hollypocket

Light weight baby?

I would.

I'm not a pediatrician, but I would take her to one. My daughter had 'failure to thrive' issues as an infant; not gaining weight, etc. They put her on pediasure for several months just to get her to gain anything.

I wouldn't totally freak out, but I would book that appointment.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

So I looked up a chart for 18month old babies average height and weight. My daughter falls in the right guidelines, but on the other hand, she's weighed 20lbs for the past 6 months. Should I be concerned?

My girl went through kind of the same thing. Her weight steadily rose then planed out for a while at that age. Our doctor said it shouldn't be a problem as kids go through growth spurts, and well, she hit one of those spurts eventually and is now 36 lbs at 3 yrs 8 mos, and is within the normal range, albeit a little on the light side. She simply does not eat all that much despite our efforts to encourage her to eat more.

But hey, it's better for a kid to be a little on the light side and active than sickeningly obese. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

As much as I hate internet advice:

- It is not always the absolute weight/height that can be important. You say at 18mos she is in the 50th% for both but has not grown in 6 months. I do not have growth charts in front of me as I do not do well child checks anymore, however, you also need to take into account growth velocity. - A child can be above or below the norm and still be completely healthy, however, if they start to fall off of the curve they had been following, then there may be cause for concern, especially if they cross two growth curves. The cause may be organic, behavioral, or normal for your child.

You should have a well child check coming up at 18 months. Discuss your concerns with your pediatrician. If found to be significant, they may review diet and other factors to determine a cause.

Best advice I can give you is: if you are concerned take her to the doctor don't ask us on the forums. This is not the place for that kind of advice. :)

it's the bonfire! It is exactly the place for this type of advice, and legal advice too!!!

Hollypocket, don't worry about it. She is already fat for her age, and probably not even sudsy do-able any more. The best thing to do is to starve her now, and help her to lose a few pounds.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Best advice I can give you is: if you are concerned take her to the doctor don't ask us on the forums. This is not the place for that kind of advice. :)

it's the bonfire! It is exactly the place for this type of advice, and legal advice too!!!

Hollypocket, don't worry about it. She is already fat for her age, and probably not even sudsy do-able any more. The best thing to do is to starve her now, and help her to lose a few pounds.

Thanks hubby, I know your daughter will thank you when she's 13 and self-conscious
\\>

Just to give you an idea...... My then 5 month old was 22lbs, at 13 months she was 20lbs, now she is 10 and is a whole 85lbs as of yesterday! Children grow at different rates. I would not be concerned so much to book an appointment right away but you should bring it up to her pediatrician at her well baby check up next time! Merry Christmas!