CSpenceFLY

Plane crash in Palo Alto,Ca

I have a friend who said that power is out for most of Palo Alto because the plane took out some power lines, but that's all I've heard so far.

Yeah... part of our team is in PaloAlto... and they and the datacenter are on backup generators.

Our director sent an email telling everyone to just work from home down there.

So what I have heard is this: A Cessna 310 took off from Palo Alto airport, in fog. They struck a power line support, taking out 3 high tension wires (this is why lots of the city is without power, including Stanford and Stanford hospital) the airplane then broke up (lost a wing I believe) and crashed into the back of a house, which had 3 people in it, although they all got out safely through the front of the house.
It appears that some or all of the 3 people killed were employees of Tesla Motors, which is sad news. My dad is friends with a guy who works there, and I have toured their factory before, they are a good outfit.

Sad day

Does any one else think it's ironic that Tesla employees took out the power grid?

The tinfoil-hat folks on the internet are already calling this crash a covert act by big-oil!

Incredible huh?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That is the tow plane vs cirrus accident in CO, nothing to do with the one in Palo Alto....

Yes, I know, just saw the link and thought I'd post it here----
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

Ummm...Why?

Ok guys, sorry, my bad.............. I am an NTSB accident report regular reader and just thought I'd post the link. I know the difference between a Cirrus, C- 310 and a glider. I even know the difference between California and Colorado, believe it or not........ just thought I'd post the link if anyone cared to read it. Didn't expect the third degree..........
"If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall;
Good times and riches and sons of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall!"

Yeah, we were without power all day today at my place in Palo Alto - from 7:45am until about 6pm. It's a sad accident, although I have to question the judgment of the pilot (I'm a private pilot and instrument rated and own an airplane based at the Palo Alto airport). The weather at the time of the accident was extremely foggy - 1/4 mile visibility with a ceiling that was indefinite/100ft (depending on the report). We NEVER have fog like that that doesn't burn off, so he would have been wise to wait a couple of hours for the blue sky and 65 degree day we had or at least until the ceiling lifted a bit.

However, he was IFR and legal to file and fly from all reports (there are no departure weather minimums for Part 91 operations). Doesn't mean it was a good idea, though. Strangely, he ended up crashing into the neighborhood off to the left of the departure end of 31. Every instrument clearance I've received from PAO had an immediate climbing right turn out over the Bay which is away from obstacles and terrain.

My assumption is that he lost one or both engines and then clipped the power line while trying to deal with the problem while IMC - failing to maintain altitude or heading. Lots of coulda/woulda/shouldas: Should have not launched in the first place. Could have landed straight ahead or to the right in the open marshland or Bay with a much higher likelihood of a survivable landing. Should not have turned toward the populated area if he was going to try and come around for landing (you can just as easily make right traffic over the Bay for 31). Should have kept flying his IFR clearance. Maybe just had horrendous luck and had an engine failure at the exact wrong time on a low IMC day.

I suspect answers may be forthcoming from the NTSB, but that will take a year to bubble up.

A sad day, indeed.

--Q
-----
Chris "Q" Quaintance
ccqquaintance.com
D-23345

I have a friend who said that power is out for most of Palo Alto because the plane took out some power lines, but that's all I've heard so far.

Kdub, Did you kid nap one of the Aussie's from Neds Biekr bar? RED hasn't been seen in 2 weeks!

Nope, the only Aussie's I've seen have been on the Olympics. :ph34r:
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406