jacketsdb23

Picked Up Dog From Breeder...sick w/in 24 hours

So sorry for you, but I gotta say it, that's Karma for not getting a rescue pup. :(

Wow, thats pretty harsh. Just to throw it out there not everyone wants or is prepared to take care of a rescue dog. We hear a lot of good rescue stories but trust me there are a lot of bad ones too. It's not fair to judge someone because they made an educated decision that is different from your own.

While ntrprnr certainly should have worded his reply with a little more... finesse, I myself don't see why anyone would spend hundreds or thousands on a purebred, deal with potential genetic issues due to irresponsible breeding, add a few hundred for spay/neuter/shots later, plus the exact same behavior issues if you don't deal with them early on.
Lab/Golden puppies are very high energy and a handfull. The shelter I used to volunteer about half of the dogs were lab mixes with an occasional purebred. There is a reason for that.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

I've got a rescue Mutt, and a Pure Breed Rottwieller, (I'll be damned if I get him fixed) he has the perfect tepermany, and I plan to breed him, not for money, but for an Hier to his throne!

I have dozens of friends already telling me they want his pups!

Rescue is the Human way to go, but like he siad,m sometimes you are loking for something different...

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think everyone has to make the same decisions and certainly one is not better than the other. In this case had we not picked up this puppy it would likely be dead. Now, it has cost us thousands. Worth it? I don't know. What value do you put on a pet? Especially one you've known for less than 24 hours? What responsibility do you have when you decide you want a pet? Do you care for it only when it benefits you? Do you say, well this will cost me money, I'm not doing it - and let the dog die? I believe there are responsibilities associcated with being a pet owner, whether you've picked it up at a rescue facility or went to a breeder. Each has a pro and a con. We made a decision and are dealing with the consequences. My new car will have to wait.

Its hard to say - well here is a sick dog we'll bring it back to the breeder where it can die when everyone is telling you with 3 - 5 days in the hospital it will likely make a 100% recovery, especially since we spotted this early enough that the dog had not even started diarrhea yet. Parvo is nasty - but we are giving this dog a chance. 10 years down the road will it be worth it? Probably every penny if the dog makes it. who knows.

I'd rather have the 3 grand in the bank. But sometimes shit happens.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

So sorry for you, but I gotta say it, that's Karma for not getting a rescue pup. :(

Wow. Pretty harsh.

Parvo can attack ANY dog, purebred or otherwise.

And like Marcel said, had he NOT taken the puppy home and then to the vet, it could very well have died. So he did rescue it.

Marcel, I hope your little one makes it through this!
'Shell

Wow, thats pretty harsh. Just to throw it out there not everyone wants or is prepared to take care of a rescue dog. We hear a lot of good rescue stories but trust me there are a lot of bad ones too. It's not fair to judge someone because they made an educated decision that is different from your own.

You're right. That was harsh, and for that, I apologize.

i just don't understand why anyone would a) spend money on a dog that's been bred when there are millions of dogs who will GUARANTEE TO DIE if they're not found a home. It's like, "not only will I waste my money on a dog, but by doing so, I'll also sign some other dog's death warrant. Just seems wrong.

My opinion, and I apologize for my harshness. It's obviously your choice, and I respect that, even if I don't agree with it.

Geez, not a good arguement,,,,,personal choice is why we live in America. This will quickly lead to the swoop arguement...:P

Actually, it's an excellent argument based on your info - I said that it is their personal choice to pay for a dog while others die. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. If that's not personal choice, I don't know what is.

>i just don't understand why anyone would a) spend money on a dog that's
>been bred when there are millions of dogs who will GUARANTEE TO DIE if
>they're not found a home.

Any dog is pretty much guaranteed to die if they don't find a home.

The difference is whether or not one is supporting the status quo of homeless dogs dying or whether one facilitates reducing that number.

Rescuing does not limit personal choice. Most breed-specific rescues know just as much about their pups as any breeder will.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'm doing some research on my own - but does anyone know if there is a "best practice" or "industry standard" for breeders on continuing the puppy vaccinations if they do not find homes after 10 - 12 weeks?
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

The difference is whether or not one is supporting the status quo of homeless dogs dying or whether one facilitates reducing that number.

Rescuing does not limit personal choice. Most breed-specific rescues know just as much about their pups as any breeder will.

Not true, (Remember I am on teh rescue if you can side) But, I wanted certain traits in my Rottie, I got them, I intend to let him have offspring.... Rescues are never breedable! You have that one dog, then they are gone...

Yoru blaming the responcible owners with a blanket statement like that, when it is the scum that throw a dog/cat away every time they move, or dicide they are too much trouble!

Rescues are never breedable!

Well, you got me there. Wouldn't it be ironic, though, if they were!

I meant to include this in my earlier post: For those looking for any dog, cat, et al.--breed-specific or otherwise--be sure to visit Petfinder.com and play with the search categories. :)

Rescues are never breedable!

Well, you got me there. Wouldn't it be ironic, though, if they were!

I meant to include this in my earlier post: For those looking for any dog, cat, et al.--breed-specific or otherwise--be sure to visit Petfinder.com and play with the search categories. :)

I have yet to make a rip to the animal shelter and not found a worthy pet,.,,only the best and healthiest are still there, so you are safe!

I simply wanted to keep this blood line!

I'm doing some research on my own - but does anyone know if there is a "best practice" or "industry standard" for breeders on continuing the puppy vaccinations if they do not find homes after 10 - 12 weeks?

They should continue with the vaccination schedule until the puppy is placed in a home. They cannot guarantee the animal's health otherwise. They are that puppy's owner and it is each pet owner's responsibility to get their pets vaccinated.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

so a little update...Chloe was discharged from the hospital today. We have some meds to finish up over the next few days but doctor thinks she'll make a strong recovery and no need to keep her there. She was extremely happy to be out and about in the back yard. She looks so much more comfortable now. She is napping now - but even looks better while sleeping.

She makes me smile. Strong girl.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

>The difference is whether or not one is supporting the status quo of
>homeless dogs dying or whether one facilitates reducing that number.

By getting a dog from a breeder OR a rescue center you are helping ensure that that one dog survives - which is all you really can do.

By getting a dog from a breeder OR a rescue center you are helping ensure that that one dog survives - which is all you really can do.

One can help reduce the number of homeless pets killed by rescuing instead of purchasing from a breeder. Simply having a pet is not all one can do to reduce the number of homeless pets dying.

I would cite references, but it seems like you are baiting for something else.

>One can help reduce the number of homeless pets killed by rescuing
>instead of purchasing from a breeder.

There's a few breeders near Perris who sometimes give away puppies at the DZ due to lack of demand. I guess I don't see why it's preferable to have them euthanized.

so a little update...Chloe was discharged from the hospital today. We have some meds to finish up over the next few days but doctor thinks she'll make a strong recovery and no need to keep her there. She was extremely happy to be out and about in the back yard. She looks so much more comfortable now. She is napping now - but even looks better while sleeping.

She makes me smile. Strong girl.

She's beautiful. Great name too. How big do you expect she'll get? How has the breeder responded thus far?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Well mom is 70lbs and dad was 85lbs...so probably around 70 lbs is my guess. She is 6months old and is 35 pounds right now. She doesn't look like she lost much weight at the hospital.

The breeder has basically said "sorry" and said she did not do it intentionally (sell us a sick dog). She said she would stand by the contract. Well that basically means I could have brought Chloe back with the Parvo virus and got my money back.

I've sent her the vet bill (a touch under a fortune - thats why she is now our Platinum Retriever :) ) and asked what she could do to help offset the costs. I haven't heard back from her yet on that.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.