CSpenceFLY

Toyota recall for gas peddle getting stuck on the floor mats

actually my guess is that Toyota discovered a different problem when they were examining the "Floor mat" problem and because there is a potential problem they've suspended production and sales until they have a solution...

Suspending Sales and prodcution is the RIGHT thing to do even if it isn't the best thing to do from a sales and image perspective.

I would think that a software and/or hardware solution could solve the problem.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

that's true. I have seen that happen. It looks like the family will sue the dealership who loaned them the vehicle. Apparently the same car was loaned to another customer while their vehicle was being repaired and the same thing happened to them. The people even told the dealership the problem. But they still lent the same car out.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

And for those joining the game late, if you encounter a stuck accelerator in any vehicle, do the following:

-- Apply the brakes, hard, both feet. There isn't a modern brake system made today that can be overpowered by a vehicle's engine.

-- Take the car out of gear.

-- Turn the car off. If you have a push-button ignition, try holding it down for three to five seconds (understanding that you may be counting fast if under stress).

;)

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And for those joining the game late, if you encounter a stuck accelerator in any vehicle, do the following:

-- Apply the brakes, hard, both feet. There isn't a modern brake system made today that can be overpowered by a vehicle's engine.

-- Turn the car off. If you have a push-button ignition, try holding it down for three to five seconds (understanding that you may be counting fast if under stress).

;)

AND keep the wheel as straight as SAFELY possible, its those abrupt turns while power and weight distro are improper that cause rollovers.

Not to mention tires being inflated wrong, and such.

(Yes, I just went thru ANOTHER driving school, tore the FUCK out of that charger and 300!)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My wife drives a '09 Highlander.[:/] I will be calling the dealership and Toyota tomorrow to see what they plan to do. I hope they have a very quick fix for this. If not they may be getting a Highlander back!:|

What would you do if your wife and 3 kids drove around in this every day? Toyota may endup seeing the asshole in me!>:(

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

What would you do if your wife and 3 kids drove around in this every day? Toyota may endup seeing the asshole in me!>:(

Exactly why Im not that interested in ever buying a brand new vehicle... By the time I get my trucks, usually they've found everything wrong with the design and put out a TSB to fix it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

There is a lot more to the Toyota story. It has gotten a wide amount of publicity. The floor mats are not the problem. It is something else (maybe in the electronics that control the accelerator) and Toyota is using the floor mats to divert attention.

Your wrong, this is nothing more than a floor mat size / shape / retension issue

The APM is not an issue ...

You sure about that?;)??????

Southlake police on Jan. 6 announced that floor mats could not have caused the Dec. 26 wreck there because the mats were found inside the Avalon's trunk, not on the floorboards.

http://www.star-telegram.com/local/story/1926373.html

Sorry to all you Toyota lovers. The simple truth is that for a lot less money, American built cars are just as good as the rest. Or, maybe I should say, just as bad??

And my wife traded in here Navigator for this stupid Highlander:S>:(WTF???? "Its to Big":S

Exactly why Im not that interested in ever buying a brand new vehicle... By the time I get my trucks, usually they've found everything wrong with the design and put out a TSB to fix it.

Funny you should say that....:S My '06 F250 with the 6.0L has had a few issues..... I even waited a few year for the bugs to be worked out..... didn't wait long enough. Wish I had the 6.4L.[:/]

Funny you should say that....:S My '06 F250 with the 6.0L has had a few issues..... I even waited a few year for the bugs to be worked out..... didn't wait long enough. Wish I had the 6.4L.[:/]

Well, there's your problem! :D:D

Shut up jackass! I have 4 other Fords with no problems!:P

Shut up jackass! I have 4 other Fords with no problems!:P

So only 20% of them suck?

