Nataly

Never getting the flu jab again...

To echo what RhondaLea said, vaccines don't create superbugs. They work with your immune system to help you fight off a disease if you're exposed. We create superbugs by overusing antibiotics and antibacterials.

It all contributes to creating stronger, more resilient strains of diseases.. I studied some of this stuff at uni - scary, but *fascinating*. Trouble is that there is no "proof" in science.. Only "evidence" and "strong correlation".

Can you show me some evidence from a peer reviewed journal linking vaccines and the evolution of superbugs?

As for "vaccines don't even work" posts... I prefer to get my science from respected well educated scientists rather than crack pots on the internet posting graphs that don't mean anything.

Can you elaborate on why you think those graphs don't mean anything? Doesn't look to me like vaccines should take the credit.

Also could you clarify - those graphs were plotted with figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics and the Commonwealth Department of Health and Human Services - are those the "crackpots on the internet" Or are you referring to my 2nd post which quotes US health department figures? Or are they both crackpots :|

Nataly glad you're feeling better :)
but what do I know

To echo what RhondaLea said, vaccines don't create superbugs. They work with your immune system to help you fight off a disease if you're exposed. We create superbugs by overusing antibiotics and antibacterials.

It all contributes to creating stronger, more resilient strains of diseases.. I studied some of this stuff at uni - scary, but *fascinating*. Trouble is that there is no "proof" in science.. Only "evidence" and "strong correlation".

Can you show me some evidence from a peer reviewed journal linking vaccines and the evolution of superbugs?

Of course I can't show you some peer reviewed journals - one, you're quite far away.. Two, I haven't kept any of my university stuff.. But I did study the spread of diseases and vaccines did figure in there. Whether it was published in a peer-reviewed journal.. Who knows?! Not all good theories are published in peer-reviewed journals!! At some point all the cleverest scientists believed the earth was flat - doesn't mean it ever was!

I'm sure if you bothered to look you either would or wouldn't find stuff on it in a peer review publication.. Have fun because there's no way in hell I'm going to bother with that!! :P:D:D
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Can you elaborate on why you think those graphs don't mean anything? Doesn't look to me like vaccines should take the credit.

The way the graphs are used is typical of junk pseudo science. They show a small subset of data and jump to a conclusion they want to reach. Showing a line graph pointing down and surmising "well, diseases were on their way down anyway therefor vaccines did nothing" is not science.

Also, that assumes that data tells the whole story. The dude has an agenda. How do I know he didn't cherry pick the data? Maybe infection rates for polio, small pox, etc in other countries were going up before vaccines hit? Would he show those graphs? I doubt it.

I really find it laughable the ways in which people don't trust science. They drive in their cars, use their air condition, cook eggs on teflon pans, watch TV, chat for hours on their cell phones, type away on their computers on the internet.. all brought to us by men and women in white lab coats using this little thing called Science.

But vaccines? Oh man, the white lab coat dudes are idiots or are all bought and paid for by Big Pharma and they're putting poison in our bodies. Drink green tea instead, because that's what the Chinese did 2000 years ago and they knew more than we do today.

It's BS.

Clarification: are you sure that you're not inadvertantly confusing antibiotics (against bacteria) and vaccines? Maybe you're not.

I'm not sure how one proposes a causal mechanism for vaccines to do what you're suggesting, which act on your acquired immune system, as opposed to anti-biotics, which act on bacterial pathogens. Lots of people smarter than me out there, tho.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The way the graphs are used is typical of junk pseudo science. They show a small subset of data and jump to a conclusion they want to reach. Showing a line graph pointing down and surmising "well, diseases were on their way down anyway therefor vaccines did nothing" is not science.

Also, that assumes that data tells the whole story. The dude has an agenda. How do I know he didn't cherry pick the data? Maybe infection rates for polio, small pox, etc in other countries were going up before vaccines hit? Would he show those graphs? I doubt it.

I really find it laughable the ways in which people don't trust science. They drive in their cars, use their air condition, cook eggs on teflon pans, watch TV, chat for hours on their cell phones, type away on their computers on the internet.. all brought to us by men and women in white lab coats using this little thing called Science.

But vaccines? Oh man, the white lab coat dudes are idiots or are all bought and paid for by Big Pharma and they're putting poison in our bodies. Drink green tea instead, because that's what the Chinese did 2000 years ago and they knew more than we do today.

It's BS.

You are generalising and lumping anything that doesn't agree with your conditioned thinking into one big folder you've classed as wacko BS. This dude has an agenda - why yes, he does, he's trying to balance the counter arguements you choose to believe which are also promoted by people who have an agenda. Do you think anybody doesn't? I think you'll find those graphs echo what happened in other countries.

It's not that I don't trust science but I'd still count the ethyl mercury that vaccines contain as poison, no wonder rates of autism in children are rocketing.

And throw your Teflon pans away as soon as they're scratched as they're leeching poisons into your body.
but what do I know

It's not that I don't trust science but I'd still count the ethyl mercury that vaccines contain as poison, no wonder rates of autism in children are rocketing.

Yeah, and those autism rates dropped as soon as Thimerosal wasn't used in vaccines. Oh wait, no, they didn't.

http://autism.about.com/b/2009/01/26/new-study-shows-no-connection-between-thimerosal-in-vaccines-and-autism.htm

I guess the CDC and NIH and many many other scientists were correct when they tested and concluded that vaccines do not contribute to autism.

But hey, random people with blogs say different, so maybe them and the WHO don't know what they're talking about. Even Bill Maher says vaccines are bad and he has a TV show, so you know it's true.

You are generalising and lumping anything that doesn't agree with your conditioned thinking into one big folder you've classed as wacko BS.

Mr. Pot, I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Kettle.

:D
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I've heard that there is a correlation between flu vaccinations and Guillian Barre Syndrome. Anyone else ever heard of this?

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

It seems to be caused by your own body's immune system going batshit crazy. Since vaccines trigger an immune response, it's not unreasonable to think they could trigger it too.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/gbs.htm

I think the may reason they ask is if you've had GBS in the past you probably wouldn't want to chance it happening to you again because of a vaccine shot.