boinky

AARP

Are you over 50? Are you a member? What's so great about it? Are the perks worth the cost? Inquiring minds want to know.....;)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I think one of my "friends" put me on the AARP mailing list when I turned 30. I've been receiving crap in the mail asking me to join them on an all too regular basis ever since. Fuck the AARP.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've been getting a lot of the e-mails lately too. I still have 5 years before I qualify!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've been getting a lot of the e-mails lately too. I still have 5 years before I qualify!

that is abotu when they start, I think their mailing list is directly from SS!

I started getting them when I turned 30? :S
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

But you looked 45!:ph34r:

But you looked 45!:ph34r:

>:( ya so...... damnit u might be right :D:D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I won't join because they take political stands on subjects that I don't agree with and that have nothing to do with people over 50.

I don't get solicitations for membership because I have contacted them and asked them to take me out of their database.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Thanks. But anyone can read the propoganda on line. [:/]

I wanted to know what REAL people thought about it.

O-ooo-kay.
Mostly discounts on stuff like insurance, car rentals, hotels, etc.
We have AARP and AAA. Frankly my wife wanted the AARP; I didn't really care. For stuff like hotels & rentals, AAA and AARP discounts are pretty much the same. A few places let you double-dip; most don't.
We didn't check out home or auto insurance thru AARP. so I can't comment on it from personal experience.
I did check out health insurance, and it seemed to offer no appreciable discount that I could see.

Here's a blog thread with comments from what purports to be "real people". Looks like about 2/3 of the comments are neutral-to-negative, and about 1/3 are positive. I suggest reading thru the whole thread.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89030

I joined and when it was time to renew, I dropped it. They send lots of junk mail with all kinds of offers that I didn’t need. They have a crumby boring magazine with all sorts of information that most people already know. I found no offers better than what I already have. It was a big zero for me and I can’t recommend joining AARP.

The S.O. won't be 50 for another 5 years, so I don't know that any of that would help him and he currently takes care of the car and rental insurance.

I don't travel and stay in hotels much but when I do, I normally get my rates from Expedia or the like

I currently have NO health or life insurance at all and was looking at some options for myself, outside of just finding a company out of the blue and buying it from them.

But it looks like a good bit of the people don't like what they get through AARP, so I might just pass on this particular avenue.

Thank you for your honest thoughts and suggestions! :)

Nina

Landmark Dodge gave me a huge discount on a new SRT-8 Super Bee through AARP. So, yeah, I'd recommend them if you are in the market for a new car. There are a few things in their newsletter each month that are kinda' interesting but the only thing I've ever used them for was the car discount.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I currently have NO health or life insurance at all

Ah - an American. Say no more.
Anyhow, the US saves the world from anarchism, er, communism, er, terrorism and radical Islam - so it's worth the sacrifice. (Especially to the rest of the world!) And that's some comfort, right?

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that that was not a compliment. But we are not going to have this sent to SC! >:(

Nina

:P Sorry, I couldn't resist the lead-in; and anyway it wasn't directed at you, just at some of my other fellow Americans with whom I disagree over... well, priorities. But yeh, let's keep this in Bonfire. And I should get back to bed.