Tuna-Salad

How to deal with telemarketers / bill collectors

Simple solution - get rid of your land line. I went to cell-only 5 years ago and I can't recall a single telemarketing call that I've received since.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had to block my cell number a few times over the year from sales calls. You are lucky you dont get any.

True - I am pretty fortunate. I try my best to be pretty careful about where I provide the number - I think that's helped. And I do occasionally get calls where the number shows as "Unavailable" so I suppose those could be telemarketers (I very rarely answer those and they don't usually leave messages).

My work cell and desk phone were plagued for a while with those "Your car warranty is about to expire" calls ... THAT was annoying.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Simple solution - get rid of your land line. I went to cell-only 5 years ago and I can't recall a single telemarketing call that I've received since.

Really? Most telemarketers seem to respect the "do not call" list as far as my land line is concerned, but lately I've been getting a daily call on my cell from some telemarketing company (automated) and it isn't the first time. Not like I get a ton of them, but they still come through.

I've also learned you can't get rid of the bill collectors if you share a land line with someone who doesn't pay his or her bills. Or if some deadbeat who used to have your phone number is still giving it out to people 7 years later! :S But, that's what caller ID is for, right?

I try my best to be pretty careful about where I provide the number - I think that's helped.

Easier said than done for most people, especially if you don't have a land line. When I was moving, I had to give my cell number out to virtually everyone. Insurance agent, cable company, gas, electric, phone companies, movers, etc. I'm pretty sure that's how I got those car warranty scam calls a few months ago, and the ones I am getting now. Funny- I've got a 10 year old car with over 100K on it- my warranty is ABOUT to expire??? :D

Yeah, I guess I've just been very fortunate - I do give my number out when necessary, but I was more referring to filling out "sweepstakes entries" and other random places where they're clearly just trying to get marketing info.

If I have to put something (like in an online form) I find (Area Code) 555-1212 works well.

When they ask me 'how are you today', I tell them how glad I am they asked then, procede to lay-on the sadest sob story I can think of. They either hang-up on me or say they will call at a 'better' time. So far, those kinda' calls are few and far between.
You might ask them if, they are calling from a prison, too. Many telemarketing calls are from phone banks in prisons.

Chuck

but lately I've been getting a daily call on my cell from some telemarketing company (automated) and it isn't the first time.

You can put your cell number on the _donotcall.gov_ list also.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

but lately I've been getting a daily call on my cell from some telemarketing company (automated) and it isn't the first time.

You can put your cell number on the _donotcall.gov_ list also.

Actually, I thought I had. Its not like I get a lot of those calls anyway. I just use my caller ID and ignore the call. Besdes, I just read today that they just passed a law to make those "robotic" telemarketing calls illegal. Not like it stops them, really, but its a start.

I personally look forward to those calls.
I have a home phone number that someone else used to stiff creditors. Since they don’t listen when I tell them I’m not the party, they don’t believe it. So I just changed what I say to them. One of my favorites is;
“Ya know, I discussed that bill with my wife and we decided to take a vacation with that money”.
When that gets old, I tell them to hold on and I simply hang up. When they call right back I do the same thing again. They usually quit after the 3rd try.
Telemarketers are handled differently. When I get the live person, I simply push the test button on the smoke detector I have next to the phone. I hold the mouthpiece right up to it. Each and every time I did that, I went back on the line and there was nobody there.
I will miss my fun, a new law not says that recorded telemarketing calls are now illegal but politicians and bill collectors can still use them. The politicians will now get an earful as well.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime