Squeak

Beginner Climber

I'm starting indoor climbing, (with the vision of doing more outdoor stuff when appropriately skilled).
Can you more experienced folks recommend a decent beginners harness and shoes?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm starting indoor climbing, (with the vision of doing more outdoor stuff when appropriately skilled).

Anything that doesn't let you go "down"!
BTW,,we been missing you at Neds!
My Son:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/?action=edit¤t=sandman029.jpg&startOption=0

First thing is to check with the climbing gym and the folks who will be doing any outdoor instruction because they may have specific requirements. This is especially applicable to any carabiner for the harness or belay device you may buy.

If you plan to climb outdoors, make sure the harness has gear loops for clipping stuff onto. Other than that, just get a basic cheapo harness.

You can tear the crap out of an expensive pair of sticky climbing shoes if you don't know how to use them (esp. on real rock). Don't go for the hottest shoes available. Get a pair of shoes with decent ankle support, stiff soles, and durable rubber to start with.

I'll get flamed for this, but starting off with plain old hiking boots and then going to something like Converse High Top basketball shoes will really teach you to use your feet and toes to feel the rock.

Not an expert, but been around.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Mad Rock makes some great and affordable shoes that work just as well for beginner to advanced climbers, the Flash Rock is a great all-around shoe. I also prefer velcro instead of laces. Just make sure they are real tight on your feet, usually a size smaller than your street shoes. Evolve, La Sportiva, and Scarpa all make a good shoe too.

I have a Mammut harness but I really like some of the new Metolius harnesses that have come out lately.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I'll get flamed for this, but starting off with plain old hiking boots and then going to something like Converse High Top basketball shoes will really teach you to use your feet and toes to feel the rock.

Hahahaha.. and you might get laughed out of the gym too. :P

beginner gear-
5.10 coyote's ($100US)
black diamond harness ($100US)
black diamond ATC ($15US)

dont realy need a chalk bag in the gym b/c everyone else puts enough on the wall for you to use.

if you get super expensive shoes for the gym, you will destroy the rubber super super super fast!
IHYD

beginner gear-
5.10 coyote's ($100US)
black diamond harness ($100US)
black diamond ATC ($15US)

dont realy need a chalk bag in the gym b/c everyone else puts enough on the wall for you to use.

if you get super expensive shoes for the gym, you will destroy the rubber super super super fast!

Mad Rock Flash Rock ($75)
Black Diamond - makes some nice harnesses too ($100) sounds reasonable.

You should learn to belay with a standard ATC I prefer Petzel's Reverso for a standard ATC, it's a bit more $ than the bucket. Some climbers will want you to eventually use an auto-locking belay device, I prefer the Cinch over the GriGri.

You'll prob want a chalk bag or borrow one, their not expensive, plus you'll want the practice of chalkin-up while on the wall.

Hahahaha.. and you might get laughed out of the gym too. :P

That might be the case in climbing gyms, where one can have a latte between pitches.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

i hate grigri's..that is what causes the most accidents in climbing, that and rappeling.....to easy to fuck up, i dont use one....squeak is light enough that any belay device will be fine (including a figure 8) that he doesnt need the high friction side as well..
IHYD

B|B|

Go for comfort, simplicity and then price, would be my call.

So initially a pair of good fitting training shoes (Runners/Sneakers:S). Then later you can go for some rock rubbers:P - again go for comfort (don't believe those folks that wear over tight shoes - they hurt!! - BUT make sure that they look cool:P

A comfortable harness (with Gear loops), that is easily adjustable and simple to put on (some are way too complex).

Get a chalk bag too. ...... and tight threads .... camp it up as much as you can:P

Have fun mate

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Too much advice on brands here.

climbing shoes are like ski boots or rollerblades - certain brands are cut for certain proportioned feet - what works great for you buddy might really suck for you

go to the climbing gym or REI and try on a TON of shoes until you find a shoe that's snug all around your feet and doesn't twist when you get on the wall - and this means put your foot on shallow bumps on toe, the inside and outside edges, try it a lot - you'll soon find a shoe that fits good and doesn't twist - I like my shoe really tight and with a technical toe shape

there's a lot of info the sales guy can give - lined shoes vs not, velcro vs laces, toe camber, etc - lined shoes don't stretch, so that matters to size. Everything else doesn't matter as long as find a good fit and no twist

When you get a lot better, more technical shoes are out there and you sacrifice comfort for a certain type of fit and performance - you don't need to worry about that now

harnesses - a good shop will have a rope to hang from, try on a few and see what you like. This doesn't really matter much either.

personally? shoes - When I started, I liked Mad Rocks for the price and rubber and heel. But I climb something else today. Harness? I own a Petzl - I like the way the leg bands are cut/shaped for comfort, the self locking buckles, etc

get thee to a good store, any advice on specific brands etc is pointless here - at least for shoes

With shoes, harness, add a simple belay device, carabiner and chalk bag and that rounds out the starter kit -

IMO - any belay device is fine, the autolocking stuff might matter if you don't know how to lock off without tiring, it's pretty easy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This was my first harness it was great. It felt comfy and for 50$ it does everything a beginner will need.

http://www.rei.com/product/765510

Personally I use a black diamond atc. I trust them a bit more than gri gri's but its mostly a personal preference. Choose a device and knowing how it works is the most important thing. A device is no substitute for a good attentive belayer with proper training and knowledge.

Like a few have pointed out don't buy expensive shoes. Personally I bought these as my first shoe. They were comfy. You WILL destroy your first shoes so get something cheap and comfy.

http://www.rei.com/product/746020

chalk bags are cheap but you may want to think of a few things before you get one.

1. You want to chose whether you want one with strap that goes around your waist, or if you want one that you need to beaner onto your harness generally on your haul loop. Personally I chose one with a strap so I could wear it while bouldering in sweats. Also, the strap brings the bag higher on your body which i feel makes for easier acces; compared to a beaner on your haul loop.

2. You may want to think about getting one with a little zipper pocket. In this pocket you can put a few handy things you may want to have on an outdoor climb. Such as a cell phone, car keys etc.

Also, check out rockclimbing.com. If you think skydivers have alot of drama wait until you read the rockclimbing forums. But after sifting through the bs there is generally some good info.

Good luck on your climbing.
“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."-William Arthur Ward

OK after reading through here, and looking online (OZ is WAY Dearer than the USofA)

I'll be trying shoes on to see what works but i like the price of the following item.

Black Diamond Momentum AL Harness $54.95 ($120.00+ in OZ)

Five Ten Coyote VCS Climbing Shoe $85.95 ($150.00+ in OZ)
Mammut Basic Chalk Bag $14.90 ($ 29.00+ in OZ)

So $155.80 USD ($167.64AUD) Versus $299.00 AUD

So when i find a pair of shoes that work for me, I'll need someone from the USofA to accept and then resend the good to me. Anyone want to volunteer :)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

OK Ordered

Black Diamond Momentum AL Harness $54.95 ($120.00+ in OZ)

Evolv Defy Climbing Shoe $85.95 ($169.00+ in OZ)
Mammut Basic Chalk Bag $14.90 ($ 29.00+ in OZ)

looking forward to ditching the rental shoes:)

My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Good set up.

I know it's not state of the at but at my level and for the forseeable furture i think it will work fine for indoor stuffs:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?