I think thats a little low, but ok, Ill take that number.:D:D:D

;)

I was going to cut holes in my floorboards and go with the "fred flintstone" option should my cruise control go on the fritz, but yours seems to require less cutting. :P

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I have had it happen to me and Gwains advice is sound, just stand on the brakes and the car will stop.
There is more 'stop' in the brakes than 'go' in the motor.
Do not use the park brake, unless you want run the risk of swopping ends and going into the tree backwards instead of forwards:P

Additional things that can help the situation is using the gears.
Some people suggested changing down a gear...don't ..change up to your highest gear ....this way the torque of the motor is muzzled to a large degree and the brakes have a much better time of it....this applies to manual cars.

Auto boxes will tend to change down as this is how they are designed so pop the car into neutral and close your ears to the sound of the engine bouncing against the rev limiter.

Or just switch the damn thing off:)

I have had it happen to me and Gwains advice is sound, just stand on the brakes and the car will stop.
There is more 'stop' in the brakes than 'go' in the motor.
Do not use the park brake, unless you want run the risk of swopping ends and going into the tree backwards instead of forwards:P

Additional things that can help the situation is using the gears.
Some people suggested changing down a gear...don't ..change up to your highest gear ....this way the torque of the motor is muzzled to a large degree and the brakes have a much better time of it....this applies to manual cars.

Auto boxes will tend to change down as this is how they are designed so pop the car into neutral and close your ears to the sound of the engine bouncing against the rev limiter.

Or just switch the damn thing off:)

In a manual car DON'T CHANGE GEAR Press the CLUTCH it disengages the motor, the motor revs but who gives a shit. CLUTCH IN BRAKES ON where's the problem in that.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

:D
If you drive the shit that I sometimes do I will see 4 holes appear in the bonnet as the pistons make a bid for freedom.:P

It would have to be flat to the boards:ph34r::ph34r: I mean seriously though that person that had timer to call 911 and chastise her kids before crashing should not be allowed to drive.
in fact anyone who could not stop their car in that situation should hand in their licence :S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I heard on NPR this morning that the accelerators that are failing are the ones made in the US; Toyota also uses a Japanese vendor whose accelerators haven't had a problem. Those with Toyotas should be able to check this at the dealer.

I had it happen to me many moons ago (due to a poorly-conceived jerry-rig fix to my accelerator cable at the DZ one Saturday :$).

Clutch in (or slide the shifter into neutral) and the go quits going; it's only annoying. Foot or feet on the brakes to make it stop, and don't turn off the engine until you're done steering.

Because with some cars, turning off the engine makes steering either harder or impossible. And who needs yet another unpredictable thing going on when you're already dealing with one. Yeah, the engine noise is annoying and concerning. But a whole lot less so than having the power steering go out.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I heard on NPR this morning that the accelerators that are failing are the ones made in the US; Toyota also uses a Japanese vendor whose accelerators haven't had a problem. Those with Toyotas should be able to check this at the dealer.

I had it happen to me many moons ago (due to a poorly-conceived jerry-rig fix to my accelerator cable at the DZ one Saturday :$).

Clutch in (or slide the shifter into neutral) and the go quits going; it's only annoying. Foot or feet on the brakes to make it stop, and don't turn off the engine until you're done steering.

Because with some cars, turning off the engine makes steering either harder or impossible. And who needs yet another unpredictable thing going on when you're already dealing with one. Yeah, the engine noise is annoying and concerning. But a whole lot less so than having the power steering go out.

Wendy P.

Exactly:):ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Funny you should say that....:S My '06 F250 with the 6.0L has had a few issues..... I even waited a few year for the bugs to be worked out..... didn't wait long enough. Wish I had the 7.3L.[:/]

There I fixed it for you.

Funny you should say that....:S My '06 F250 with the 6.0L has had a few issues..... I even waited a few year for the bugs to be worked out..... didn't wait long enough. Wish I had the 7.3L.[:/]

Also true. One of my other trucks has the 7.3L and I haven't had any problems with it.

Also true. One of my other trucks has the 7.3L and I haven't had any problems with it YET

Fixed it for ya!