virgin-burner

Zyban or Champix/Chantix

so, i tried it with the gum, dont think thats working, you're just replacing nicotine with nicotine, you're still an addict. not gonna try the patches!

then there's accupuncture and other alternative ways; i'm quite fond of "real" pharmacy tough..

apparently, with Champix you also get support via texts or email. its more expensive, but the additional motivation might be worth the cost..

anyone tried the one or other, or have friends that did? care to share your experiences? i'm pretty sick of this smoking shit, but if i quit cold turkey, i feel like killing either myself, or anyone in my vincinity.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

VB,I tried both and going cold tourkey is what worked best for me.
But with the Zyban I started to get some real bad side effects...like I was getting more pyscotic then my usual self..I was going to quite my job,move to a cabin in the woods..got very anti-social..really had to stop taking it and wild dreams too.
The Chantix worked well as long as I was on it...took away the craving and made cigs taste like shit!I just did not want to even try to smoke,only trouble was once you stop taking it the cravings come back....
I had alot of people I know quit for good on the Chantix,but not on the Zyban...

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

my mom tried zyban and fell into severe depression.. but maybe she quit too fast after she started the treatment..

are there many known suicides in correlation to chantix!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I tried Zyban years ago and almost killed everyone around me. That stuff really messed with my head. Weird, really vivid dreams and outbursts of complete anger at stupid crap.

Quit cold turkey after my Dad passed away (not really from cancer, but had it off/on for a few years). Now I am a recovering smoker. 3yrs, 4mo, 15 days.

Good luck!
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

the only attempt that i'd call "successful", i quit for three months straight.. and if i've ever been cranky, gawd, i'd snap at ANYTHING! NO fun..

and i'm really getting tired of smoking, just cant seem to live without it.. [:/]

so, since its available, why not go the medical way!?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

First time I "successfully" quit - (three years-) I used Zyban. Wellbutrin actually, (Same stuff, except my insurance would pay for one and not the other - ) Really killed the urge to smoke and when I did, the cigs tasted like shit. Quitting after taking it for two weeks was not a problem. I personally didn't suffer any serious side effects other than occasional "drowsiness" - the best way I can describe it.

I started smoking again - (Had just one for the hell of it one night, was back up to a pack a day in about six weeks)

Now - I have quit again about a month ago, went cold turkey. It takes alot of willpower, and I have had the urge to kill a few times but not that bad. But it is doable.

Illinois banned smoking in bars, which makes it easier when I'm out for beers.

I quit after smoking for 10 years, back in 2005.
Didn`t use any drugs. I was in the mood of quitting smokes anyway. Then, I got realy, realy, realy drunk one night. Totally wasted. Tomorrow morning I had, of course, a horrible hangover. Then I light up one cigarete. It tasted like shit, i got sick like I`m gonna throw up. I threw the cigarette away, and that was it. The hangover and sickness helped to go through the first day, after that it was easier by the day. I was eating a lot of lollipops these days, but i quit that too. Gained about 10 pounds in a first month when I quit.

Now after 4+ years, I suddenly started to feel the need to smoke again. :( Real bad. Maybe it is because the stress and all...

Oh and I know some people that use Zyban. Soem of them got really psycho-weird sometimes.

dudeist skydiver #42

might want to find a sitter for the dog until you know how you react. No shit, some people don't do well on that stuff and could kill another living thing.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

the drug's here for a month or so now..

i think i'll get along fine with it for the time being..

now, i'm kind of experienced with drugs that mess with your mind, for both recreational and medical reasons.. i stopped the one for the better of it, the other i quit since i didnt feel the need to it anymore..

so, that chantix-stuff should be a walk in the park for me now..
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I got zyban on prescription from the doctor but had to attend a support session with a nurse to see how i was doing and checking me with electronic ex-haler that told you how well your breath out put and how clean it was. i fell off the hobby horse a few times during my 2 month, was told if it did not to give up.

It worked fro me That was over 5 years ago i strill have no need for cigs anymore and other stuff like sitting with smokers or bgeing close or other times during the day have no effect i broke free and i have fuck all will power when it came to cigs.

May not work for everyone as everyone is differant get some medical advice and support as it does make the differance good luck:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

you know, my doc's an old man, when i've asked him, he said i wouldnt need a prescription; as i havent really informed myself, i already knew that you would need one for both. so i looked around myself.. so, medical advice is kinda out! :S

day three now with chantix, smoked considerably less the first two days (like from almost 40 down to 7 or so smokes), this is the first day i dont want to smoke at all. so far, i'm up to it!

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Hey, good luck with quitting. It may be difficult for a while, but it'll probably be well worth the effort. :)
It sounds like the Chantix is helping you to smoke less. Is it causing any noticeable side effects?

(I'm not a smoker anymore. I'm just curious about the pharmaceuticals. I try to stay away from them myself, but sometimes the benefit does outweigh the risk.)