skygirl1

1975 Norton Commando

I am looking for another oil to use in my bike. I have been using BG Shear Power 20-50, but it will take a week to get it. I need any suggestions for another oil to use. I have heard it would be okay to use Mobile 1 v-twin or Valvoline. I am needing an oil that is a synthetic blend.
Any suggestions would be great!;)
I really want to ride this week:D
" Mean people SUCK!"

In fact, you can see some of the super-oil on the ground under the bikes...

:D

That is actually from my truck...It parks there every day, and I haven;t found the leak on it yet! the bikes? Mine, Nothing, the blue one, MAYBE a drop everyr month, the Black one, abotu 5 drops a day, BUT, These old harleys pump oil into the promarie cahin, and that is the oil you see on the ground under the oldies! ( I shut off my chin oiler, I run a belt)

no matter what you have heard switching from a synthetic to normal oil or a blend and back will not hurt your engine. you gotta use the right weight but hell you can even make your own blend if you want to. mixing 50/50 natural and a synthetic is cheaper than buying a blend. and a better product than you will buy.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I have heard that Valvoline would be a good choice. My only concern is going from a synthetic blend to pure synthetic?[:/]
wattcha think?B|

It's a '75 bike DONT use Synth in it. it's not designed for it. Valvoline was top shelf when your bike was built it will run perfectly fine on it.
I runn ALL my 70-80s Guzzis on Valvoline.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's a '75 bike DONT use Synth in it. it's not designed for it. Valvoline was top shelf when your bike was built it will run perfectly fine on it.

You're joking, right Squeak? Have you heard any verifiable (i.e. not third-hand) cases of engines being damaged by a properly selected and appropriate synthetic oil? I never have.

What does the age or the design have to do with whether or not you can use a synthetic oil? The fact that the synthetics we have today weren't available then, has nothing to do with whether you can use them or not. It "wasn't designed for it" simply because they weren't available.

As long as you use an oil with the same viscosity and a similar or better service rating, the synthetics lubricate better than any of the conventional oils and are more stable with respect to heat and oxidation (a definite plus with air-cooled engines).

What you are likely to find with a good synthetic is that the engine will run slightly cooler due to enhanced lubricity, which is a good thing in my books, regardless of whether the engine was designed and built in the 1930s or currently.

Find a good synthetic like Amsoil and be happy. It is definitely not as cheap as conventional oils, but your bike will love you for it. ;)

I have heard that Valvoline would be a good choice. My only concern is going from a synthetic blend to pure synthetic?[:/]
wattcha think?B|

Thank you for all the input and compliments. I could not have picked that bike out myself. A very good friend of mine pointed me the Norton way.
I did talk with a few people that did say the very same thing about using Synthetic. That is why I am worried.
I have until monday to decide[:/]
" Mean people SUCK!"

You're joking, right Squeak? Have you heard any verifiable (i.e. not third-hand) cases of engines being damaged by a properly selected and appropriate synthetic oil? I never have.

What does the age or the design have to do with whether or not you can use a synthetic oil? The fact that the synthetics we have today weren't available then, has nothing to do with whether you can use them or not. It "wasn't designed for it" simply because they weren't available.

As long as you use an oil with the same viscosity and a similar or better service rating, the synthetics lubricate better than any of the conventional oils and are more stable with respect to heat and oxidation (a definite plus with air-cooled engines).

What you are likely to find with a good synthetic is that the engine will run slightly cooler due to enhanced lubricity, which is a good thing in my books, regardless of whether the engine was designed and built in the 1930s or currently.

Find a good synthetic like Amsoil and be happy. It is definitely not as cheap as conventional oils, but your bike will love you for it. ;)

The bike WONT love you fot it at all, the bikes were designed to run with mineral oils, wasting good money on expensive Syth is nothing but a WASTE of money.
I have over 300,oookms on 2 of my bikes and they run on nothing BUT Valovoline, I ride with a lots of guys on 30+ year old bikes and NONE of them find any use for $$$$Expensive Syth oils, all of our bikes are daily riders not show room bikes.

Skygirl, Buy a good branded non synth oil and change it regularly the bike will be more than fine on it.
Dont fall into the tosspot quarter that says it will run better with Sythn. it wont the bike is OLD TECH the tollerances in the engine and engine revs do not warrant a snyth oil.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think I will have to do one of them poll thingys:P
I have been getting PM's from experienced riders, and it is half and half right now. I am either going to do the valvoline 20-50 synth or make my own blend.
hmmmmm:S
I have till tomarow to decide

" Mean people SUCK!"

[reply the bike is OLD TECH the tollerances in the engine and engine revs do not warrant a snyth oil.

that is one thing i have heard. you don't have to use a synth. you may be wasting money by using a synth. BUT you will not hurt your engine by using a synth or a blend or switching back and forth. am i wrong in thinking this?????. I have a truck that i have used natural, full synth, a store bought blend, and my own 50% 50% HOMEMADE blend and 190,000 miles later it's still going strong
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

[reply the bike is OLD TECH the tollerances in the engine and engine revs do not warrant a snyth oil.

that is one thing i have heard. you don't have to use a synth. you may be wasting money by using a synth. BUT you will not hurt your engine by using a synth or a blend or switching back and forth. am i wrong in thinking this?????. I have a truck that i have used natural, full synth, a store bought blend, and my own 50% 50% HOMEMADE blend and 190,000 miles later it's still going strong

Using Synth shouldnt hurt, but there's no decernable benefits in old well worn engines
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?