jumpwally

NW Pilots lost License.....

Maybe you should post what you are talking about

A couple of Airbus drivers overshot their destination, were not able to be raised by radio...FA finally woke 'em up banging on the cockpit door....

And yes, they should have their tickets pulled.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Maybe it's time the FAA took another look at allowing cockpit naps when inn cruise flight, by one crew member at a time, as a method of fighting pilot fatigue. They've studied it, and found it beneficial, but still won't allow it. I've heard pilots can spend up to 16 hours working an 8 hour shift.

Maybe it's time the FAA took another look at allowing cockpit naps when inn cruise flight, by one crew member at a time, as a method of fighting pilot fatigue. They've studied it, and found it beneficial, but still won't allow it. I've heard pilots can spend up to 16 hours working an 8 hour shift.

Bad Idea IMO...

It's a lot easier to nod off when the person next to ya is sawing logs...they should work to keep each other awake & alert.

You got a couple hundred SOB's behind ya...get enough sleep before going to work, drink lots of coffee.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/27/airliner.fly.by/index.html

The pilots are now saying that they were on their laptops looking at and discussing company policies. While being out of contact with ATC for 90 minutes. Amazing. And yeah, neither of these guys should ever fly with passengers again.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

The last I heard, they weren't sleeping . . . they were playing on their laptops. I think losing their licenses is reasonable, unless, of course, they were busy posting here in Bonfire or something excusable like that.

That may be the excuse thay gave...but they were sleeping. :S

The last I heard, they weren't sleeping . . . they were playing on their laptops.

That's their story, and they're sticking to it.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think they need a FAA controlled tazer installed in all pilot seats. If you do not respond when I talk to you on the radio the FAA controller can wake them up with the push of a button.
Problem solved.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

But on second thought, it would really suck if the a/c transmitter had failed.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Maybe you should post what you are talking about

Maybe you should keep up with the news, I'm on the other side of the pond and it's been splashed all over the news here.

Maybe I was trying to figure out which fucking incident he was talking about. I could give a shit about most of the news cause I know if anything important happens there will be an arguement about it here.

I'm not sure how the cockpit voice recorders work on the airliners. I know hte ones in corporare planes can be rest if nothing happens during a flight. I would think the airlines would not permit that. If they do and it was blank I would say that would answer their questions about what they were doing.

I doubt they lose their ticket permenantly but they might lose their jobs and have a hard time finding another airline gig.

The last I heard, they weren't sleeping . . . they were playing on their laptops. I think losing their licenses is reasonable, unless, of course, they were busy posting here in Bonfire or something excusable like that.

That's may be the excuse thay gave...but they were sleeping. :S

Well, neither of those excuses would really make me want to get in a seat on their plane. In the end, they just shouldn't be in the air. But at least if they actually WERE on their laptops, they might've been aware of emergencies they could've missed while getting in a good nap.
TPM Sister #102

I think they need a FAA controlled tazer installed in all pilot seats. If you do not respond when I talk to you on the radio the FAA controller can wake them up with the push of a button.
Problem solved.

I'll vote for that.B|

You'd be amazed how many times you have to call some days to get their attention. I love it when they answer the 3rd or 4th call and pretend they've heard nothing up until then. :P

But at least if they actually WERE on their laptops, they might've been aware of emergencies they could've missed while getting in a good nap.

If they were on their laptops, they would have heard ATC on the radio.
That is why that excuse is bullshit.

Bad Idea IMO...

It's a lot easier to nod off when the person next to ya is sawing logs...they should work to keep each other awake & alert.

You got a couple hundred SOB's behind ya...get enough sleep before going to work, drink lots of coffee.

Apparently, from an article I read a couple days ago, other countries have successfully experimented with allowing in-flight pilot catnaps on a strictly regulated basis.

But at least if they actually WERE on their laptops, they might've been aware of emergencies they could've missed while getting in a good nap.

If they were on their laptops, they would have heard ATC on the radio.
That is why that excuse is bullshit.

Most airlines have policies against being on laptops...reading books...playing tennis, cooking omelets etc. in the cockpit anyway.

Bad Idea IMO...

Apparently, from an article I read a couple days ago, other countries have successfully experimented with allowing in-flight pilot catnaps on a strictly regulated basis.

I don't know which countries, but I've flown Aeroflot and Alitalia...and if those pilots weren't asleep at the wheel, they sure fly like it! :S

I'm not sure how the cockpit voice recorders work on the airliners.

Disclaimer: not a pilot or airline employee. That said, I heard that they only record the last 30 minutes. Since these guys took longer than 30 minutes to return to their original destination once they woke up, any recording of what was going on during that 90 minute period is gone. Whether it can be recovered via forensic analysis I don't know.

No clue if it's true or not, just what I heard reported at one point.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
--Mario Andretti

Most airlines have policies against being on laptops...reading books...playing tennis, cooking omelets etc. in the cockpit anyway.

I'm thinking that whatever they were actually doing must have been pretty bad for them to use the laptop story, knowing it would probably get them canned. Maybe they are gay and were doing each other, and would rather stick to the laptop story.

The Cockpit Vioce Recorder (CVR) only records 30 min. in a loop before recording over previous material. It cannot be reset or turned off without showing signs of such. Once they realized that there was something on the tape that they didn't want, they may have flown a bit extra without responding in order to make sure that the tape of that time had run out before landing.

Kevin K.

I don't know the pilots involved but according to the press the Pilot in command had 20,000 flt hrs,& 25yr's with the company.

I think he he was at the top of the food chain at NW and now may have to look for s second career.

I've tried multi tasking on my couch:). TV, Lap top, listening to wife talking and chewing gum. Was able to go thru the motions but realy only able to do one thing well chewing gum and was still able to fall asleep at the key board.:$

Trivia: The Pilot in command lives less than 10 miles from us. [:/]

One Jump Wonder