freethefly

Can this guy be the greatest guitarist ever?

I have seen some of the greatest who ever lived lived.

Sadly I missed seeing Jimmy Hendrix because I was too young at the time.

I do not consider Eric Clapton as a great guitarist, he has other talents that made him great.

Songwriting and stage presence are two of them.

Hugely under rated was George Harrison, he simply did his job.

What he's doing is really no big deal for any accomplished guitarist; it's just a series of hammer-ons, but with 2 fret-boards instead of one. Yes, it requires skill, but this guy is no genius by any means. I've seen him before. I think his style is mechanical, stilted and uninspired. Guthrie Govan could kick his ass.

I think his style is mechanical, stilted and uninspired.

I got that impression also.

For guitarists, my favorites are probably guided by my
personal taste in music.
Early Eric Clapton. The original version of Layla made you
feel what he was feeling. (I absolutely loathe that later version)
Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Lindsay Buckingham. (The lesser known member of
Fleetwood Mac. Self-taught)

Early Eric Clapton. The original version of Layla made you feel what he was feeling.

The signature lead riffs on that recording were played by Duane Allman, not Clapton. B|

The two played a counter-melody that is incredible.

"Who is bigger, Clapton or God?"

"I don't know."

"It was a trick question. Clapton is God."
B|

I've always like Dickie Betts and Duane Allman also.

I'm not a fan of technical virtuosity for its own sake. Some of the greatest riffs and recordings in history - the ones that really get under your skin - have been the simplest.

It's like the Mariah Carey effect. I'm vaguely impressed that she has a five-octave range, but I don't particularly want to hear her demonstrate it. All that show-off warbling. Just sing the damn tune, woman!

The best guitarist I've ever seen play is an older gentleman by the name of Jerry Menown, who, at one time, played for Patsy Cline. He still actively plays gigs, both county, and in his son's rock band. He plays with a 1968 (IIRC) Les Paul that he bought new.

I've not heard any of his rock, but he can cover (Mister Guitar) Chet Atkins' more complex stuff very well, which is no small feat, especially for a guitarist in his 70's. He also plays classical guitar impressively.

I would definitely put him in the same class as Atkins, Satriani, Rhoads, Clapton, Paul, etc. I wish I could have heard him play while he was in his prime. I can't say that he's the greatest ever (that would be a bold statement), but I've never heard anyone, live or studio, that is out of his class.

I've seen Jerry play 2-3 times in an intimate living room setting. Hopefully, while I'm at home in the frozen Midwest, I'll finally get to see him play with a band. It looks like he has one gig scheduled while I'm there.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Anyone ever hear of this guy... Eric Johnson?
I'll give him a vote.

It's 10 minutes long.....ff to 5 minutes and enjoy.
Dover

I remember Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover, but that's all I recall ever hearing from him.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I have seen some of the greatest who ever lived lived.

Sadly I missed seeing Jimmy Hendrix because I was too young at the time.

I do not consider Eric Clapton as a great guitarist, he has other talents that made him great.

Songwriting and stage presence are two of them.

Hugely under rated was George Harrison, he simply did his job.

Saw him twice in the Experience days and thought both shows were somewhat thin as compared to what he was selling on LPs back then. Sound systems weren't quite there at that stage to flesh out a three piece band in a 15,000 seat arena. More like your basic blues band with some feedback. The man could pick though.;)
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Ha! I just finished listening to Chester and Lester. B|

They were great!

I find a difference between the "greatest" and the "best." Without cats like Charlie Christian d'jango Reinhardt there'd be different things. I almost look at it "there was guitar before this person and guitar after this person." And I'm not just talking every swinging dick out there scalloping fretboards a la Ynwie (who was brilliant but not the greatest). I thought Steve Winwood was one of the best guitarists I'd ever seen. Walyer Trout the best I've seen. Neither are on my "greatest" list.

Les Paul - he not only changed guitar but changed music. Multitrack recording, anyone?

Clapton - brought black music to the white world. He was also the first guy to use amps that could make your ears bleed and move the mics away from the amps. (My personal opinion on the guy live? So technically proficient that I didn't enjoy it. Make.a mistake. Show some feeling.)

Page - same reasons as Les Paul.

Hendrix - nuff said.

Steve Howe - most underrated guy outside of guitar circles. He was (still is) incredible.

Duane Allman - think slide guitar and you think Duane. So sweet and pure.

Eddie Van Halen - changed everything.

Mark Knopfler - a fingerpicker whose skill and feel made him a popular success.

Satch - yup. Just look at his students.

Petrucci
Di Meola
Adrian Legg
George Benson

So many guys who changed their genres.

My wife is hotter than your wife.