xavenger

Returning nervous after injury layoff - 7 cell canopy?

Hi there

Just over a year ago I broke my leg badly whilst jumping. However, within a couple of weeks I will be fit enough to start jumping again and I am really looking forward to .. but .. well .. you know the whole landing thing is doing my head in a bit ;-)

My last canopy (Pilot 168) was too fast for me and because of some stumbles early on I never got confident flying it. I got it shortly after AFF and had a number of landing problems all the way through to jump 200 when I did my leg in - my ability to handle the speed of the canopy were a contributing factor in the accident. My stupidity in not having got shot of the canopy earlier are covered in detail elsewhere.

My next canopy is going to be loaded at 1 - 1.1 maximum (the Pilot was higher). I am happy to stay at this level for a zillion jumps. I need to get to a position where I am 100% confident piloting and landing a canopy safely. I need to get to a stage where I am not worrying my arse off about the landing – before I even get in the plane etc ;-)

A number of people have suggested I that I get a Spectre or a Triathlon - that these tend to be more "forgiving" and generally a much easier canopy to land than their 9 cell brethren, with a powerful flair and much less forward speed.

Can anyone provide me with some feedback as to whether they think this is the case and whether they think the above canopies are suited to a pathetic scaredey cat like me?

Thanks people :-)

J

A number of people have suggested I that I get a Spectre or a Triathlon - that these tend to be more "forgiving" and generally a much easier canopy to land than their 9 cell brethren, with a powerful flair and much less forward speed.

I am a pathetic scaredy cat; I load my Spectre at 1.0. It opens nice, it's fun to fly, and it's somewhat forgiving of poor flare technique (ie easy to get decent landings). I find front risering to be difficult, and the toggle pressure is heavier than on a Safire loaded about 1.15 that I put some jumps on recently.

I'd suggest jumping one loaded about 1.0 when you get back in the air; if you find you like it, then buy one.

It opens nice, it's fun to fly, and it's somewhat forgiving of poor flare technique (ie easy to get decent landings).

Seconded. I've loads of fun with mine, and it's very forgiving of my somewhat-less-than-optimal packing technique.

I jumped a lot of 7 cells and 9 cells early on... I know a lot of Spectre fans, but I found 9 cells loaded 1.1 to 1 ish easier to land than 7 cells FOR ME... But that is just me, perhaps you should demo/rent both to see which one you like...

i think you should get on a canopy piloting course it definitely helped me. I currently fly a new pilot 168 and had a really bad time at the start with landing problems but the instructors at the dz helped me out by finding the problem to be my breaklines where to long. They where adjusted, but my confidence in landing at the time had been shot to bits. No problem in freefall just canopy flight got on a piloting course video landing bebrief by experienced canopy pilot. There is so much we do not understand about the canopies we fly, it was a real eye opener and confidence builder :)
check the bpa website or contact them and see if there are any courses on that you could attend, well worth the time and money:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Yes Pincheck a canopy piloting course is a good idea, it's a good idea for most skydivers. I have already done Scott Millers course out in Deland and had a day's coaching with someone else .. within a couple of weeks of getting back in to the groove again - I will do another one.

7 cell canopies generally have lower aspect ratios. (No cross-braced comments please..)

Lower aspect ratios generally mean a steeper glide and lower forward speed - and as we all know, speed is lift.

Any moderate planform at the wing loading you suggest should give you no problem.

As with most things in skydiving, it's the pilot, not the canopy, so I suggest you follow the advice on attending a canopy control course.

Good luck.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

My Triathlon 190 has the same forward speed (measured) as a sabre I 190. Back when I busted up my leg bad I couldn't take a running step for a couple of years. So if I had any forward speed left I had to slide on my butt. Since I hadn't jumped a ZP canopy before the injury (1987) I ordered a Raven IV. To start on. Then went to a Manta. After I got one of the screws removed I could run again so I got a Sabre 190. Between the 280 sq. ft. F111 9 cell manta and the 190 9 cell zp sabre, when I wanted a for sure soft landing I grabed the sabre.

Pick a ZP, non elliptical at the right size and don't worry about it being 7 or 9. I just don't believe it matters anymore. Investigate aspect ratio for more information than number of cells.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE