airdvr

Any tree experts?

Having a problem with a dogwood. Noticed last fall that there is a black substance caked on alot of the branches. Almost the same as consistency as a wasp nest but much darker. Tree is not looking very healthy right now.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Trust my first post on dz for about 4 years to be about trees... someday I might actually do some skydiving.

Sounds like Anthracnose fungal infection; any probs with the leaves also? I'm presuming you're in North America?

This from TreeHelp.com
http://www.treehelp.com/trees/dogwood/dogwood-disease-dogwood-anthracnose.asp

"Dogwood anthracnose is generally first identified by light brown spots on leaves. These spots then grow into large splotches occasionally bordered by purple. From the leaves, the disease then moves to the twigs and then, finally, to the main limbs and the trunk which can develop large cankers. It is these cankers which kill the tree. The time between initial infection and death is relatively short, often between two and three years for large trees. "

If by "a complete pruning" you mean "digging it out and buying another from a nursery who've treated their saplings with suitable anti-fungal agent", then yes, you're on the right track :) I hope it doesn't have any sentimental value, because I think it's a gonner :( Best of luck!

Having a problem with a dogwood. Noticed last fall that there is a black substance caked on alot of the branches. Almost the same as consistency as a wasp nest but much darker. Tree is not looking very healthy right now.

Contact This guy. I think he can help.
My photos

My Videos

If by "a complete pruning" you mean "digging it out and buying another from a nursery who've treated their saplings with suitable anti-fungal agent", then yes, you're on the right track :) I hope it doesn't have any sentimental value, because I think it's a gonner :( Best of luck!

I've always found that if you're not sure about the healthof a tree
driving a large copper spike into it some where around the base
of the tree settles the matter once and for all.

or the old Sodium clorate trick, if it survives that, it's healthy.

Gone fishing