of the runway?

2) What would the purpose of Sidewinders be in
Afghanistan? Does the Taliban have aircraft? Those are exclusively air intercept missiles.

But, I see slight flaps deployed and a heat trail behind the exhaust that are wide open (usually that wide open because afterburners are open) so maybe it was doing a buzz over the lengh of the runway. And what rules say that you can't have sidewinders over there? For all I know, it could have been ferried over from it's country of origin. So, I don't know.

When we do combat departures, we take off and stay low to gain airspeed as fast as possible. Getting the gear up by the end of the runway is NOT a factor.

Aim-9's don't take any room on the toy-jet since those stations can't carry bombs. In combat dual role guys nearly always carry a missile or two - just in case.

When we do combat departures, we take off and stay low to gain airspeed as fast as possible. Getting the gear up by the end of the runway is NOT a factor.

Aim-9's don't take any room on the toy-jet since those stations can't carry bombs. In combat dual role guys nearly always carry a missile or two - just in case.

That's a good enough explaination for me. I'll side with the photo being real.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

You can talk more of that pilot talk if you want to. ;):):):)

What else would you like to hear about? B|

Talk about ALQ, ECIPS, PIDS, what you can put on every station and right/left hard points;)
"flying" is the most reasonable thing I ever done

I don't even know how to respond without losing status as a "respectable" member.... :$:$:$

So lets just say:

B|B|B|B|B|

awww hell.

Tell us about a low pass on the landing strip.
Talk about thrust.
Tell us about how hard and fast you can keep it going with the afterburners on. B|B|

Talk about thrust.
Tell us about how hard and fast you can keep it going with the afterburners on. B|B|

Go on talking, there's more thrill in it than in any erotic talk ... ;)

Not even 60 km from my hometome is a base, where my big brother served more than 10 years. Still today if time allows me I go there, just sitting in my car and watching (and listening) those guys doing their training, watching them passing by upright (edgewise ?), low, what a noise - that's pure energy :$B|B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

:)

I don't even know how to respond without losing status as a "respectable" member.... :$:$:$

So lets just say:

B|B|B|B|B|

awww hell.

Talk about thrust.

:)

Talk about thrust.

Not even 60 km from my hometome is a base, where my big brother served more than 10 years. Still today if time allows me I go there, just sitting in my car and watching (and listening) those guys doing their training, watching them passing by upright (edgewise ?), low, what a noise - that's pure energy :$B|B|

Just cuz something is arousing, doesn't mean that it also isn't fascinating.

I would listen if he wanted to talk about the variant that he flew, the two Pratt & Whitneys, the AN/ALQ-135(V) internal countermeasures system, the armament.... or even talking about playing crud (if they still do that B|B| )

Talk about thrust.

I bet they could see your hand under your skirt from low altitude.;)

I would listen if he wanted to talk about the variant that he flew, the two Pratt & Whitneys, the AN/ALQ-135(V) internal countermeasures system, the armament.... or even talking about playing crud (if they still do that B|B| )

I fly the F-15C. Two Pratt & Whitneys put out 24,000 lbs of thrust or 26,000 lbs depending on which set you've got. Sorry - all the ALQ stuff is classified. We carry 6 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9Xs. We still do play crud and it's the best game on the planet.

Going low and fast is fun, but its also the best way to end your career. Unless there is a specific reason that we get to do it (Tactical airspace, filed low-level, airshow or flyby) we can get into a lot of trouble. The european guys (and the USN) have a lot more leeway and don't get into as much trouble.

105's haven't been in service for at least 20 years. 1000 mph is possible, but not normal for those guys. Still, even at 600 or 700, the world is going by pretty fast!

I fly the F-15C. Two Pratt & Whitneys put out 24,000 lbs of thrust or 26,000 lbs depending on which set you've got. Sorry - all the ALQ stuff is classified. We carry 6 AMRAAMs and 2 AIM-9Xs. We still do play crud and it's the best game on the planet.

Going low and fast is fun, but its also the best way to end your career. Unless there is a specific reason that we get to do it (Tactical airspace, filed low-level, airshow or flyby) we can get into a lot of trouble. The european guys (and the USN) have a lot more leeway and don't get into as much trouble.

105's haven't been in service for at least 20 years. 1000 mph is possible, but not normal for those guys. Still, even at 600 or 700, the world is going by pretty fast!

NICE!!!

There are times that I wish that I had had the eyes (and the chromosomes) for a pilot slot (especially a T38 slot!) But... it's also nice having good friends that I can live viacariously through when I feel the need.

Trust me though... I'm not complaining about the life journey that I did take. Being a physician and going on medical missions to Peru is pretty cool too!!!

But.... 600-700mph B|B|B|B|

- and I'm glad you still play crud. I wouldn't want to have to feel "old" and out of touch with todays fighter pilots. B|

Perhaps we need an airplane / air craft thread?

[urlhttp://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/08/in_flight.html[/url]
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

The guy I spoke with said they flew low and fast to keep from getting shot up over Hanoi. I don't know if the 1000mph number was an exaggeration or not. I remember seeing a couple of 105's at Vance AFB in the early 60's when my dad worked there. They made a stop there for some reason and I happened to be there when they took off. They certainly impressed an 11-year old kid.

Perhaps we need an airplane / air craft thread?

[urlhttp://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/08/in_flight.html[/url]

wow some amazing pictures in that link thanks. I guess my favourite is the Chinese helicopter though.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.