skyrider

So , What Is The New Record?

They should have allowed the experienced wingsuiters to participate as they did those with NO wingsuit jumps.
:S
Would have been a nice number too!
>:(

I'll never understand the requirement of politics on big way events. :| More so with wingies it seems.

They should have allowed the experienced wingsuiters to participate as they did those with NO wingsuit jumps.
Would have been a nice number too!
>:(

I'll never understand the requirement of politics on big way events. :| More so with wingies it seems.

I'm confused, "Experience" suiters weren't allowed?[:/]

I'll never understand the requirement of politics on big way events.

Sounds like there were so many rules that people forgot skydiving with your friends is supposed to be fun! :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Apparently they worded the paperwork incorrectly and those that showed up on Saturday to register...were not accepted.
But some of those with no wingie jumps were allowed to join with their "coach".

Now those are the kinds of rules that make for great video!:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Apparently they worded the paperwork incorrectly and those that showed up on Saturday to register...were not accepted.
But some of those with no wingie jumps were allowed to join with their "coach".

Now those are the kinds of rules that make for great video!:D

Wing Zoo loads?:o might look like dog fights!

I don't know if there will be a record. AFAIK when I was in JFTC everyone that "made" the record had to remain alive for 24 hours after the event or it was void. Maybe they changed that rule, but I don't know.

I really hope this isn't the case, but it's possible.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I don't know if there will be a record. AFAIK when I was in JFTC everyone that "made" the record had to remain alive for 24 hours after the event or it was void. Maybe they changed that rule, but I don't know.

That would be a lousy rule and subject to abuse. If someone frapped in and got airlifted to a hospital and is brain-dead and kept alive on a machine, do they ask the family to keep the poor soul alive for 24 hours if a record was set? Extremely poor taste. IMO... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ackkkk.......... :o

Everything we add to our skydiving to make it more fun, seems to also make it more dangerous....All falls back on the old timers teaching the new, yet some things in our sport are so new, there are no Old timers yet!

>AFAIK when I was in JFTC everyone that "made" the record had to
>remain alive for 24 hours after the event or it was void.

That was the case the day after we got the 300 way. The rule had a good side effect that day - they decided to not put up the 320 way the next morning, which given the hungover state of many skydivers was a very good idea.

>AFAIK when I was in JFTC everyone that "made" the record had to
>remain alive for 24 hours after the event or it was void.

That was the case the day after we got the 300 way. The rule had a good side effect that day - they decided to not put up the 320 way the next morning, which given the hungover state of many skydivers was a very good idea.

Very good point, I only filmed the original 100 way base practice, at perris, (first 300 attempts) and on the final day, NONE of those people needed to be jumping the next day!:ph34r:

That would be a lousy rule and subject to abuse. If someone frapped in and got airlifted to a hospital and is brain-dead and kept alive on a machine, do they ask the family to keep the poor soul alive for 24 hours if a record was set? Extremely poor taste. IMO... ;)

That may be a FAI rule but it's not a USPA rule.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The registration FAQ made it abundantly clear that advance payment was required, as was endorsement from a captain. No provision was made for walk-ons.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>That would be a lousy rule and subject to abuse.

It was initially intended to help prevent "pushing the limits" to get a record. If you got a 500-way world record by delaying breakoff to 4000 feet, and two people went in as a result, you don't get the record.

The registration FAQ made it abundantly clear that advance payment was required, as was endorsement from a captain. No provision was made for walk-ons.

The registration letter is available for all, I posted a copy of part of it in the wingsuit forum.
I wasn't able to qualify during the summer (being in ICU and a rehab hospital for three months sorta keeps one from flying).
Everyone, including most of the captains knew I wouldn't be qualifying until the captains reached Elsinore. I didn't want to register until I'd been qualified because I didn't want to donate 150.00 of nonrefundable money to the "charity."
Here is the registration letter sent to every participant. What is "abundantly clear" is that:
A-funds are due on acceptance
B-Registration is open til 6 p.m. on Saturday, November 7. The bold is emphasized by the organizers, not me. (BOLD="abundantly clear" to most)

My flying skills were "accepted" at sunset on Friday, November 6 and both captains told me to register in the morning. Apparently they weren't aware of a change in registration policy either.

The head of the event said that the word 'registration' was a misfortunate use of the word." In other words, "we admit an error."

I wasn't a "walk-on." I was on the DZ two weeks before the event, the organizers saw me and spoke with me nearly each day of the four days they were here before the event.

Were the excuse one of "we don't think you're physically capable".... that would have been one thing. FWIW, I was/am capable and have been flying my wingsuit for the last two weeks in flocks and with students.
Folks here aren't stupid, read the registration letter and decide for yourself.

Frankly, none of it means anything further to me at this point. I lost a dear friend yesterday, and the record, much like last year, is empty. The FAI rules and the ridiculous grid system don't matter. Steve flew his heart out, had a huge smile and a handshake at the end of each jump, and I'd just as soon remember his presence and words only moments before his fateful exit.
Really...that's all that matters at this point. A good friend from our community is now gone. All the bullshit politics about registration, the grid, the poor organization/communication, safety issues...none of it matters anymore.
A good friend is gone.