FlyingJ

Jeep - electronics go haywire after unlocking w/ remote

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 4wd w/ the 5.2L v8.

When I use the remote to unlock the doors all of the memory settings go nuts. I know that the #1 and #2 remotes correspond to the #1 and #2 memory settings in the vehicle. Both #1 and #2 are set the same. When I click the unlock button (on #2 remote, I don't have #1) the side view mirrors go nuts, like having a seizure and usually end up pointed in some random direction. The direction is left pointing is not always the same. Sometimes the electric seat moves itself forward/backward, etc. There is no regular result of pushing the button other than something always happens.

I quit using the remote for years because of this and only recently put a new battery in it and tried again. It did it in 2006 and it's still doing it now. In the meantime I replaced the Jeep's computer (for unrelated reasons) with no change in what happens.

It's not the end of the world, but it is horribly annoying. Any thoughts?
Killing threads since 2004.

I too own a Jeep, but thankfully haven't ever had this particular problem... only the pissing a bit of oil and the 55mph shimmy Jeeps get to let you know when your tires are out of balance... :S Anyway, I have no idea where the "receiver" for the remote is burried in a Jeep, but maybe there's where the problem is? Just a WAG on my part.

There is a Jeep Forum out there some where in the cyber verse similar to dropzone.com where folks just talk about their Jeeps. May be worth trying to find and join to see if anyone there has some thoughts.

Thanks man. I did post on the Jeep forum once and just ended up with a bunch of people in a pissing match about which of two options that had nothing to do with my problem would be a better fix for me. Kinda like asking which canopy to get on here and having your thread turn into an argument over AAD vs. no AAD.

I haven't done much digging yet. I have the day off and will get the manual out, but I thought I'd throw a post out there quick tonight just in case anyone has run into the same problem.

Sorry. Hope you figure it out. Trouble shooting electronics can be a real bitch. Who knows, its probably a bad crimp or nicked wire in a wire harness some where. Good luck.

I wish Jeep hadn't discontinued their Cherokee Sport model. The one I have now is a 2000 and its the second one I've owned. Love it. If they still made that model, I'd go buy a new one today.

I wonder if Gremlins were gnawing on the drive shaft I've about to replace too!

I love my Jeep, everything except the gas mileage anyway. I would give anything for an inline 6 over the 5.2 now, but I really needed the v8 back when I bought it and was towing my camper. I have thought time and again about trading it in, but I can't even come close to what I have in the Jeep (all leather, all electronic, sun roof, 4wd, etc.) without dropping a huge chunk of money or just getting something the same age as my Jeep.

Hmmm...severe damage to part of it. Don't know the correct part name off hand, but coupler of some sort up front went bad. Replacing w/ aftermarket but aftermarket front not compatible w/ stock rear, so replacing both. Normally try to find a used part for something like this but have 2 days off out of 15 and drive 50 miles back and forth to 2nd job. Couldn't afford the time to wait and look for the part so I'm going with a new part. At the moment it's disengaged up front for me to get around while waiting for the part. All in all it blows, but I just paid the stupid thing off so it will be around for as long as the money I put into it is still far less than I'd be paying per year on a car note.

Love my Grand Cherokee. Gas is still the cheapest thing you can buy.

Anyway... I'm not a Jeep expert, but, It might be the Body control module. It's a seperate computer that controls interior functions. Could be a loose module connector or just condesation in the plug or something simple like that. Just a thought....

Troubleshooting electrical problems like this is best left for the really good mechanics, not DZ.comers like us??? ;) Good luck though.

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

you might want to check into the relay switches in the fuse box in the engine. I have a 98 cherokee sport and had all kinds of electrical tweeks going on. Needless to say after a few hundred bucks it ended up being a 12 dollar switch. Good luck!

My 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee would do this same thing every now and then.

Wonky mirrors and the driver's seat would go all the way forward.

I recently had a remote starter installed in it and since I've switched to the remote on that, I haven't had a problem.

I know ... no help whatsoever but since I've had the same problem, at least you're not crazy! :D:D:D

'Shell

In searching online I've found accounts of 6 Cherokees 96-98, 5.2-5.9L that have an identical problem. It has something to do with the remote. I can hit the memory 2 button inside and it's fine. I hit the unlock on remote 2 and it's all nuts. I just quit using it 4 yrs ago. About to toss it in a drawer again.

Hi Zig,

If they still made that model, I'd go buy a new one today.

While that one may no longer be available, it looks as if Chrysler themselves may no longer be available.

I was reading in the paper last week that their sales are off ~38% from last year, and last year was a poor year for them.

I doubt that they can survive.

JerryBaumchen

I can't believe it. I posted this message last night, didn't do a damn thing and now the problem stopped happening today. We'll see if it is just a fluke or if it actually quit doing it. I literally had not even seen the vehicle between when I posted last night and the first time I went out this morning. It's freakin insane.

:D:D:D:D

Covered in mud from a run on Sat., was up to the rockers in mud and just kept powering through it

We have a 50 Jeep run at our off-road park coming up this weekend...hope to get some rock crawling in

Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)