matthewcline

WiFi

So I have a new WiFI set up in the house so all the kids (my daughter and her friends) can all use their mac's and dells etc etc for home work.

When they are all using a lap top (4 to 6) the system seems slow, which I can understand.

But in the evening when they are all gone the system seems to speed up for a while, then slow down again. Can I see who else maybe using my signal from my PC? or do I need to just keep changing the password every freaken day ?(then it speeds up for an hour or so)

Is there a better security software program for WiFi systems that can be added?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

>Can I see who else maybe using my signal from my PC?

Probably. If you have a wireless router (which is a good idea) then there will be an address that you can go to that will allow you access to the router controls, and there is usually a list available of all the wireless connections. Look in the manual; it's usually something like http://192.168.1.1.

If other people are using it, you can enable WEP; that will require a password and require other people to know it before connecting. If WEP is enabled already it is unlikely that other people are using it.

Using WEP for wireless security is a joke. It can be broken in under a couple minutes.

WPA or WPA2 is available on most wireless devices and is infinitely better choice.

And to add, you can also limit connection to your router to a list of MAC addresses that you specify.

I agree, i like to use mac code filtering and dont brodcast the ssid.

also, a lot of north american isp's throttle their internet, so it gets slow at peak hours, apparently this is to combat p2p sharing programs
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

mac filtering and not broadcasting the ssid also do very little for security.

Mac filtering is easily circumvented and any decent wifi scanner will detect access points that are not broadcasting their ssid.

That being said almost anything you do will keep your average neighbor of your network, but WPA2 is so simple to implement and highly effective that it doesn't make sense not to use it.
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

Also not broadcasting a SSID is a good idea, it is hard to hack something you can't easily find.

http://synjunkie.blogspot.com/2007/12/bypass-hidden-ssid-mac-address-filter.html

You can do whatever you think will make you safer... but I'm telling you without using a strong encryption (i.e. WPA or WPA2), I can access your network.

edit to add: And gain access in a ridiculously short amount of time. (under a minute without any encryption, add a minute for WEP encryption)

Also I already knew how to accomplish this, but did a simple google search and that was the first result. showing how easy it is for anyone to learn.

So the consensus is that the OP should use WPA2 encryption...

but that masking the SSID and MAC filtering are pointless...

Granted breaking through a masked SSID and MAC filter are generally considered to be simple enough... your average next door neighbor isn't likely to be able to do that sort of thing (especially if they don't have internet access to look up the information online... ;))

having said that... I have a few friends that insist on using WPA2 encryption with Randomly generated 64 character keys on their wireless network... now that's a secure WiFi connection...

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Correct.

64 characters is a bit overkill, but randomly generated is important. WPA can be broken and the strength of the key is an important part.

My point about masking SSID is that it is akin to throwing a sheet over your bicycle... and using MAC filters is like taking off the front wheel and laying it next to the bike. Both are minor issues when you have the option of putting the whole bike in steel box with a large lock.

Crap I gues I need to get a bit "more smarter" when it comes to this wireless set up.

I figured I was just seeing a lot of folks "strap hanging" on my wireless for free, as I thought the security was just not that good when compared to the speed at which the typical high schooler these days can hack in to some thing.

Well I guess I need to invest in better security. Where is my Skymall magazine at?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

First off, I totally agree with the WEP vs WPA... I can break a WEP key in no real amount of time, so dont even bother with it (yes, high schoolers can too)

MAC Address filtering: If the guy can crack WEP, its a SIMPLE command to change his MAC to whatever he wants. As a matter of fact, I have mine as 00:11:22:33:44:55

Im not sure the support for WPA2, I know some computers/wireless cards I have seen have an issue using it, so we had to revert to WEP, but thats the ONLY time I would suggest using it.

Configuring the router to use the security is too easy, even for an old timer, now, remembering the password to put on the computers, that part sucks! (Even writing it down usually sucks)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message