shermanator

mods are so stupid

The stupidest thing I have ever seen is a car worth more than the trailer it's parked at. I have seen some doozies.... like a Corvette a few years old right outside a trailer that has seen better days. Some people are just so fucked up in their spending priorities.

Careful there, you're making judgments about other people. He can probably afford the Corvette because his housing is low-cost. If that's what he wants to do with his money, so be it. Just because you put priority on housing over a car, doesn't mean that people who do the reverse are stupid.

I wouldn't want someone saying that skydivers are stupid, because they spend thousands of dollars per year jumping out of airplanes, instead of driving a nice car, or owning a decent house. If you can only afford to do one of those three, and choose skydiving, so be it. To each his own.

Yup, thats just like me and many other jumpers who live in vans, tents, trailers, couches, treeforts or anyplace at all jst so we can afford to skydive. Some people will do the same for almost any hobby out there that requires a large amount of money.

Choose your priorites in life and do what make yuo happy!
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

you make a good point, but most people don't spend 200 for a mod, they spend thousands. I've seen people put more money into the car in mods than the car/truck was even worth.

I love those ads....$20,000 invested but I'll sell it today for $16,000...

Is that how investing is supposed to work?

I just don't get it, why do people spend so much money for mods to their cars, when they are living in a slum?

When you are poor, it's the only thing you got. I read a paper on the poor and their vehicles. Summary is: this is their version of "keeping up with the Jones's". it's a way to pretend you have wealth. Sad thing is, you can finance the paint job, rims, stereo, wing; but not the actual 80's automobile. Going on Base here in San Diego, you see a lot of Ghettomobiles tricked out and the vehicles are the cheapest found with easily thousands put into them. It's when they make that right-turn onto base when I get all schizophrenic. Leadership. . Please let your guys know that they look like douches and advise them on long term effects of this crap.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I worked at this restaurant in West Palm several years ago, one of the kitchen guys was bragging about his mid-80's Impala (i don't see the attraction) How he had 4K in wheels and tires and another 2-3K paint job, couple more in stereo equip etc.

I had to ask how he would ever get his $ out of it if it was stolen or crashed? His response.....I can't afford the gas and only drive on the weekends and I drive slow!

So you have a $500 car with 10K worth of shit on it that you don't drive?!?!?!

His response was "but it's a cool car" WTF?[:/]

LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I have a motorhead boyfriend who thinks that mod'g when you're broke just doesn't make sense. He mods when he can afford to and has found other ways to enjoy and express his passion for cars that do not involve going into debt.

It's great to have a hobby that inspires passion (like skydiving) and a sign of maturity when you can express that passion in ways that don't negatively affect other areas of your life.

Obviously I should have clarified my position a bit more. Yes, people have their own priorities as to how they spend their money. I was thinking of the rednecks and African Americans who will buy an expensive car and jazz it up, and not do anything to live in a well-kept home. It's the truth around here where I live.

But hey, if they want to blow their money in wads, that's their problem. My priorities are improving my house to help increase or maintain its value and stretching the lives of our vehicles as long as possible, well after they've been paid off.

I better stop now or this thread will end up in SC. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've never understood the oversized spoiler on the front wheel drive 4 banger.:S

Or 3k worth of spinners on a car that wouldn't sell for 2500 WITH the spinners . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun