tkhayes

Audio/Video Geeks - Ideas for the new Sunset Bar

I am a tech geek, but have lost touch with a lot of the new technology.

So looking for ideas to set up our new Sunset Bar at Z-Hills with some TV's computers, wireless, video server, etc. Surely someone out there knows how to design this stuff.

I envision:
- 4 or 5 large screen TV's and a projector system to a big screen
- A video/media server (probably RAID for redundancy) to store lots and lots of videos on (Windows Media Center or other?)
- Wireless connectivity so that certain skydivers/videographers can be given access to upload their videos to the server
- controls and switching to allow different things on different screens, not only from the server, but other video sources, like DVDs, or online stuff

It needs to be fairly simple to use, not a technical degree in special effects.

And hopefully I do not have to spend $10,000 to make it happen.

Any ideas? Can someone sketch something out?

TK
Z-Hills

Good luck on the 10k price point! I'm not a tech geek, but have been involved in a few media room installations. A good projector and lens can run $8,000. If you do an integrated system with touch screen for simple operation you're also pushing the cash cow along fairly fast!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

we already have a projection system, not a hugely commercial one, but a good one nonetheless. We have high speed internet and access to some more, and wireless technology in place.

computers, wireless, TV's are all the easy part. How do I put it all together and make it work is the question.

I am a tech geek, but have lost touch with a lot of the new technology.

So looking for ideas to set up our new Sunset Bar at Z-Hills with some TV's computers, wireless, video server, etc. Surely someone out there knows how to design this stuff.

I envision:
- 4 or 5 large screen TV's and a projector system to a big screen $$$ for the screens

- A video/media server (probably RAID for redundancy) to store lots and lots of videos on (Windows Media Center or other?) NAS server(Network Attached Storage) http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=124&Tpk=NAS

Or a simple computer to act as a server

- Wireless connectivity so that certain skydivers/videographers can be given access to upload their videos to the server

I'm assuming you already have a network setup? If so all you need is a WAP (wireless access point) http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=335&name=Wireless-AP-Bridges

Set up security and only give the key to people you want logging in

- controls and switching to allow different things on different screens, not only from the server, but other video sources, like DVDs, or online stuff

here's where it gets difficult... I'll have to think about it some more

It needs to be fairly simple to use, not a technical degree in special effects.

And hopefully I do not have to spend $10,000 to make it happen.

Any ideas? Can someone sketch something out?

TK
Z-Hills

"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

You should print out this post, and hang it up at the DZ. There has got to be at least three local jumpers who can help out with all or part of what you're asking.

There's a good chance one of them can get you hard goods at a discount, and 100% chance that they'll all be willing to work for jumps. In truth, they would probably do it for free, but give them some jumps anyway.

On every meduim to large DZ, there's a jumper somewhere who can help you out with anything you need to get done. Legal, illegal, right or wrong, things can get taken care of.

Good luck on the 10k price point! I'm not a tech geek, but have been involved in a few media room installations. A good projector and lens can run $8,000. If you do an integrated system with touch screen for simple operation you're also pushing the cash cow along fairly fast!

Not necessarily.

I picked up an old touch-screen workstation from e-bay for less than $100, that uses a virtual server to get round the onboard OS. The resolution isn't great, but when it's simply used as an interface for picking media held on the server, that's not a problem.

Storage is cheap, and a second hand machine to run it all shouldn't be that expensive; I'd put a video card in that allows you to output component video then use a component splitter box to output to multiple displays - those can get a little pricey depending on the number of inputs & outputs, and the quality, but a cheapo one can be had for a few hundred dollars.

The expensive part of the system will be the displays. The time consuming part will be setting it up, calibrating it and making it all work smoothly so that inebriated skydivers can't break it.

I'd steer away from a projector - for the cost of a decent one, you can pick up at least 2 good TVs, and there's less maintenance associated with them.

If you go secondhand for everything, and use a bit of knowledge that's kicking around your dz, I don't think it'll be an outrageous cost.

I'd put all the monitors up out of skydivers' reach, and put at least one up on the ceiling or roof structure facing down for those of us too drunk to stand or sit. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So from what i am reading, most TV switches appear to use RGB plus audio cables.

We will have 5-7 televisions, all flat screen LCD. Want to switch the signals from various sources to various TV's.

As I said most switches that I have found use RGB plus Audio. That means running FIVE coax cables for each TV. Am I right?

And then do you use RG-6 or RG-59? Most seem to say RG-6 is better for signal loss. The runs will be about 60-70' at worst case.

HDMI cables appear to only travel 10-20' at best and are very expensive, plus there appear to be no switches for them.

THe computer network part is pretty straightforward. Wireless Network, RAID storage a nice Windows 7 or Mac machine should do the media part.

Have TV antenna, Digital converter box, computer, DVD/VCR setups and a couple switches to manage the signals to different sets.

Anything else I am missing?

This first link is for a company that makes video distribution equipment.
http://www.gefen.com/

This second is the same company but a specific product for video switching.
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=6021

This next link is for a good Mini-59 bundle to carry component video w/ audio.
http://www.tributariescable.com/products/custom/tribmini.cfm

If you are interested and need a retailer to purchase any of these products, let me know. Watch for a PM.

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

couple of questions:

1) Is there a requirement to bring audio to the displays along with the video. I'd assume as it's in a bar, there'll be general music in the background so the footage will be silent, but thought I'd check.

2) to clarify - are you wanting the ability to run multiple videos on a single media server simultaneously, while outputting each video to a different monitor?

3) Along with the above, you also want to be able to plug external video sources (DVD players / cameras etc) into the system? - presumably somewhere accessible in the bar, rather than tucked away with all the switching / server equipment?

By far the most expensive component of the system will be the video switching gear I suspect. For something that does all of the above, I'd think you're looking at professional quality equipment, rather than a homebuilt solution.

** Warning Canadian Speaking... so my pricing will be a little off **

I am a co-owner of a company that specializes in Residential and Commercial A/V designs and installs. The budget that you have set is going to be tight, but still possibly doable.
First, what size of LCD screens do you want? As the size with dictate your budget price. Second, you have mentioned you want to add a projector, there for you'll need a screen to go with that. A midrange projector can run anywhere from $2500-$5000 CDN. Then a decent size screen such as 106" will run about $1300US. So your budget is almost gone with the 5 LCD screens.

As far as HDMI cables, there are expensive. Yet, there are other options out there that work awesome. I prefer using CAT5e wiring since it is much cheaper than HDMI, plus nicer to work with. I can send 1080i signal through the CAT5e wiring to the TVs. On both ends I use a HDMI plates, so the end user just needs a short 3ft HDMI to plug into the TV from the wall plate. ( www.muxlab.com )

There are a few options when it comes to video switching. I prefer using Russsound, since this company is solid. It is possible to have up to 12 different inputs (Sat/Cbl, BD/DVD, Computer, ipod, etc) directed to several different TVs or all the TVs to one source. ( www.russound.com)
Another company I have recently become a dealer for, with much success is Zektor (www.zektor.com) The down side to the Zektor Prowler unit is that it is an 8 zone system. Which is great for residential but a little limited for the commercial end. This unit is a time saver as it does everything over a single CAT5e line! Saving both time and money installing. This unit will set you back about $3500US.

A video server is easy to build and any computer shop will be able to build one for you. However, I believe the server should be NO smaller than 2TB.

The other notion to look into is, where you're going to place all the hardware. I suggest placing everything into a media cabinet, which is air cooled and rack mounted. This makes it easier to look after, as well as protects your investment from theft, as this cabinet should be locked at all times.

Lastly, one needs to think of the TV mounts. If you thinking of wall mounts, than Bestbuy will have them in stock, for about $125US (i think). Yet, if you want ceiling mounts, hanging from an I beam, than the mounts are a bit more expensive. Another company I've been using with much success is CLO Mounts. ( www.systems.com) These mounts are wonderful for a bar, as the mounts motorized, useful in fighting afternoon glare!

Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

** Warning Canadian Speaking... so my pricing will be a little off **
. A midrange projector can run anywhere from $2500-$5000 CDN. Then a decent size screen such as 106" will run about $1300US

Or, you can handbuild a screen for less than $150 that will perform almost as well as a commercial one.... ;)

Again, I don't think a projector is the right tool for the job in this case, but if you do go down that route, you don't need an expensive setup. There are many options, and you need you to define your exact requirements and the environment in which it'll be operating for people to suggest appropriate solutions

Remember, in all liklihood, you'll be running videos that are rendered down to a resolution that keeps them a reasonable sort of size and you're doing this in a bar - you're not building a home cinema setup for hi-def films.